Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Editorial Jeff Vogel is getting old

Discussion in 'News & Content Feedback' started by VentilatorOfDoom, Dec 19, 2011.

1. VentilatorOfDoom RPG Codex Staff

VentilatorOfDoom
    Tags: Avernum: Escape from the Pit; Spiderweb Software

<p>A condition that's probably going to get worse over the years. In the meantime <a href="http://jeff-vogel.blogspot.com/2011/12/avernum-escape-from-pit-is-out.html" target="_blank">he blogs</a> about <strong>Avernum: Escape from the Pits</strong>.</p>
    <blockquote>
    <p><span>Since 1995, my work has gotten a lot tighter, more controlled, and generally less eccentric. This has been both good and bad. It's also unavoidable. I'm older and more experienced now, and that sort of fresh, unfocused enthusiasm is just not available to me anymore. I still write good games (or, at least, games that sell), but my changing tastes and increasing age have made me unable to do some things and more able to do certain new things.</span><br /><br /><span>For example, if you tried Avadon: The Black Fortress and didn't like it, I'm sorry. That is the sort of game I write now. This will change. Five years from now, I'll do something entirely different. (I really, really want to return to open-ended non-linear games at least once before I retire.) But for now, that's it. If you hate my new games, then there is nothing I can do about that.</span><br /><br /><span>But, if you don't like the new stuff, I suggest trying Avernum. It's old-school, and it's really neat. I hope you like it.</span></p>
    </blockquote>

^ Top  
  2. EG Nullified

EG
    Butthurt detected.

He does not like us, does he?

^ Top  
  3. Haba Harbinger of Decline Patron

Haba
    Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    Don't worry, we don't like him either. So it is all right.

^ Top  
  4. Morkar Left Guest

Morkar Left
    At least it sounds honest. Something I appreciate :salute:

^ Top  
  5. Azrael the cat Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Azrael the cat
    Seconded. And as a big fan of the Geneforge series, it's the first time that his blog comments have indicated that he finally gets where we're coming from ('we're' = the folks who loved Generforge or Avernum series, because we actually preferred Vogel's design style to early Bioware et al, hence were always going to be dissapointed by a 'BG2 with reasonable turn-based combat') - i.e. that we were criticising Avadon compared to his own previous games and ability, rather than criticising it compared to Skyrim/DA2 and the crap that fills the non-indie scene. And, most importantly, that it really was a substantial genre shift away from both the openness of Avernum and the amazing C+C of later Geneforge (and openness, but of a different kind - one player's quest hub might be another's dungeon, and yet another player's stealth/tech-assassination mission, depending on factional allegiences as well as character build).

^ Top  
  6. Serious_Business Best Poster on the Codex

Serious_Business
    I love to hear about his unenthusiasm and how much he's tired and disgusted with something I assume many kids would consider the ideal job

Being an indie developer is a great opportunity to be creative and release 6 sequels to a franchise in a 2 years span

^ Top  
  7. OldSkoolKamikaze Arcane Patron

OldSkoolKamikaze
    Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Well, let's hope for another Geneforge before he retires.

^ Top  
  8. Luzur Prestigious Gentleman Good Sir

Luzur
    he wants to make facebook games, doesnt he?

bastard.

^ Top  
  9. Flatlander Liturgist

Flatlander
    Translation:
    [​IMG]

Also,
    :retarded: Apple fags.

^ Top  
  10. DakaSha Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    I really hate this guy. sorry

^ Top  
  11. thesheeep Arcane Patron

thesheeep
    Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Bullshit. I've played and tabbed around with more than enough games using OpenGL to know that you can (and have to) react to losing the rendering device.
    But then, I'm using windows, maybe things are different on a mac, but I doubt it.

Like any old coder, he is just stuck in his way. That's my guess...

^ Top  
  12. Excidium P. banal

Self-Ejected
    :lol:

^ Top  
  13. Awor Szurkrarz Arcane In My Safe Space

Awor Szurkrarz
    Codex 2012

^ Top  
  14. Flatlander Liturgist

Flatlander
    Could be, a little googling suggests that it should be possible. I mean, it even works with Linux, occasionally...

^ Top  
  15. Mozgoëbstvo Learned

Mozgoëbstvo
    No. Money is the final blow to the artist.
    The ignoble imperative of the stomach is what puts most of those who have a true creative drive in total slavery to necessity in the first place.

And intellectual dishonesty and cognitive dissonance do the rest on the artist's self image.

^ Top  
  16. Mozgoëbstvo Learned

Mozgoëbstvo
    No. Money is the final blow to the artist.
    The ignoble imperative of the stomach is what puts most of those who have a true creative drive in total slavery to necessity in the first place.

And intellectual dishonesty and cognitive dissonance do the rest on the artist's self image.

^ Top  
  17. Davaris Australian Game Developers Developer

Davaris
    They employed what is known as the purple cow strategy. Make something that is like nothing else out there. Turn your weaknesses into a strength.

Copying Minecraft, will not make Vogel a lot of money. Lots of people are copying Minecraft now.

Not half as mad as Zachtronics must be at themselves. Minecraft is a clone of Infiniminer.

http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Infiniminer

^ Top  
  18. EG Nullified

EG
    But MineCraft copied . . . Sadly, Notch spent many months to get as primitive a game as MineCraft ...

Oh the hell with it.

^ Top  
  19. Mozgoëbstvo Learned

Mozgoëbstvo
    Ya talkin' to me?

^ Top  
  20. Wunderpurps Educated

Wunderpurps
    Makes me feel bad for him but I don't see why he cares so much what the codex thinks. Ipad owners who somehow stumble upon the dex will take one look at the color scheme and shit their pants.

^ Top  
  21. Johnny the Mule Educated

Johnny the Mule
    I think he makes the most shittiest, dumbest games around.
    They are ugly. Written by a dumb hack and Christ, the combat could not suck any more. Its a massive fail on all fronts. Its Oblivion in turnbased...

^ Top  
  22. DakaSha Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    He may be a kool kredit wanting newfag (as myself) but i pretty much thought the same thing

^ Top  
  23. Wunderpurps Educated

Wunderpurps
    Kool Kredits++

edit: the kool kredits are for calling someone newfag and/or troll. Extra kool kreds if he had pinned it on some poster from 3 years ago no one gives a fuck about and probably died of drug overdose in a whorehouse.

^ Top  
  24. Overweight Manatee Scholar

Overweight Manatee
    Can't say that I like the change, but Vogel at least seems like one of the most decent game devs I know. If he stops by I'll buy him a beer.

^ Top  
  25. BLOBERT Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

BLOBERT
    BROS LOLLOLOOL GIVE THE MOTHERFUCKER A BREAK HE HAS BEEN MAKING GAMES BEFORE MOST HERE STARTED PLAYING RPGS IE LAST YEAR

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.