Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Jade Empire is better than whatever shit you're playing

RegionalHobo

Scholar
path of wuxia or tale of wuxia are much better games in my opinion

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
The village wasn't too bad. Speedhack is the best thing ever. I'm almost at a big fight and I have some new tricks. :bounce:

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Trust me any bitching about this game is 99% from people who got owned by the first few bosses so quit, or didn't even play it and say EWWW because it is from the worst era in gaming (2005) and because they want to push the it sucks agenda to feel better about not playing it.

Dude, I finished the game. According to GOG it took me 21 hours 49 minutes, so it's neither long nor particularly difficult. I breezed through it, using 3 or 4 styles. Defeated all the bosses, collected all the power ups. Almost fell asleep in the process.

And it has nothing in common with Dark Souls. Jade Empire is too simplistic to even compare.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Trust me any bitching about this game is 99% from people who got owned by the first few bosses so quit, or didn't even play it and say EWWW because it is from the worst era in gaming (2005) and because they want to push the it sucks agenda to feel better about not playing it.

Dude, I finished the game. According to GOG it took me 21 hours 49 minutes, so it's neither long nor particularly difficult. I breezed through it, using 3 or 4 styles. Defeated all the bosses, collected all the power ups. Almost fell asleep in the process.

And it has nothing in common with Dark Souls. Jade Empire is too simplistic to even compare.

1) I don't believe you 2) Either way you used a boring build.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

1) Don't really care about what a guy who jerks off to JE believes.
2) If the game can be easily beaten with a "boring build" it's not very well designed...

Last edited:

Flying Dutchman

Learned
All I can say is Bioware at least tried to do something different with Jade Empire, and it at least was finished vs. their more recent releases.

I guess.

Derringer

Prophet
I get that garbage is more enjoyable with speedhacks but you're still playing through garbage. That's the only way I can rationalize people enjoying shit like Borderlands beyond using multiplayer as an excuse. I can't think of too many wuxia-themed RPGs that are actually fun.

Tigranes

Arcane
Is this what it feels like when someone says "omg I've played Oblivion and Diablo before but holy shit this Fallout 4 game is really complex!!!"

I played Jade Empire, and finished it in one sitting. We rented an Xbox from a local game store for a lark, and I had nothing else to do that day. 8-10hours and it was done. I really liked that they tried to do an oriental setting (however kitschy and Disney), and there were some fun ideas in there.

Primarily, though, I just remember the very opening scene when the game slaps you in the face and screams HELLO I AM YOUR MENTOR WHO WILL BETRAY YOU LATER AND TURN OUT EVIL TOTALLY UNLIKE REVAN OR ARIBETH RIGHT??? ALSO YOUR KUNG FU HAS A SECRET FLAW THAT NEVER SHOWS UP IN THE GAME BUT I KNOW WHAT IT IS HAHA NOTHING WILL GO WRONG RIGHT??? It was like a god damn Teletubbies mystery.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot

1) Don't really care about what a guy who jerks off to JE believes.
2) If the game can be easily beaten with a "boring build" it's not very well designed...
I guess, all the more reason to pick the right shit.

Renevent

Cipher
WTF...the game isn't even remotely difficult...and the Dark Souls comparison is pure retardation.
Why because beating Dork Souls is your greatest achievement in life?

What? I'm not a "power gamer" and don't even care about that kind of shit. Fact is Jade Empire isn't hard and is in fact it's pretty casual/consolized.

Flying Dutchman

Learned
Primarily, though, I just remember the very opening scene when the game slaps you in the face and screams HELLO I AM YOUR MENTOR WHO WILL BETRAY YOU LATER AND TURN OUT EVIL TOTALLY UNLIKE REVAN OR ARIBETH RIGHT??? ALSO YOUR KUNG FU HAS A SECRET FLAW THAT NEVER SHOWS UP IN THE GAME BUT I KNOW WHAT IT IS HAHA NOTHING WILL GO WRONG RIGHT??? It was like a god damn Teletubbies mystery.

One problem (which might be solved with NuBioware) is that you could start predicting Bioware-stamped stories and characters because they tended to fall back on the same tropes, especially ones they'd used before.

With NuBioware, the slate might be wiped clean and just reduced to unpredictable modern-skewing nonsense.

Case in point: I've read some of Patrick Weekes shit, and man, that idiot cannot tell a story - he just jumbles together some rando characters with rando "clever" traits, shakes it up, then pours it out onto the floor and stamps the "story" as "done."

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
WTF...the game isn't even remotely difficult...and the Dark Souls comparison is pure retardation.
Why because beating Dork Souls is your greatest achievement in life?

What? I'm not a "power gamer" and don't even care about that kind of shit. Fact is Jade Empire isn't hard and is in fact it's pretty casual/consolized.
Depends completely on the build. If you just press the "balanced" button on level up then it is easy and really boring. I think that's what most people did. Try a Chi build and you die in 2 hits.

Reader

Scholar
HELLO I AM YOUR MENTOR WHO WILL BETRAY YOU LATER AND TURN OUT EVIL TOTALLY UNLIKE REVAN OR ARIBETH RIGHT??? ALSO YOUR KUNG FU HAS A SECRET FLAW THAT NEVER SHOWS UP IN THE GAME BUT I KNOW WHAT IT IS HAHA NOTHING WILL GO WRONG RIGHT???
Dropping shit on KotOR, NWN, JE all in one..
So bold, so progressive..
lTeletubbies
Ah, I see
they tended to fall back on the same tropes
Tropes are better than ruined expectations. Or plain bad but smart assing writing.

Tigranes

Arcane
HELLO I AM YOUR MENTOR WHO WILL BETRAY YOU LATER AND TURN OUT EVIL TOTALLY UNLIKE REVAN OR ARIBETH RIGHT??? ALSO YOUR KUNG FU HAS A SECRET FLAW THAT NEVER SHOWS UP IN THE GAME BUT I KNOW WHAT IT IS HAHA NOTHING WILL GO WRONG RIGHT???
Dropping shit on KotOR, NWN, JE all in one..
So bold, so progressive..
lTeletubbies
Ah, I see
they tended to fall back on the same tropes
Tropes are better than ruined expectations. Or plain bad but smart assing writing.

You need to talk in complete sentences if you want people to know what you're saying.

Raven and KOTOR was fine. But then you follow up with the exact same trope, except far more contrived, far more obvious, and far more awkward, telegraphing the entire hook in the very first scene, in your very next game? Just hilarious.

Reader

Scholar
But then you follow up with the exact same trope, except far more contrived, far more obvious, and far more awkward, telegraphing the entire hook in the very first scene, in your very next game?
When I first played I kinda suspected that the teacher would betray me. And when he DID betray me I liked it.
Simple but effective twist, never gets old. Boromir telegraphed everything too but LotR is still enjoyable.

Flying Dutchman

Learned
Raven and KOTOR was fine. But then you follow up with the exact same trope, except far more contrived, far more obvious, and far more awkward, telegraphing the entire hook in the very first scene, in your very next game? Just hilarious.

Yep x 1000

"Hey, Bioware, barrel is on the phone and would like you to stop scraping its bottom."

Lawntoilet

Prophet
Patron
Even in KotOR it bugged me a little in the reveal scene - the twist itself was fine, just the voice-overs of the foreshadowing (like "they say the Force can do terrible things to a mind") was a bit too much of the writers patting themselves on the back.
Anyway as far as JE goes, it had a cool setting, a few memorable characters and moments, and some interesting concepts but was ultimately a somewhat thin experience. Worth a playthrough if you're bored and don't have anything better lying around.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
There are so many styles in this game! I bet most people haven't even seen half of them. Chapter 2 sure does suck though. There is even more to the combat than I remembered. There is some Focus mode which is like bullet time or something, there is also the big smackdown which each style or ability has. I have lightning now that stuns everyone, freeze them in ice, etc. It got too easy and I'm just mashing 2 buttons on most fights to easily kill anything... Also it sucks how most enemies are magic immune seeing as that the build I wanna be... But I just got to Chapter 3 which is getting closer to the good stuff.

For what I remember there were a ton of fighting styles you could learn, but you only really have reasons to use 1 or 2 through the game

Last edited:

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
For what I remember there were a ton of fighting styles you could learn, but you only really have reasons to use 1 or 2 through the game
With the Mage you have to use 4 to get to where I am. But I think it gets better later. I remember the last chapter or two being pretty intense battles.

Sinatar

Arbiter
Sitting through Bioware's fucking awful kung fu fan fiction between shit awful combat encounters is not my idea of a good time.

This game sucks and blows simultaneously.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom