Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial Jeff Vogel is getting old

mondblut

Arcane
VentilatorOfDoom said:
For example, if you tried Avadon: The Black Fortress and didn't like it, I'm sorry. That is the sort of game I write now. This will change. Five years from now, I'll do something even worse.

Fixed.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Why is it not out for PC? I was genuinely interested, went to the site, and it's for Macs. What kind of backward shenanigans is this..

Johannes

Arcane
sser said:
Why is it not out for PC? I was genuinely interested, went to the site, and it's for Macs. What kind of backward shenanigans is this..
His games have always come out for Macs first. Which is kinda nice actually, so the Mac people can spot out the bugs before it's available for me.

Flatlander

Liturgist
BLOBERT said:
BROS LOLLOLOOL GIVE THE MOTHERFUCKER A BREAK HE HAS BEEN MAKING GAMES BEFORE MOST HERE STARTED PLAYING RPGS IE LAST YEAR
I remember when the first Exiles came out and his games seemed simplistic and :meh: even then. Nahlakh and other good titles were just recently released and the whole :decline: thing was just starting so they didn't really stand out that much.

DakaSha

Arcane
BLOBERT said:
BROS LOLLOLOOL GIVE THE MOTHERFUCKER A BREAK HE HAS BEEN MAKING GAMES BEFORE MOST HERE STARTED PLAYING RPGS IE LAST YEAR

All im saying is that hes a childish whiny bitch. I cant be assed to try any of his games (although i did play some of shareware versions of the exiles back when they were released and remeber wanting the third one so badly because of its editor)

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BRO NO WHINING HE BASICALLY SAID FUCK YOU I AM GOING TO DO WHAT I WANT

BUT IN THE NICEST WAY POSSIBLE

MOTHERFUCKERS GOTTA MAKE A DOLLAR AND THIS BRO DOES THIS FOR A LIVING I IMAGINE DOING THE SAME SHIT OVER AND OVER MUST GET BORING

THE BROS HERE ARE THE WHINY BITCHES JEFF DESERVES TO TALK A LITTLE SHIT HERE AND THERE CAUSE THE CODEX LOVES TO FUCK WITH HIM

DakaSha

Arcane
Not really referring to this post. Just his general attitude. *shrug*
I understand hes kind of a legend in the indie RPG community but i have just never heard anything i like come out of his mouth.

And yes people here are also whiney bitches including me. maybe thats why we are butthurt. because jeff wont play with us :(

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
LOLLOL NOW YOU ARE TALKING BRO

YOU ARE ON MY BROLIST FOREVER

BUT GIVE POOR JEFF A BREAK HE REALLY IS GETTING OLD

Mozgoëbstvo

Learned
There's another famous guy who shat on his original masterpiece for the bucks, and I don't see his old fans giving him slack.
:M

Yes, I'm talking about George Lucas. And yes, I'm citing him as the proof that old age+money don't exert a really creative spur as some people hope/think/delude themselves into believing.

Enjoy the old stuff of Jeff; don't spit on him if you see him on the streets, maybe even compliment him on his old stuff; don't fuck around on his blog.

If you liked him, those niceties, he does deserve. But nothing more. :salute:

nihil

Augur
Project: Eternity
Mozgoëbstvo said:
There's another famous guy who shat on his original masterpiece for the bucks, and I don't see his old fans giving him slack.

Yes, I'm talking about George Lucas.

George Lucas didn't have full creative control over the first three Star Wars movies (but he did for the prequels). Also, the best Star Wars movie (The Empire Strikes Back) was neither directed, nor written by George Lucas. My point is, I don't think Lucas shat on it for the money, I think he just didn't know how not to.

Off topic, but it had to be said.

Mozgoëbstvo

Learned
Eh, I know about the Han-Solo-Frog and other thingies, don't worry. I've also seen the Plinkett reviews quite a few times.

What I mean is, the original creativa spark WAS his; and he did shit on it. He was the one who put the mystics in the Force (he wanted GODDAMN TOSHIRO MIFUNE for Obi Wan) and farted Midichlorians out, for example.

Well, end of discussion, before derp goes beyond guard level. :lol:

EG

Nullified
I wonder if Plinkett is a Codexian . . . maybe he could review Jeff Vogel's blog for us.

Repressed Homosexual
nihil said:
Mozgoëbstvo said:

Yes, I'm talking about George Lucas.

George Lucas didn't have full creative control over the first three Star Wars movies (but he did for the prequels). Also, the best Star Wars movie (The Empire Strikes Back) was neither directed, nor written by George Lucas. My point is, I don't think Lucas shat on it for the money, I think he just didn't know how not to.

Off topic, but it had to be said.

Err, no, you're overstating it. He was quite busy and asked for the assistance of other people when it came to writing and other tasks, but he definitely supervised all the projects and was the creative drive over the whole original trilogy and maintained pretty much full control over it.

Kingston

Arcane
I lack the wit to put something hilarious here
However, writing them is difficult... a lot of work and a lot of energy...

...my changing tastes...

For example, if you tried Avadon: The Black Fortress and didn't like it, I'm sorry. That is the sort of game I write now. This will change. Five years from now, I'll do something entirely different. (I really, really want to return to open-ended non-linear games at least once before I retire.) But for now, that's it. If you hate my new games, then there is nothing I can do about that.

Do you wonder why Vogel's sales don't break five digits? Because Vogel makes games for himself, not for his customers. He could be making games that people want to play, but he doesn't feel like it. He will make the games he feels like making. If it's too difficult or requires "a lot of work," he won't do it. All in all, this is some pretty selfish text.

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
Kingston said:
Do you wonder why Vogel's sales don't break five digits? Because Vogel makes games for himself, not for his customers. He could be making games that people want to play, but he doesn't feel like it. He will make the games he feels like making. If it's too difficult or requires "a lot of work," he won't do it. All in all, this is some pretty selfish text.

He is taking business advice now. If he is making games a certain way now, its because he has been told they will sell more. Its the same reason he decided to drop his prices.

Wunderpurps

Educated
Kingston said:
However, writing them is difficult... a lot of work and a lot of energy...

...my changing tastes...

For example, if you tried Avadon: The Black Fortress and didn't like it, I'm sorry. That is the sort of game I write now. This will change. Five years from now, I'll do something entirely different. (I really, really want to return to open-ended non-linear games at least once before I retire.) But for now, that's it. If you hate my new games, then there is nothing I can do about that.

What he's really saying is "if it takes more than 8 months or won't work on an ipad I'm not making it." with a helping of "I'm old and tired so don't expect me to deviate from my set formulas too much before I die".

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom