Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Jettatura is a Wizardry-inspired dungeon crawler a decade in the making

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Jettatura; Kyoto Cybernetics

For the past decade, Codexer megidolaon has been working on a dungeon crawling RPG in his spare time. What began as a hobby project gradually became more serious and in 2017 it was titled Jettatura, which is the Italian word for the evil eye. Now the game is finally nearing completion and so megidolaeon has decided to launch its Steam page, alongside a two minute gameplay trailer. By the looks of it, Jettatura is primarily inspired by Wizardry and in particular its Japanese installments. Notably, it has no automap feature. As befits such a hardcore title, the trailer ends with a total party kill.

Grab a trusty No. 2 pencil, a scroll of graph paper, and a sword! As an adventurer, it seems like an immeasurable epoch has passed since any quest of considerable hardship has intertwined your fate, but recently a crisis has befallen the land which beckons your steel! Descend into the labyrinthine depths below the redoubt of Ylondur to retrieve the Scepter of Basmu, slay the treacherous necromancer Arlemal and his band of monstrous henchmen who pilfered it from the Royal Museum, and return as exalted champions to claim your spoils of coin, titles of nobility and acreage, and glory!

Form a party comprised of one to six adventurers to pursue your dauntless quest. But tread not without due caution, for within the dusty crypts, winding mazes, crumbling dungeons, and wicked fiend-temples of the sunless underfoot, there await deadly traps and illusions to confound and enmesh any interlopers -- at least, those who have not already been slain by the many ravenous beasts and cruel goblin-kin who skulk in the shadows!

Available for Linux and Windows.

Features
  • Round-based combat
  • 7 playable races, 11 playable professions, and 3 schools of magic
  • Traditional mechanics - such as Vancian magic and Armor Class going downward from 10
  • Six sprawling dungeon floors - interconnected and winding, full of confounding illusions, dangerous traps, and deadly creatures
  • Over 200 types of items
  • Over 100 types of enemies
  • Lush, colorful, hand-drawn monster and environment art by Juan Miguel López Barea
  • Absolutely no hand-holding - draw your own damn maps!
  • Respects your time - prioritizes gameplay and dungeon exploration; no excessively-meandering "storytelling" here!

According to megidolaon, Jettatura will be out later this year, probably around October.

Mortmal

Arcane
No automap , very bad idea, it's a niche unpopular genre already, its making it even worse. Time changes no one going to waste time on mapping , except a few grognards who will torrent it anyway.

Late Bloomer

Scholar
I quite like the monster design. Nice amount of professions too. About no automapping, I think with just 6 floors the graph paper mapping sounds kind of fun.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
No automap , very bad idea, it's a niche unpopular genre already, its making it even worse. Time changes no one going to waste time on mapping , except a few grognards who will torrent it anyway.

The only ones who torrent it are those who need an automap, then get scared away after floor 1 and never play again, so no big loss. Grognards usually have money to buy their own stuff

mondblut

Arcane
Nice Wizardry V on SNES vibes.

I can live without having to memorize whether fireball is ASSFUK, or it's SUKCOK. Thankfully, we're past the times when only 300 bytes in total could be allocated to store the spell names :roll:

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture

The only ones who torrent it are those who need an automap, then get scared away after floor 1 and never play again, so no big loss. Grognards usually have money to buy their own stuff

Nah, the percentage of the people who bother to get out graph paper and a pencil to map a game is tiny. You don't even need automap per se, but in order to have a shot at success a modern drpg needs in-game mapping.
The only blobbers that come close to selling a million copies are Etrian Odyssey in the East and Legend of Grimrock in the West. Both feature automapping, although one with the very nice option of ingame manual mapping instead.
I wish western blobbers would finally copy that idea, it can't be too hard to build a rudimentary version of grid cartographer into your game's inventory screen.

Mortmal

Arcane
Sure looks nice but there's grimoire at 8 euros now too, doubt it has nearly as many features and grimoire wasnt even that great for everyone (i know biggest taboo on the dex). Whats the pricing range ? 4 euros ? One decade of work for 10 brofists and an hundred copies sold for a few euros, i salute such dedication , without irony.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Sure looks nice but there's grimoire at 8 euros now too, doubt it has nearly as many features and grimoire wasnt even that great for everyone (i know biggest taboo on the dex). Whats the pricing range ? 4 euros ? One decade of work for 10 brofists and an hundred copies sold for a few euros, i salute such dedication , without irony.

Grimoire and this are for two different niches, this is early Wizardry, Grimoire was Wizardry 7. A good crawler like this I pay easily 30 to 40 Euro for.

Mortmal

Arcane

Grimoire and this are for two different niches, this is early Wizardry, Grimoire was Wizardry 7. A good crawler like this I pay easily 30 to 40 Euro for.

Sure one is wiz 7 the other the most primitive and ancient form of blobbers, the niche amongst the niche in the most unliked subgenre of an hobby, CRPG, for misfits and nerds. Look on trailer there's even the dreaded stat loss on leveling up...At this point it's an aquatic prehistoric horror lurking in some dark pool deep underground in a forgotten cave system.

PompiPompi

Man with forever hair
Patron
Developer
RPG Wokedex
Grimoire is a piece of shit boring game.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron

No, it's a masterpiece

Mortmal

Arcane

No, it's a masterpiece
Mixed on steam, i know that doesnt mean much but still. Codex review is not ecstatic about it .

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom