Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

1eyedking Japanese games are shit. Here's why.

Multi-headed Cow

I couldn't maintain suspension of disbelief when he was holding a whole slice of a pizza by the point in his mouth. I could maybe, maybe, go with it if it was a high fantasy setting and he was holding it by the crust in his mouth, but by the point? God damn retarded Japanese.

Achilles

Arcane
Black Cat said:
DamnedRegistrations said:
Can you guys give some concrete examples of verisimilitude breaking stuff in japanese games?

I'm assuming they watch something like this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGv5w3kCVHc

... and say something like "Good Lord, my suspension of disbelief is absolutely gone." while they adjust their monocle.

I don't think that's the problem. When you play a game like DMC3 or you watch a movie like the Expendables, you know beforehand that's it's going to be super corny and/or silly. But that's ok because you know it, the game knows it and noone (in their right mind) would expect anything more.

The problem lies with games that attempt to be "serious", build up a decent story and then blow it all to hell by introducing japanese silliness. It seems to me that japanese games are permanently stuck in "corny mode" and are mainly for people who don't think of their games as anything more. For people like me (generally referred to as storyfags here at the Codex), that makes it impossible to care for the plot or the characters.

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014
This thread delivers, i haven't seen something like this on codex for a long time :M

Black Cat said:
The Black Square of Kazimir Malevich is one of the most famous creations of Russian art in the last century. The first Black Square was painted in 1915 to become the turning point in the development of Russian avant-garde.

:lol:

Trash said:
Black Cat said:
The Black Square of Kazimir Malevich is one of the most famous creations of Russian art in the last century. The first Black Square was painted in 1915 to become the turning point in the development of Russian avant-garde.

:lol:

Prole.

I never doubted that peasants like you cannot into real art :smug:

Archibald

Arcane
The problem lies with games that attempt to be "serious", build up a decent story and then blow it all to hell by introducing japanese silliness. It seems to me that japanese games are permanently stuck in "corny mode" and are mainly for people who don't think of their games as anything more. For people like me (generally referred to as storyfags here at the Codex), that makes it impossible to care for the plot or the characters.

Gay space marines are much better.

Black Cat

Magister
Awor Szurkrarz said:
So, could someone recommend me some nice jap arcade games for PC?

Bloody Hellsinker.

Also Trouble Witches, Cloudphobia, PriZhm, Shikigami No Shiro 3, eXceed3rd Black Package, Alternative Sphere.

On MAME get ESP Ra.De, Guwange, Progear.

Those are the basic ones, i guess.

On other genres get yourself the Metal Slug collection for side scrolling pew pew and BlazBlue for a pretty cool fighting game with visual novel elements.

Then trade your soul for an XBOX and get Death Smiles. Then your life will be complete.

Zomg

Arbiter
So does the Codex have to be tolerant of JRPGs now that WRPGism lost these threads so bad? A Raghar in every thread? What have we done

Zomg

Arbiter
Well on the internet you can't actually die from losing an argument so there is an element of judgement to the process

FeelTheRads said:
now that WRPGism lost these threads so bad

How did it lose?

Indeed. The battle rages on

typesofgamers.jpg

rarewaves

Novice
Yeah its true but not all Japanese games are shit! I am not a Japanese but i like some of their games too.

Pablosdog

Prophet
who the fuck knows, but roshambo is an OLD fucking reference, whatever happened to that guy? he used to post on nma

Achilles

Arcane
Archibald said:

Gay space marines are much better.

I'm sure we can find a happy medium between gay space marines and 12-year ols boygirls, yes?

Zeus

Cipher
Alexandros said:
I'm sure we can find a happy medium between gay space marines and 12-year ols boygirls, yes?

And if you do find such a happy medium between them, let me know, so I can not be anywhere near your house, all right?

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Alexandros said:
Black Cat said:
DamnedRegistrations said:
Can you guys give some concrete examples of verisimilitude breaking stuff in japanese games?

I'm assuming they watch something like this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGv5w3kCVHc

... and say something like "Good Lord, my suspension of disbelief is absolutely gone." while they adjust their monocle.

I don't think that's the problem. When you play a game like DMC3 or you watch a movie like the Expendables, you know beforehand that's it's going to be super corny and/or silly. But that's ok because you know it, the game knows it and noone (in their right mind) would expect anything more.

Precisely. There are many great jap anime games that own from gameplay perspective. However, as they go none of them exhibits genuine sophistication in terms of world-creation. Indeed, most o they a stuck in perma corny mode and you simply expect from them to be anything more. Most people are fine with it. But since when codex is about most people?

There are also those games which attempt to be more complex but fail miserably exactly because the typical recycled anime approach simply fails to yield any kind of inventiveness. They may strive to tackle more ambitious issues but the moment nonsense character / story / setting design comes into picture they seemingly turn against themselves. It is extremely difficult to keep your face straight when at one moment you are locked in a :immersive grimdark epic: struggle agains "evil" empire with all the pump and another you chase after walking shrooms, cabbage or rabbit people. By the same token, when a leader of rebellion spills insipit bullshit about power of friendship, love and sacrifice, and then despite being undermanned and outgunned wins against elite forces of his enemy just because their bullets happen to deal less damage than his attack with fists (not because, god forbid, he had a really thought out plan for the occassion) which is in some twisted way is supposed to affirm the righteousness of his cause and badassery, one cannot say - "yeah that's perfectly plausible; suspension of disbelief satisfied."

As long as japs will insist on recycling the currently widespread mode of world-conception, there is not a faintest hope they will produce a game of, say, Fallout's quality.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom