Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Jagged Alliance 3 from Haemimont Games

Togukawa

Savant
Patron

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Soldiers are standing there on edge with their action points saved up. When alerted, they can interrupt and take their turns, just like in all JA games ever. Not sure what the problem is here.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Soldiers are standing there on edge with their action points saved up. When alerted, they can interrupt and take their turns, just like in all JA games ever. Not sure what the problem is here.
The question is whether the interrupt happens as a result of some sort of check (in JA2 it was mainly based on character level, if I remember correctly) or if it happens automatically whenever a group of enemies are "activated", and it's not a proper turn where they spend AP but rather free movement which allows them to spread out and get into cover. I don't think it looks like an interrupt in the style of the old games at all, though it could just be poorly communicated or unfinished. I'm not sure what it looks like, really, because it doesn't look exactly like a pod system either. Not all enemies in a pod are moving every time.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yeah, I also noticed that while mercenary stats were carried over directly, there is no "Character Level" any more which is a huge deal as that's (at least a huge part of) what governed perception and interrupts in previous games.

Ninjerk

Arcane
I want RPGCodex posters as characters in a JA game. Histrionic ivory tower commies, brain-fogged perennialists, the guy that shows his asshole to all the other mercs to try to prove a point or something, etc.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I want RPGCodex posters as characters in a JA game. Histrionic ivory tower commies, brain-fogged perennialists, the guy that shows his asshole to all the other mercs to try to prove a point or something, etc.
Time to start cracking on that mod :)

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Do that, but only add RPGCodex posters who have JA portraits as their avatar. Although, that might not result in a lot of active posters now that I think of it.

deuxhero

Arcane
New Dev Diary. I only saw it because I was browsing Steam news to find something, so it seems poorly promoted.

https://community.jaggedalliance.com/index/dev-diaries/devdiary-1-game-vision-r3/

While many recent turn-based games have chosen to become more "abstract" and limit each character to 2-3 significant actions per turn, we went the opposite way. Jagged Alliance 3 gives you much more detailed control over every combat decision. Our Action Point system allows this precise management and mechanics like stances, aiming, body part shots and weapon firing modes allow you to customize your approach for every single shot.

Some of the hardest, but also most rewarding decisions in the project wеre who to keep from the original cast and who to sideline for potential future content, how to make these classic characters feel authentic and how to create new mercs that can stand on their own next to them. There is no single main character in Jagged Alliance, or rather each merc is a potential main character, so all of them should be worthy of this role!

Other than the character and personality of the mercs we had to consider their mechanical representation as well. We didn't want to put our characters in a narrow box so a classless combat and character development system seemed most appropriate. Even if a particular merc advertises himself as a "Doctor" or "Explosives expert", they can develop in any direction and are not limited by a predefined combat role or an artificial "class".

Beyond their raw mechanical stats (such as strength, marksmanship, leadership, etc.), mercs are further differentiated by various quirks and perks. Some of these are predefined for the particular merc (such as "psycho" or "claustrophobic") while others are gained as the merc levels up, allowing a degree of customization and specialization as the campaign progresses. We are itching to share more details, however this is a subject worthy of a separate "deep dive" DevDiary later on.

"Omryn" appears to be a new merc.

Ghulgothas

Arcane
Some other choice quotes.
organize your mercs in squads, travel around, capture territory, clash with enemy patrols, and intercept convoys with valuables. Time is the most important resource here - even when idle, your mercs can be put to good use in special operations. Healing wounds, repairing damaged equipment, organizing defenses, and scouting for valuable intel all take time, and since most of your mercs are operating on a contract, time is money!
Weapons can jam or break down, simulated bullets can penetrate materials and bodies to cause collateral damage and severe wounds persist for days instead of being magically healed in an instant.
Some of the hardest, but also most rewarding decisions in the project wеre who to keep from the original cast and who to sideline for potential future content, how to make these classic characters feel authentic and how to create new mercs that can stand on their own next to them. There is no single main character in Jagged Alliance, or rather each merc is a potential main character, so all of them should be worthy of this role!
Anyone wanna take bets on whose not going to make it?

Last edited:

Ghulgothas

Arcane
Alright here's what I was able to evidence from what they've put out so far. If they're actually going to start moving into their pre-release news cycle then this is better made sooner than later. Will keep updated going forward.
JA3-Castsheet-Nov-30.png
All of Haemimont's recent releases have a hefty DLC complement, too. Makes me wonder what fell plans they have in store for this.

Last edited:

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
JA is basically a dream made true for DLC factories. Rare gun DLC, gun attachment DLC, unlock new mercs DLC. Easy to implement, simply make the new stuff available on the game marketplace after the DLC is unlocked.

$100 for Mike DLC.

Haemimont, PM me here for my cut of the sales.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom