Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

JA2 vs X-COM: UFO Defense in 2022

KainenMorden

Educated
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Do you prefer one over the other? modded or unmodded?

BrotherFrank

Nouveau Riche
Patron
Ja2, preferably with that mod that’s seen as standard, forgot name of it. But the game still holds well without it so wins the vanilla award for me.

Og xcom out of the box is ok but its full of little things that havent aged well really needs openxcom at the very least.
Once we start factoring in mods though xcom wins since there are quite a few decent total conversions.

KainenMorden

Educated
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Ja2, preferably with that mod that’s seen as standard, forgot name of it. But the game still holds well without it so wins the vanilla award for me.

Og xcom out of the box is ok but its full of little things that havent aged well really needs openxcom at the very least.
Once we start factoring in mods though xcom wins since there are quite a few decent total conversions.
thanks for the reply

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I find OpenXcom much more varied and interesting than JA2. The main thing JA2 has over OpenXcom is the mercenary personalities and their interactions. And some humour.

Self-Ejected

Dadd

Self-Ejected
Best Isometric cRPGs
Ranked in order of their greatness, the best isometric cRPGs are as follows:

Jagged Alliance 2 (99%). The closest to perfection as one can get: a masterpiece of game design that will never be beaten. Jagged Alliance 2 really is in a league of its own. Ranked 1st all-time in Best Isometric RPGs, 1st all-time in Best Turn-based RPGs, 1st all-time in Best Combat RPGs, 1st all-time in Best Party-based RPGs and 4th all-time in Best Reactive RPGs. Thus, it receives its crown as the King of Kings.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Jagged Alliance 2, especially with mods, is best starting off. Everything is just great. The problem is there is that the default campaign feels like the only worthwhile one, none of the mods have a campaign that lives up to it. Whereas X-COM has the better long game, so to speak, as you aren't going over the same area in the same order, even if there are limited maps in that.

KainenMorden

Educated
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
I find OpenXcom much more varied and interesting than JA2. The main thing JA2 has over OpenXcom is the mercenary personalities and their interactions. And some humour.
Thanks, I respect your opinion and appreciate you taking the time to respond. Also good to see the last of the old guard of the codex still active, I haven't seen too many 07 or before join dates here.

KainenMorden

Educated
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Jagged Alliance 2, especially with mods, is best starting off. Everything is just great. The problem is there is that the default campaign feels like the only worthwhile one, none of the mods have a campaign that lives up to it. Whereas X-COM has the better long game, so to speak, as you aren't going over the same area in the same order, even if there are limited maps in that.
What mods do you recommend for JA2?

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
1.13 is what I usually use, though one usually has to mess around with the settings a bit to get it right.

KainenMorden

Educated
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
1.13 is what I usually use, though one usually has to mess around with the settings a bit to get it right.
thanks

KazikluBey

Cipher
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
thanks
There's also Stracciatella, which is just vanilla with quality of life improvements. 1.13 is huge and doesn't have sensible defaults, I think you pretty much have to mess around with the .ini files, but that's difficult if you haven't even played the game before so you know what to change.

KainenMorden

Educated
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
thanks
There's also Stracciatella, which is just vanilla with quality of life improvements. 1.13 is huge and doesn't have sensible defaults, I think you pretty much have to mess around with the .ini files, but that's difficult if you haven't even played the game before so you know what to change.
Thanks for taking the time to post

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
JA2 with Stracciatella. Get a nightly build because they fixed some annoying issues and haven't pushed out a new stable version.

FriendlyMerchant

Best Isometric cRPGs
Ranked in order of their greatness, the best isometric cRPGs are as follows:

Jagged Alliance 2 (99%). The closest to perfection as one can get: a masterpiece of game design that will never be beaten. Jagged Alliance 2 really is in a league of its own. Ranked 1st all-time in Best Isometric RPGs, 1st all-time in Best Turn-based RPGs, 1st all-time in Best Combat RPGs, 1st all-time in Best Party-based RPGs and 4th all-time in Best Reactive RPGs. Thus, it receives its crown as the King of Kings.
Wait a second... Fallout 1 and 2 are in the trimetric perspective, not the isometric perspective. Lilura is a hack.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
OpenXcom with mods. Since it allows for failure to a higher degree. JA2 also feels like it demands more from you. Combat can get really autistic at times, which is not bad per say, but it makes some encounters take a really long time.

Endemic

Arcane
OpenXcom with mods. Since it allows for failure to a higher degree. JA2 also feels like it demands more from you. Combat can get really autistic at times, which is not bad per say, but it makes some encounters take a really long time.

Default weapon ranges in JA2 are unreasonably short and the weapon progression is slow without mods. X-COM lets you fire across the whole map from the beginning.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
JA2: he who has the longest gun wins. I remember recruiting a couple of expensive mercs solely to get their long range rifles, instead of being virtually impotent with pistols.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom