Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Jerusalem RPG

Alokin

Novice
For some time now I am developing (well, nothing to show still) a simple, 2D, top-down
game that I would define as a Religios RPG, set in Jerusalems old city in modern time
where competing factions would be competing religions: muslims, jews and christians.

If there is a place on internet for something like this its Codex.

What is it all about: in the old city on the mount that dominates it there is a rock
known as a foundation stone, first stone created when god created the earth and from
its dust Adam was molded, this was Eden. Abraham or Ibrahim (for muslims) binded Isaac
forefather of Jews (or in muslim interpretation his first born son Ishmael father of
Arabs) here. And this same stone, Shetiyya for Jews, was foundation for magnificent
Solomons Temple, to house the name of God, place where their God will be present whit
them, place for sacrifice and the only Jewish temple.

With a temple a Temple-state was created with a Gods law Torah as a constitution.
The Temple was destroyed, rebuilt and destroyed again and Jews scatered all around
the world awaiting for moshiach from the line of David who will liberate or bring
the jews back from exile, reestablish jewish theocracy and today, most importantly,
rebuild the temple.

In the meantime many claimed the title of messiah including Jesus Christ,
who was according to christians incarnation of God himself. Christ abrogated the law,
prophesied destruction of temple and died rejected by Jews, making of himself and of
his folowers a new temple and a new Israel and precondition for a secular state.

In 7th century arabia a prophet named Muhammed appeared. According to Islamic teachings
all prophets before him were muslims Adem, Nuh (Noah), Ibrahim, Musa (Moses), Daud
(King David who estabished the first islamic state), Suleiman... but
religion and its scripts were corupted, God sent Isa (who was just a prophet) but his
folowers corrupted his message again and created christianity. Muhamed was to set it all
to its origins. During his night jorney, al-miraj, from Mecca to Jerusalem, in a blink of an
eye on a winged horse called al-Buraq, God gathered earlier prophets around foundation stone,
al-sakhra, on the ruins of Suleimans mosque, where Muhamed led them in prayer.
After liberating Jerusalem from christians, muslims rebuilt the temple by building Al-aqsa
and Qubbat al-Sakhra which is oldest preserved muslim shrine.

Factions:

Jew

After wars in 1948 and 1967 Israel was created for the fist time after more than 2 milennia,
which started a process of redemption for jews. But zionists who established it where
secular atheists and failed to reestablish the country on Gods laws. That is where you come in
to play. You play as a radical religous/zionist, messianist with the ultimate goal being removing
obstacles from Har ha-Bayit in order to create preconditions for rebuilding the Temple where
it once stood and starting messianic era where jewish messiah will rule the world.

Muslim

After almost 14 centuries, muslims being longest lasting civilization in Jerusalem, are driven out
by jews and christians, islamic Jerusalem as a third holiest place in Islam is endangered.
You play as a son of palestinian refugees, member of Hamas, veteran of war in Bosnia and Palestine
engaged in Jihad against infidels in order to protect and preserve Haram al-Sharif with its mosques and shrines.

Christian zionist

Movement can be traced from english Puritans in times of Oliver Cromwell to Evangelicals in
conteporary USA, numbering between 50 and 70 million adults making largest religous and political block
in the country. According to book of Revelation or the Apocalypse Jews will be brought back to Jerusalem,
rebuild the temple and trigger the second coming of Christ who will come and fight false jewish messiah
and establish millenial kingdom. Hastening the end of the world may be sin for majority of christians
but is yours most sacred religious duty.

In game whole perception of Jerusalem will be different according to your religion, history will be
differently interpreted, locations have different simbolic meaning, streets have different names.
Wailling wall is al-Buraq wall, Temple Mount is Haram al Sharif or Har ha Bayit, Davids tomb was both
a chapel, a mosque and a synagogue each in its own time etc...

I will present it in future in greater details for now just wanted to see would anyone be interested in
something like this (I am going to finish it anyway) just curious.

If this is wrong subforum I am sorry but let me know what you think.

Ysaye

Arbiter
Is it only Jerusalem? Or the surrounding regions/countries as well?

Do we meet Zoroastrians in it? One of my friends from Iran was telling me about all these older religions that still exist there in the Middle East, albeit somewhat covertly. Also you say modern day setting? - so will there be environmentalists and equality persons and stuff like that spruiking their religions and participating in terror that need removing? And presumbly also not everyone is a zealot? Are some people are just there to further their own interests under a banner that will help them get where they want to get? Will there also be all diplomatic interest groups between the religions?

More importantly - will the gameplay be like Realms of Arkania? Or more Jagged Alliance?

getter77

Augur
Sounds somewhat vaguely in the spirit of XZR, or perhaps the 99%-chance-of-implosion-after-the-fact-but-just-maybe Antinomy.

Alokin

Novice
Is it only Jerusalem? Or the surrounding regions/countries as well?

Do we meet Zoroastrians in it? One of my friends from Iran was telling me about all these older religions that still exist there in the Middle East, albeit somewhat covertly. Also you say modern day setting? - so will there be environmentalists and equality persons and stuff like that spruiking their religions and participating in terror that need removing? And presumbly also not everyone is a zealot? Are some people are just there to further their own interests under a banner that will help them get where they want to get? Will there also be all diplomatic interest groups between the religions?

More importantly - will the gameplay be like Realms of Arkania? Or more Jagged Alliance?

Old city Jerusalem only and no zorostrians.

You will be playing as a religous fundamentalist so you will be seeingmostly zealots who strongly believe
that the and days are coming and environmental issues are not their concern.
Equality persons are rare there as much as zorostrians.
It will be a simple 2D top-down game so not like any of those games you mentioned.

There will be a lot of text in game about history of all three religions and of Jerusalem
from the point of view of the one you play with.
Visit locations like Holy Sepulchre with the tomb of Jesus and Golghota, al-Aqsa mosque
where Muhammed ascended to heaven and where Abraham binded Isaac.
Walk on Jesus foothsteps down Via Dolorosa.
All historic places, churches, synagogues, mosques, madrasas built by people from
King David to Suleiman Magnificent will be there with detailed history.
And all that playing as a religous fundamentalist.

Sounds somewhat vaguely in the spirit of XZR, or perhaps the 99%-chance-of-implosion-after-the-fact-but-just-maybe Antinomy.

Never heard of those games but XZR looks interesting

thanks for replys

Alokin

Novice

Just some concept art to keep thread alive. I will post more later and present different locations in game from time to time

Dome of the Rock:
Islamic represantation of paradise built on original location of Garden of Eden acording to jewish tradition.
Currently ocupied by Dome of the Rock and the place of future Third Temple in jewish and christian eschatology...

al Aqsa

Literate
Es-selamu 'alejkum brothers and sisters!

Earlier I've announced my religious RPG game but there is a change of plan I started working on a game I would describe as Islamic Fallout it will be set in and around al Aqsa mosque in Jerusalem I am making it in Godot with assets i could find for free or that could be bought... Game I am making will be first in series with the goal of making my religious RPG I've described in the first post!

here is what I made (I just started working on it so most of will change):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SlAVgfHuRU

please tell me what you think... will anyone be interested in a game like this!

I've lost my original account so I will continue with this one...

Cunt Dickula!?

Looks good. I'm definitely interested. If it has combat i'm sure a lot of codex members would be interested (wink wink).

But please change the font. The arabic inspired style is cool but it gives me a headache.

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In

I would be, but I'm a weirdo. This would be a very niche product. It looks great though.

If you actually want to make any money off of it, you might try making an educational version of it that you could sell to schools. You'd have to drop the combat of course. You might target Muslim countries far away where nobody ever actually gets to visit Jerusalem. I don't really know what I'm talking about but I'm just throwing out a suggestion.

al Aqsa

Literate
Looks good. I'm definitely interested. If it has combat i'm sure a lot of codex members would be interested (wink wink).

But please change the font. The arabic inspired style is cool but it gives me a headache.

Thank you... I like the font it fits in I will probably just make it bigger!

I would be, but I'm a weirdo. This would be a very niche product. It looks great though.

If you actually want to make any money off of it, you might try making an educational version of it that you could sell to schools. You'd have to drop the combat of course. You might target Muslim countries far away where nobody ever actually gets to visit Jerusalem. I don't really know what I'm talking about but I'm just throwing out a suggestion.

I am thinking maybe making a point and click adventure first to get some money... thanks for your interest

d1nolore

Savant
I like the graphics, looks pretty good, you’ve done a good job there. Setting is interesting. If the game is fun and interesting people will play for sure.

Cunt Dickula!?

Don't forget to blame jews in writing. This is a make or break for me.

Gahbreeil

Learned
I thought you meant a crusader RPG, sorry, not interested is my opinion. I would ask what is the merit or the reason to play your game if you want to talk about it.

Tavernking

Don't believe his lies
Developer
Could be a great RPG to be honest, what a great idea. How do you plan to avoid personal bias in the christian/muslim/jew factions? Are you nonreligious?

Higher Animal

Arcane
Looks great, keep going. Interested in a fundamentalist perspective, interested in themes of literality, ignorance, realism, and surprises about what’s true and possible. Role playing is possible here, but definitely support adventure first mindset. Would like to see Zoroastrianism and paganism and native cults touched upon, unbelievers, outsiders, lepers.

You already have a great base to get started from, I would roccomend going heavy into story and themes and let gameplay come from that. Lots to work with.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom