Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

JA2 vs X-COM: UFO Defense in 2022

ValeVelKal

Arcane
LOL at UFO Defense and XCOM Apocalypse being considered as "cRPGs" according to Lilura.

Anyway, I find JA2 stronger than XCOM:Terror from the deep, itself marginally better than XCOM:UFO Defense. The endgame of both UFO Defense and TFTD if a bit weak in my opinion, due to the poor "psy combat" balancing. Black Gate is very strong as well, though much less polished.

Last edited:

Mazisky

Magister
That is a billion dollars question.

I honestly think they are the 2 only, unsurpassed, true masterpieces of their genre, that many tried to clone and failed miserably because they wanted a new unappealing take rather than simply just copy paste what was done well.

But if I really have to answer I would say Ufo Defense for the Strategic Layer and atmosphere and Ja2 for the tactical part.

Pegultagol

Erudite
I think X-Com is as close to being that classic 'perfect' game as anything I've played. It has a strong foundation in turn based strategy, which stands on its own, but the strategic layer that ties everything together is quite deep and very elegant in execution. Its repetition that progresses along a dynamic rhythm, feeding like a clockwork into systems that doesn't feel like a grind, along perfect pacing with consistent feel of wonder and discovery. The comic inspired sprites and music and sound effects elevate it to another level to being a standout classic that comes under just 25 MB I think.

JA2, especially with the v1.13 mod, is such a mind-bogglingly massive game in terms of interlocking mechanics and content it is the Sagrada Familia of games imo. A bunch of inspired people got together and saw how X-Com did better than JA and made it their life's mission to evolve it in all directions. Well, the mission still continues to this day. The user interface seems to be the only relic that dates back to 1999, as it struggles to keep everything together. I still can't quite grasp how the game came together, it's a like miracle that may not be repeated.

If I were to play multiple times one game on Ironman, I'd choose X-Com. But If I had a seed of progressive save file and use it to branch out to explore many different possibilities and cool situations, I'd play JA2.

KainenMorden

Educated
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Thanks for all the feedback guys. I know both are great and should be played, it's just interesting to read experienced tacticool plyers give their opinions and comparing and contrasting certain aspects of the games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom