Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Crispy™ Jeff Vogel has finally gone off the deep end - reviews Katawa Shoujo

Nikolaj

Educated
After skimming through his blog post, I now find myself wishing I had a pc powerful enough to run GTA V.

m_s0

Arcane
We live in an era of Underrail, AoD, Wasteland 2, Pillars of Eternity, Torment fucking 2 and a dozen (???) of other, smaller projects. Who cares about the decline of Jeff Vogel anymore? Let him be, it's his own leg he shoots.
Not yet. They're coming, some of them are pretty close even, but we're not there yet.

Skimmed through the blog post. He criticizes the entertainment culture that embraces and normalizes portrayals of violence and murder while denies, demonizes and punishes portrayals of erotic intimacy which is one of the most fundamentally humane concepts (approximation of his words) and he seems to be particularly happy that such a game would focus on a minority among the minority -cripples- and still manage to find itself a following. And he seems to be fascinated with the game on a mechanical level as a developer.

I don't see the problem.

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer
Not yet. They're coming, some of them are pretty close even, but we're not there yet.

Are we? We already have a couple of releases (conquistadors, for example), 2/3rds of AoD (which is probably more than anyone could've hoped for), quite a big chunk of Underrail, Wasteland 2 beta...

Besides, it's not like Vogel is the only source of obscure RPGs - how many people here have played Star Wolves 3, for example? Planet Alcatraz? Vangers (which are more like action-adventure, but are awesome nevertheless)? There's a boatload of good stuff out there, so, considering Vogel has disqualified himself as a developer with his paraplegic trifecta of Avadon-Avernum remake-Avadon 2, what's the point of playing his tired shovelware? And, considering large part of the codex hadn't even played his actually good games, what's the point of looking at Vogel past his date of expiration?

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter
Monster Girl Quest has an amazing storyline and game-play to match the most hardcore of games.

Aikanaro

Liturgist
Katawa Shoujo isn't bad - not sure why everyone's upset that Vogel likes it. Everything he wrote in that article is basically true.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Katawa Shoujo is p. awful. I just played to the end because VNs are just pressing next anyway and I wanted to see if it's possible to bang emi's mother.

spoiler: it's not

Not surprised a semi-autistic maker of mediocre games like a mediocre game for semi-autistic people

Cassidy

Arcane
If forced to make a choice between two shit games at gunpoint, I'd rather Gothic 4: ArcaniA than Katawa Shoujo

m_s0

Arcane

Are we? We already have a couple of releases (conquistadors, for example), 2/3rds of AoD (which is probably more than anyone could've hoped for), quite a big chunk of Underrail, Wasteland 2 beta...
Exactly. We have mostly trailers, teasers and promises, a few incomplete pre-release versions and a single released game which came out surprisingly decent. I'm holding off with that judgement until the big projects start arriving and, hopefully, delivering.

I don't really care about Vogel's (new and upcoming) games at this point, but the post was pretty entertaining. Definitely bodes well for Avadon 3 :lol:

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
I actually thought it was a pretty good write up. One of his more interesting blog posts in a long time, anyway (the one he did on Tomb Raider a few weeks ago was kind of clueless).

Never played Katawa Shouj, though, so can't comment on it personally.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom