Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Jagged Alliance 3 from Haemimont Games

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Rato's Balance is exactly the mod I've been looking for to tip me over the edge to buy JA3 (though I'll still play vanilla first). Thanks!

Atlet

Arcane
Vatnik
Fine, im down for another playthrough. Needs to check out the new things they implemented in the game, anyway.

Oh, and are there any recent game that approaches the winning combination of tacticoolness/turn-based combat + char progression/leveling + squad management/strategy, much as JA3 did?

raeven

Educated
Fine, im down for another playthrough. Needs to check out the new things they implemented in the game, anyway.

Oh, and are there any recent game that approaches the winning combination of tacticoolness/turn-based combat + char progression/leveling + squad management/strategy, much as JA3 did?
Some people say troubleshooter, I tried it out and it wasn't at all to my taste though. I've heard wartales and battle brothers scratch the itch, but haven't played either. I believe both are procedurally generated and don't have much in the way of story, but I may be wrong about that.

Other than that... I'd suggest JA2 with stracciatella mod.

raeven

Educated
BB and wartales are medieval setting, so might not be the flavor of tacticool you're going for.

spectre

Arcane
It's as it's always been - a beggars can't be choosers type of genre. Especially if you want a modern setting, and even more so if you filter out blatant excum clones.
There are a few upcoming titles that look promising, but could still turn out shit (Urban Strife, maybe End State, but it's still vaporware until proven otherwise, Heatwave, Ascent of Ashes, Menace and Project Haven)

Out of the stuff that's actually released, people swear by Door Kickers, but I keep bouncing off of it. King Arthur I've tried and was okay, but that's fantasy (also, I had this feeling that the missions drag on a bit).
I've managed to get a decent tactical (not tacticool) experience out of Last Spell and Fights in Tight Spaces, if you can stomach the roguelite formula, it has pretty damn solid turn based action that's also fairly recent.
Wartales I've tried, I don't think it's randomly generated (but I've only played the demo and it was some time ago). The system looks akin to the Expeditions series if you happen to swing that way.
Decent, but felt a bit watered down and perhaps a bit too class-focused.
BB is of course excellent and should count as reasonably new (though it feels like ages since I last played it). If there's anything to add, don't be fooled by the graphics.
The devs did an excellent job making the combat very tactile and meaty and you'll quickly forget about the bobblehead characters.

Last edited:

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron

It's rare for tactics game to have the kind of squad management and strategic component found in Jagged Alliance 3. Ignoring that, good tactics games from the last few years:

• Troubleshooter: Abandoned Children (2020)
  • Dungeon of Naheulbeuk (2020, Tactical RPG)
  • Wasteland 3 (2020, Tactical RPG and Codex GotY)
  • Urtuk (2021)
  • Solasta (2021, Tactical RPG) and another two campaigns with the same engine
  • King Arthur: Knight's Tale (2022)

nPz954g.png
Z6Xqdt4.gif

yf9pYhG.png

Atlet

Arcane
Vatnik

Some people say troubleshooter, I tried it out and it wasn't at all to my taste though. I've heard wartales and battle brothers scratch the itch, but haven't played either. I believe both are procedurally generated and don't have much in the way of story, but I may be wrong about that.

Other than that... I'd suggest JA2 with stracciatella mod.

Already played w stracciatella lots of times. Just this year, I finished JA2 2 times with it. Troubleshooter might be incredibly deep, but its cringe anime, so its a pass.

Papill0n

Educated
Rato's Rebalance is a good mod. It adds a directional stance to weapons where firing at the same/close by targets requires less action points than shooting at targets outside the merc's view, a recoil system where strong characters have an easier time keeping their aim on target, full damage to autofire but increased critical hit chance for single shots, a short-range malus to scoped-up long distance rifles, bigger awareness cones around enemies to discourage overpowered melee kills, and plenty of other stuff. I would only recommend it after reaching the halfway point of normal JA3 first.

Smart Overwatch is useful. It stops your soldiers wasting their overwatch shots on impossible attempts at the target's torso and instead aiming for visible body parts. You can also manually set shot types and targets for overwatch.

I think the... uhh... Exit Wounds(?) option when starting a new game incorporates similar bleeding penalties as the defunct Bleeding Mod. It was introduced in 1.4 or 1.5.

Pinned Down is a good addition too. It causes your mercs and enemies both start losing action points from just getting shot at. Not sure if the Nexusmods version is still compatible, the one in Steam Workshop is more recent.

As for just QoL stuff, I like Interface Tweaks that adds all sorts of sensible ideas to the UI, mainly in the inventory. There were also SAY THE LINES -mods which cause all applicable merc banters to fire when there's a trigger for it in the conversation so you'll have multiple dudes interjecting when they have something to say. That one probably doesn't work in the current game, unfortunately.
Some of that stuff sounds very reasonable. Do you know if this all works with 1.5?

I just started using the mod editor and I'm obvously stuck with very basic stuff. I guess the first mod I make is one that gives more tactical options. Unlocking mobile shot and run and gun with more weapons instead of just smgs and pistols. There must be another way to balance the latter better than to give them a unique action that makes little sense being unique for them (if the animations at least looked like it could only be done with small, compact guns, fine, but the shots look exactly the same as normal shots, properly aimed from the shoulder, not like some crazy GTA sideways akimbo Uzi rush or whatever). I'd go for lower Action Points but there is not much room to manouver because someone decided that we should not have 20-25 action points per turn (such as Ja2) but only, say 10-15 usually. Stupid, stupid, stupid! Availability and other tweaks may bring them into balance, though, we'll see.

Oh and do poeple like the autofire mechanic or would a long burst (such as MGs have) be more fun for automatic weapons in general? Looks like I can only have one or the other on the same gun.

3 others

Scholar
Tested the mods briefly. Everything works in current game except for "say the lines". Even Pinned Down works despite not being updated since 2023.

Agreed on the "firing while running" animations. Blood's knife throws and the light gun specialties look idiotic, and for a long time I had a problem understanding what the enemy soldiers were doing and how they could cover so much ground and still get a few shots off (because I'm a retard who was playing this like JA2). I really wish they'd have put more resources into these animations, if only to speed them up if nothing else.

Papill0n

Educated
same here. It took me a while to get used to some of these functions. Funny enough, the more the game progresses the more I switch back to Ja2-style again. I guess it has to do with late game enemies such as PMCs not just zergrushing you, but many of them hold a good position and if their spotters see you, the ordnance experts further back will shoot 40mm grenades. Also, a bit of overwatch usually doesn't stop some of these walking tanks. I must confess I often end up noob-tubing them during my own turn rather than pumping tons of AP-ammo into their HP-bloat during overwatch. So I feel overwatch becomes less useful in late game because the rushers are not the problems.

I agree that many of the animations are bad. There are some more really effective special attacks that look... very underwhelming. Ice storm, Bullet Hell... they look like nothing, animation wise so that's really a missed chance there.

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
Snipers are good for suppressed kills before the combat starts, but once the enemies have located you a high marksmanship merc with a LMG is 10x as deadlier.

spectre

Arcane
Also, you need Fox to cheese it fully, cause she lets you pull off an extra shot before the scramble.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom