Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime J_C starts own Jewtube channel about gaming - now with broken english!

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
You know what? I did an english episode just for your amusement guys! Keep in mind, that I haven't spoken english for a long time this much, and this was all done in a single recording, improvising. Video coming soon.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Here it is in its full glory. God, I made so many mistakes in english. It was strange to hear it back. Anyway, bombs away:

Blaine , you will like this one. :smug: (I'm gonna get so much flak, oh shit!)

Kem0sabe

Arcane
It's nearly incomprehensible, i recommend you stick with your native language (sounds much nicer).

Also, you need to breath, pause, let the viewer digest what you are saying, right now its just like one huge paragraph with no spacing and size 7 font. If you are uncomfortable, there are a lot of drugs that help.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
It's nearly incomprehensible, i recommend you stick with your native language (sounds much nicer).

Also, you need to breath, pause, let the viewer digest what you are saying, right now its just like one huge paragraph with no spacing and size 7 font. If you are uncomfortable, there are a lot of drugs that help.
Thanks, I deserved it. :D I know I was talking too fast, without pauses. But this was thrown together in an hour, withour re-recordings, with some editing.

But is it really incomprehensible? I know my pronounciation is not too good, but I hoped that an english speaking person would understand it.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
But is it really incomprehensible? I know my pronounciation is not too good, but I hoped that an english speaking person would understand it.

With proper recording equipment, editing and if you take your time to speak calmly, i think you will be much more comprehensible.

This guy is probably one of the most natural sounding tech video bloggers on youtube, and hes black. Why does he sound so good and look so natural? Practice and good gear/editing sensibility.

https://www.youtube.com/user/marquesbrownlee

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Maybe you're better off writing something down beforehand and reading it out loud afterwards because

then uhhhh, Chr- uhhh, Chris Roberts kick- uhhhh
Come on, that's the beauty of it. It is improvising, it would be even more monotonous if I write it down. :D The main reason is that I didn't use my english vocal skills for a looooong time. If I make a few videos, practice a little, it will get better. So this youtube stuff is also good for some english practice. :)

I cut out the worst of those by the way, you could imagine how awful the original was. :D

Last edited:

buzz

Arcane
I'd say keep some bullet points at least, or maybe a few rehearsals before recording the thing.

Last edited:

Melan

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! I helped put crap in Monomyth
Public speaking is a learned skill; you've got to build it through practice. You are more relaxed in the Hungarian test episode. Being relaxed helps a lot, making you sound natural. An understandable, conversational tone is what I'd be shooting for. That said, not bad for a start. The length is about as much as I am willing to listen through, and the topics are fine.

And thanks for not making it a 444.hu-style edgy shitfest.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Public speaking is a learned skill; you've got to build it through practice. You are more relaxed in the Hungarian test episode. Being relaxed helps a lot, making you sound natural. An understandable, conversational tone is what I'd be shooting for. That said, not bad for a start. The length is about as much as I am willing to listen through, and the topics are fine.

And thanks for not making it a 444.hu-style edgy shitfest.
You are right. Thing is, I was always a terrible public speaker, still am. But I enjoy this youtube stuff, so maybe this will help me build up this skill a bit. I know I felt more relaxed in the hungarian episode, but more people was interested in the english one. So I decided to do just that, I will try to improve it a lot of course. And as I said earlier, it will also help my english skill.

I also greatly appreciate your feedback. (Köszi szépen. :) )

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
And finished the 3rd one. I decided that I do it in english and hungarian too. It is not that much extra work. And it is easier to do the english one if I have the basic stuff in hungarian. There is less "uuummm, aarrrh, ooohhh" in the english one, so that's progress I guess. Now if only I could sound more confident, I sometimes speak as if I am afraid to talk. :D
So, in hungarian:

And in english:

buzz

Arcane
The one in hungarian certainly sounds better, make sure you do some kind of "promoting" on whatever hungarian gaming websites exist out there.

Also, lower the volume (or just cut the audio) of the footage in the background. It gets distracting.

sser

Arcane
Developer
For what it's worth, I wrote everything down when I did the Close Combat vid. Also did multiple takes. My voice is still largely unsalvageable by YouTube measurements. You either got it or you don't. And by "it" I mostly mean a British accent or a good-looking face.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
It is strange that the Metro Redux video only got 50 views, while the Star Citizen one got 200 in the same time period, despite Star Citizen one being lower quality. And I advertised Redux on more places. Maybe the title: Redux This! was not interesting enough, or it didn't catch people's eyes? Or the thumbnail: Metro ReSux was turning down people?

Thane Solus

Arcane
yeah JC you need more click bait trashy titles, see kotraku or other prestigious gaming sites, otherwise the mongoloids wont click :)))) Gaming press today is a cesspool, i usually just watch a few decent LPs on some games i like, and rarely check out sites like RPS for interesting indie games or just go to press release sites and look for games.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
I resampled my voice, it is much louder now. Unfortunately this brought out some artifacts, which are the result of my shitty microphone, but overall this sounds much better IMO.

Last edited:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
LOL, I got a 30 day ban on the Escapist, just because I posted my latest video in their forum. Because that's advertising. What a piece of garbage, will never set my foot on that site again.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom