Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

People News Josh Sawyer plans to develop a historical RPG after his current project

Discussion in 'News & Content Feedback' started by Infinitron, Apr 20, 2016.

1. Ellef Deplorable

Ellef
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
    People thinking Sawyer can make anything decent just because he's a history buff? You're not going to get Darklands II, you're going to get Pillars of Drudgery with less colours.

• Brofist Brofist x 7
    ^ Top  
  2. toro Arcane

toro
    I wish they poke the bear but they don't have balls for that.

Also Sawyer is a filthy SJW with German ancestry therefore he will make a game in the Yurop.

^ Top  
  3. Fry Arcane

Fry
    Is he? Depends on your particular trigger level, I guess. I find it hard to get worked up about black people in a fantasy-world version of southern Europe myself.

I don't know of any other medieval history nerds who happen to be highly-placed designers at a dev studio with actual resources, so I'll call him qualified.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  4. Excidium II Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    If not Sawyer then who else?

Besides I don't think another game would resemble PoE mechanically because it wouldn't have the same design restrictions.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  5. Kron Arcane

Kron
    Actual history involves a ton of politically incorrect/racist/nationalist/egotistical and morally ambiguous stuff - and that's part of what makes it interesting! Seriously doubt Obsidian can pull off a historical game (regardless of setting) that tastefully handles these themes tbh.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  6. Fry Arcane

Fry
    Tyranny is supposed to be addressing those very themes, isn't it? I guess we'll find out.

^ Top  
  7. Alex Arcane

Alex
    Don't forget it needs to be balanced for atheist characters as well...

^ Top  
  8. Kron Arcane

Kron
    Pfft, Tyranny is sure to be run-of-the-mill fantasy; rebranded as EVIL HAS TRIUMPHED, but it doesn't even look the part, so that's not a good start...

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  9. Roguey Codex Staff Sawyerite

Roguey
    So are you going to pretend that the Bible doesn't have fantastic creatures (giants, angels, the behemoth and the leviathan) or magic (countless miracles, stuff like Samson's hair)

^ Top  
  10. POOPERSCOOPER Prophet

POOPERSCOOPER
    Most boring designer makes the most boring game.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  11. Country_Gravy Arcane Patron

Country_Gravy
    Wasteland 2
    I hope he does the game set in the 90's. I want my party of adventurers to be able to keep 2Pac alive and get the "film Clinton getting a hummer in the Oval Office" quest.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. You could portray the steady destruction of the archaeological record by American B52s and ISIS.

^ Top  
  13. LennyFromMotorbread Learned

LennyFromMotorbread
    That honestly sounds really cool. Good for Sawyer. He reminds me of David Byrne, but without the whitebread soul.

^ Top  
  14. FUDU Arcane

FUDU
    No worries, Josh will die of hipster aids long before this "game" has a chance to come out.

Either that, or he will be ran over on his eco friendly bicycle, by some fat bastard in an H2.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  15. RK47 collides like two planets pulled by gravity Patron

RK47
    Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
    Third Reich: The Balance of Power

^ Top  
  16. CRD Savant Patron

CRD
    Divinity: Original Sin 2
    ¿Can we please please please, pretty please with a cherry on top, stop with the swords, magic and "historic" old events and do something new and different?

I'm starting to be really fed up of that setting, it's like nothing else outside from swords and magic or apocalyptic settings can be done on crpgs unless some kind of miracle every 8 years happens.

Maybe another vampire?
    Jagged alliance or invisible inc?
    A setting like Mass effect but inside a good crpg?
    Superheroes?
    Sports?
    Hell, even a WW2 setting would do it, just stop with the swords or magic for a bit.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2016
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Haba Harbinger of Decline Patron

Haba
    Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    Yeah, it is really odd because all those games that don't go for those worn out clichés sell so damn well. It is like publishers hate money or something?

^ Top  
  18. Excidium II Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    What's the point of having wild different setting if game plays exact same way.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Prime Junta Self-Ejected Patron Vatnik

Self-Ejected
    The main appeal of a historical-fantasy game for me is that the lore is already there. You don't need the typical infodumps, and you can reference complicated stuff without having to lay it all out in excruciating detail. Mix that up with tight gameplay, a good story, and don't get too anal about realism and it could turn out very good indeed.

(Plus, I also dig attribute-less, classless systems. This could get gud.)

^ Top  
  20. Rahdulan Arcane Patron

Rahdulan
    [​IMG]

I guess PoE really did well enough to give Sawyer some hopes for future. If it ends up turn-based it will mean Urquhart really had gone completely 180.

^ Top  
  21. commie The Last Marxist Patron

commie
    Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
    I never tire of Josh Sawyer threads......how it went from "Josh Sawyer is a GOD! Man I wish Josh Sawyer was given free reign to make a game! He would get away with it too if it weren't for that meddling decline we are living through!" turn into: "Josh Sawyer is bsb, hipster faggot hack!Wish he'd stop with RPG's already!".

I can file it with the others: "Brian Fargo is a GOD!If only inXile could go independent and not have to make Choplifter or Hunted!Wasteland 2 and Torment will show the world!!!!" to "Fargo is a ghoul, snake oil merchant and inXile make shit bsb effort at a RPG!" and "Sven is a GOD! Can't wait to see him really freed from the shackles with Divinity!Best RPG evah coming up!" to "Sven is bsb faggot!Larian are shit and Divity is a repetitive joke with shit writing!"

Now waiting for the MCA 180 at the codex: "MCA is a GOD!Can't wait for MCA to show the world what he can do!" turn into: ???????.....

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. J_C One Bit Studio Patron Developer Sad Loser

J_C
    Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    I thought that already happened with Alpha Protocol, although not to an extent as is with Josh.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. J_C One Bit Studio Patron Developer Sad Loser

J_C
    Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    That you can have different type of stories in a different world than the cliched fantasy mediaval?

^ Top  
  24. Kz3r0 Arcane Sad Loser

Kz3r0
    :australia:

^ Top  
  25. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Good morning folks!

I'm surprised Roguey didn't post the story about Sawyer demolishing popular SJW beliefs about medieval witchcraft.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.