Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

1eyedking Japanese games are shit. Here's why.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
I'm assuming they watch something like this...

Or in other words, you again stick your fingers in your ears and go "LALALALALALALALA".

Because, "I have this example here that has nothing to do with what you said, but it will totally prove you wrong" is argumentation in weaboo land.

PorkaMorka

Arcane
FeelTheRads said:
now that WRPGism lost these threads so bad

How did it lose?

Black Cat pretty much destroyed everyone.. 'cept me :smug: ... but my objection was very limited and specific all along, so its significance is limited.

As far as the rest of you guys though, it was basically pearl harbor.

4vq0yc.jpg

Zomg

Arbiter
I don't remember you verisimilitude guys gettin all angry when there are Roguelike threads. JRPGs ain't got shit on that for unrealism

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Could you give some example from games that try to build up a serious atmosphere and are considered good though? Something like SaGa Frontier or Vagrant Story or tactics ogre or ogre battle or Nocturne?

There are certainly story heavy games stuck in corny mode from the get go (Disgaea comes to mind) but I don't get where you pull this feeling of total betrayal out of. Generally if a game is going to have over the top stylized or ridiculous crap, it's obvious from the intro. FF series is admittedly pretty bad for pulling some extremely corny friendship/righteousness power out it's ass from nowhere to beat the big bad at some point. Most games do not.

The actual world concepts in japanese games tend to be a lot more detailed, original and interesting than western ones. Admittedly because there's a fuckton more of them, but that doesn't make the interesting fucked up shit less interesting. If your argument is that any world with rabbit people and walking mushrooms can't be taken seriously, then what the fuck do you expect, everything to be a LotR rehash? How are rabbit people any more fucked up than midget people who live in caves and have bearded women?

Bikini platemail is retarded and immersion breaking. A monster or sentient race I've never seen before isn't. I didn't rage out half an hour into Baldurs Gate because I thought grimlocs were a stupid monster. Though I definitely facepalmed when I walked into an inn and saw powerful rare magic items for sale for enough money to make owning an inn rather pointless.

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
DamnedRegistrations said:
Can you guys give some concrete examples of verisimilitude breaking stuff in japanese games? Preferably ones mentioned here as being good, instead of going back to the 3D FF games for the fiftieth time that everyone agrees is shit anyways? A self coherent unique world is what generally draws me into jrpgs I like. I can't recall any moment in Chrono Trigger, for example, where I thought: 'Wtf, that makes no sense at all in this world.' The worst offenders are probably a few jrpg staples like being free to ransack chests in people's houses (Plenty just tell you to take whatever you need anyways though, implying everyone is complicit) and characters sudden inability to do things like climb over knee high barriers to facilitate some puzzle gameplay.

These things don't strike me as being any more fucked up than, for example, the total inability to you a raise dead spell on any plot relevant character in a DnD setting, or stupidness of random encounters and the logistics they imply present in either kind of game.

You want me to give a fully detailed list of any games whose gameplay is reduced to shambles because of inconsistent approach to its game-world. Tough call, my brother. For two reasons.

1) I have never stated that lack of consistent world is downright gamebreaking. It may be (as per 3D FFs). I did assert, however, that botched setting and art design prevents best jap games from ever reaching the levels of their best western counterparts (as approved by Codex's gods ;) ).

2) There is also declined Codex's favourite meme: "its good for what it is". No matter how hard I will try to prove that such and such game is shit because of moronic setting, you will fallback to tired old argument: "yeah the setting's fucked but none of what you mentioned is gamebreaking and I see no way the things you point out break gameplay. Your arguments are moot so LOLOLOL you stupid faggit." You can't fight human nature where your convictions are at stake ;) I have been around Codex for too long not to know how it might end up :roll:

Nonetheless, I will attempt to illustrate my first point by scrutinizing one of the best jRPGs there are and my personal favourite in this category.
Chrono Trigger. Surprise, surprise. Admittedly a fine specimen of a good game design out there. If I remember correctly, it has around 16 possible endings. Many options, many secrets. Very high replayability value. Nice visuals (as anime visuals go), clunky but creative battle system (joining up attacks into a combo). Some great c&c out there. Honestly, had jRpgs gone this path instead of FF7, the :decline: might have never hit us so severly. It is a mighty good game... when you are 9-16 (max). For when you are older the good 'ol "it's good for what it is" hits the fan.

The art style in CT, the game-world, the characters are not designed to cater for more mature audiences. That's fair enough. The assumed mode befits a fairy-tale with a twist in it. I have nothing against my 11 old cousin playing and enjoying it. I also respect people who come here and highlight the CT's strong point for they are strong indeed. However, I will call any person over 18 who considers this to be sophisticated - a kidult.

Please compare this to Betrayal at Krondor, Dark Forces I or Discworld (games I played at about that age) and tell me with a straight face they are equal in terms of setting credibility.

One could argue that the things that made CT so great can be transplanted into a superb jap game with believeable characters and consistent universe dealing from more mature issues as a nice bonus. Yes!! By all means! This is exactly what I've been waiting for! A fine contender beating the shit out of not only Final Atrocities but also some of Codex approved games. I want that! (Sengoku Rance... you were so fucking close [hentai])

But you just know it's not gonna happen (Perhaps in some way it already happened - Planescape:Torment).

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Could you give some example from games that try to build up a serious atmosphere and are considered good though? Something like SaGa Frontier or Vagrant Story or tactics ogre or ogre battle or Nocturne?

You mean in western games? Seriously? Like Planescape Torment comes to my mind. And Fallout. And Arcanum. And The Witcher. And the Mask of Betrayer, And the Longest Journey. And the Lost Express. And Penumbra. And Betrayal at Krondor. And Return to Krondor when we are at it (mediocre gameplay, awesome atmosphere). And BG2. And Dark Sun. And Diablo I. And ...

Do you want me to compile you a list of examples how they manage to stay serious and be good at the same time? Does it really need explaining? Have you even finished any of them.

There are certainly story heavy games stuck in corny mode from the get go (Disgaea comes to mind) but I don't get where you pull this feeling of total betrayal out of.
Generally if a game is going to have over the top stylized or ridiculous crap, it's obvious from the intro. FF series is admittedly pretty bad for pulling some extremely corny friendship/righteousness power out it's ass from nowhere to beat the big bad at some point. Most games do not.

Hmm let me back up my point of view by supplying you with this short analysis of the first update in SMT III: Nocturne LP

when I'll get your opinion on that then we can talk about "stylized and ridiculous crap" obvious form the intro.

The actual world concepts in japanese games tend to be a lot more: detailed,

Detailed? How exactly? In terms of c&c, interactivity, interface, whatever? How do they compare to, for instance, Arcanum's level of detail? Care to elaborate?

no contest here

and interesting

Until they start to pull the crap out of their arses into the setting yes. After that, no.

than western ones.

Nigga... please. (this post is already going to be large as fuck without an obligatory image in this event).

Admittedly because there's a fuckton more of them, but that doesn't make the interesting fucked up shit less interesting. If your argument is that any world with rabbit people and walking mushrooms can't be taken seriously, then what the fuck do you expect, everything to be a LotR rehash?

Dwarves derive directly from European folklore. Walking shrooms do not originate from japanese as far as I know. Even if so, the game makes no effort to make them as important part of the world as dwarves in western fantasy games are. Bunny people, I hazard a guess, make appearance more due to weeaboo patologic fixation on playboy rather than their animalistic perception of various spirits of nature.

How are rabbit people any more fucked up than midget people who live in caves and have bearded women?

See above. Frankly, I would take Japanese Onii, Kitsune, Tanuki, Tama or any kind of yoosei as depicted in Japanese folklore (no furrfaggotry) over the popamole bullshit they are delivering. I would love to see that in the medieval Japan setting :someone, pretty please:

Bikini platemail is retarded and immersion breaking. A monster or sentient race I've never seen before isn't.

A walking shroom or cactus living in hords just next to capital city and attacking you for no reason whatsoever isn't immersion breaking you say? A sentinent race of all-female rabbits does not destroy your suspension of disbelief?

I didn't rage out half an hour into Baldurs Gate because I thought grimlocs were a stupid monster.

Me neither.

Though I definitely facepalmed when I walked into an inn and saw powerful rare magic items for sale for enough money to make owning an inn rather pointless.

You know that historically jap games are too blame for this kind of nonsense in all RPGs don't you?

mondblut

Arcane
Hey, if it's anime, it IS shit. Even if it has some remotely redeeming feature or two, it's like wading into the sea of diarrhea to scoop a fallen hamburger. Me, I'd pass.

edit: wrote it as "anine", maybe I should have left it that way? :smug:

Damned Registrations

I really don't see where you're coming from with dwarves = ok bunny people = wtf? The modern dwarves just come out of the european pathological obsession with being some sort of caveman supermale with the biggest dickhat ever. Dwarves in baldurs gate have nothing to do with original mythological dwarves, whose entire focus was simply being craftsmen, not brave stout warriors that love drinking and wear awesome beards. Are the hawkmen in Ogre Battle games ridiculous? They don't go into things much, but they struck me as a tribal demihuman sort of people, analogous to orcs or the like, except, you know, original. Yes they're humans with bird wings tacked on. That's just as original as as hulking midgets that love booze.

Unfortunately, it seems we don't have much overlap to work with in regards to examples. While I played Chrono Trigger, I also played Phantasy Star 4, SaGa Frontier, and Ogre Battle, all of which are much less fairy tale oriented. The first crpg I played was MM3, which didn't leave me with much of an impression for PC games having rich stories and detailed backgrounds. Before that I'd played Ultima 3 on the NES. Again, this is a story and gameworld on par with dragon warrior, practically non existent. Diablo 1 was probably the first computer game I played that had a good atmosphere and background story. I'd probably put it on par with Ogre Battle.

When I mentioned that the worlds tend to be more detailed, I refer to a lot of the design that doesn't end up directly in the game. Using Ogre Battle as an example,the setting actually has appropriate history written for it, as far as previous conflicts and historical figures go, much of which is only hinted at by passing reference. Although while steamrolling through the game a lot of characters seem like the boss of the day, digging around through people chatting in various towns gives a lot of background, not just for whoever is the immediate enemy, but other characters that aren't even part of the plot. It lends a great deal of credibility, because when you see a minor detail backed up by a fleshed out, trivial story, you assume there's such a story for every minor detail. The same thing occurs in lots of other japanese games. The most I tend to get out of a western game is a cool fluff description on a nice piece of loot. Diablo was a nice exception to that, with the stories about leoric and other sidequest based fluff.

By contrast, playing through Fallout 2, a lot of the characters seem as though they appeared out of thin air when you started the game. Nobody references events you haven't witnessed yourself that aren't tied to the plot. There's no stories of how such and such town was wiped out by XXX infamous group of raiders 25 years ago and so and so character is slightly related to this because he was there/his sister died/his dad was one of the raiders. Instead you get something completely immediate; characters part of one of the 3-4 organizations you have direct contact with. The gameworld is condensed around your character so you feel like you can interact with anything, but it gives this annoying artificial feeling like you can see frame built around everything at all times, because the world just ends as soon as you can't interact with it.

I didn't want examples of western games btw, I meant like what you did with Chrono Trigger, but with a japanese game more like Nocturne. Your gripe about the characters fucked up behavior at the beginning is legitimate, but I think you need to give it more of a chance. That bit at the beginning is so irrelevant to the rest of the game, I'd completely forgotten it even happened. It certainly doesn't color the rest of the experience, it happens before the actual setting is even introduced. It'd be like saying the story in Assassin's Creed was ruined before you even play as the assassin because of something you did before they hooked you up.

The best japanese game I've seen recently for atmosphere would be Demon's Souls, which is obviously a horrid example to give since it's a PS3 exclusive, so few people have played it or have the option of playing it. That's kind of a problem with any console game past the PSX though. Armored Core 2 is great as well, and sets up a very cool and believable world, but it's not like you can run out and pick it and a PS2 up if you don't have it already. Most stuff older than that was of an era where games got artificially lengthened to discourage people finishing it with a short rental. Ogre Battle and Tactics Ogre has a lot of cool background story and atmosphere build up, but it takes ages to play through unless you want to just cheat or cheese your way through.

mondblut

Arcane

That's some epically serious atmosphere, comrade!

gfs_42832_2_4.jpg

tactics_ogre.jpg

ogrebattle64_screen009.jpg

Damned Registrations

Wrong ogre battle, btw. Though you're apparently offended by everything not being grey judging by the other 2 pictures, so I doubt that matters to you. The silliest thing in any of those pictures is the fluffball in the SaGa Frontier party, which is a temporary form the player got by picking a bunch of fairy skills to try and get it. Other than that, I dunno, how dare they have wizards in bright green robes?

Black Cat

Magister
The best japanese game I've seen recently for atmosphere would be Demon's Souls, which is obviously a horrid example to give since it's a PS3 exclusive, so few people have played it or have the option of playing it.

It is a spiritual successor of the King's Field games, and those are both on Playstation and Playstation II. Also, and though later they did add anime elements while polishing it and remaking it for Playstation II and Wii, the original Baroque, for Playstation and Saturn, was also pretty much inspired by King's Field, though it was a very rough and unpolished game, both by itself and when compared to the remake.

Mrowak said:
You mean in western games? Seriously? Like Planescape Torment comes to my mind. And Fallout. And Arcanum. And The Witcher. And the Mask of Betrayer, And the Longest Journey. And the Lost Express. And Penumbra. And Betrayal at Krondor. And Return to Krondor when we are at it (mediocre gameplay, awesome atmosphere). And BG2. And Dark Sun. And Diablo I. And ...

And The Calling, and Kuon, and the Silent Hill games, and the Forbiden Siren games, and the Deception games, and Hellnight, and Rule of Rose (regardless of this one's gameplay being kind of awful), and Haunting Grounds, and Koudelka (it tries, kind of...), and Nebula, and Nanashi No Gemu, and several DS adventure games, and the Fatal Frame games, and the weirdness known as Eastern Mind, and Saya No Uta, and the already mentioned Demon's Souls, and ...

Those being only those i have played myself, and of those i'm leaving many of those less known in the west outside. So biased lists are biased.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Wrong ogre battle, btw. Though you're apparently offended by everything not being grey judging by the other 2 pictures, so I doubt that matters to you. The silliest thing in any of those pictures is the fluffball in the SaGa Frontier party, which is a temporary form the player got by picking a bunch of fairy skills to try and get it. Other than that, I dunno, how dare they have wizards in bright green robes?

Christ, more and more it's obvious that you people are blind.

1st screenshot: i don't know what the fuck is that marshmallow thing and the rest are pretty much shapeless blobs as well
2nd screenshot: they look like some dolls a little girl would play with
3rd screenshot: they're fucking kids posing as fighters

This is serious stuff?

And of course, the typical weaboo response "U JUST HAET IT CUZ ITZ COLORD". What the fuck? How the hell... I don't... This is the best you can do? :retarded:

Achilles

Arcane
The silliest thing in any of those pictures is the fluffball in the SaGa Frontier party, which is a temporary form the player got by picking a bunch of fairy skills to try and get it. Other than that, I dunno, how dare they have wizards in bright green robes?

I think he's talking about the fact that all the characters look like Lego/Playmobil toys.

CrimHead

Scholar
I think the "all japanese games look the same" mentality is p. comparable to saying "all niggers look the same". It's a subject with which your expertise is limited, and thus can't discern one example from the other. Now, I can pretty much count the number of Japanese games with art styles I like on one hand, but that doesn't mean I'm completely opposed to anime stylings in video games, I'm just picky. The number of western games whose art styles really stand out is probably equally limited.

Also: I'm afraid 1eyedking and Lyric Suite have just jumped the shark by suggesting all Eastern art is bad. Now we're just veering into xenophobic territory.

Please compare this to Betrayal at Krondor, Dark Forces I or Discworld (games I played at about that age) and tell me with a straight face they are equal in terms of setting credibility.

I'm sorry, but Star Wars isn't a credible setting.

Damned Registrations

Considering there's around 50 different characters in the game (All of whom need to be able to have animations for every fighting, gun, spell and sword skill in the game), I'd prefer legomen to army men. The sprites have to double as portraits in the menu when you're forming your parties.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom