Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

People News Josh Sawyer plans to develop a historical RPG after his current project

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: J.E. Sawyer; Obsidian Entertainment

It seems that Josh Sawyer feels that he can speak more openly in his new role as Design Director of Obsidian. In the latest reply on his ever-popular Tumblr Q&A site, he has rather remarkably revealed his intention to develop a Darklands-like historical RPG as his next project (after the current one, which is probably Pillars of Eternity 2). I quote:

Is there anything stopping you from doing historical RPG? Do you consider PoE a historical RPG cause it functions more like a historical fiction than a typical fantasy story?

I need to devote my attention to the project I’m currently directing, but it is my intention that the next project I direct (after this one) will be a historical RPG. It’s something I’ve been talking to Feargus every once in a while for the past couple of years and he’s been supportive.

I don’t consider PoE to be a historical RPG in any way. When I say “historical RPG” I mean something set in Earth’s history – inclusive with fantastic variations, like Darklands and Ars Magica.​

Darklands is one of Josh's favorite RPGs, and the prospect of developing a similar game is something he's been talking about for a long time. Knowing Josh, I don't think he would announce something like this at such an early stage unless it was likely to be a sure thing. The man's definitely earned some privileges.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
cant wait for balanced miracles

do you pray to saint emydius for +3% electrical resistance or saint michael for +1% critical hit chance?

Eirikur

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
It'd better be set in the Holy Roman Empire! :argh:
It'd better aim for historical accuracy! :argh:
It'd better have realistic gender roles and races (one)! :argh:

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Pillars of Eternity II will sell well. It has no real competitors and the barrier to entry has become too high.

Last edited:

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
I'd very much like to see his take on the various Arthurian legends, either post-Roman or straight up-dark ages Yurop. That would be fucking boss.

Self-Ejected

HobGoblin42

Self-Ejected
Patron
Developer
Codex 2013 Codex USB, 2014
It'd better have realistic gender roles and races (one)! :argh:

You mean, like in Darklands?

2214350-564659_45731_front_1_.jpg

:smug:

Paul_cz

Arcane
Wow so there will be three historical singleplayer RPGs ever made, cool.

Thonius

Arcane
Good news! I think Its time for another crusader RPG. Or something with Hunnic Empire. No vikings or England please.
Also as I recall there were talks about time travel RPG? Right? Why don't mix it up? ---> Kill some Saracen in X century to stop refugee flood in XXI

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Good news! I think Its time for another crusader RPG. Or something with Hunnic Empire. No vikings or England please.
Also as I recall there were talks about time travel RPG? Right? Why don't mix it up? ---> Kill some Saracen in X century to stop refugee flood in XXI

You're thinking about inXile's Meantime trademark. Different company, different thing.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Historical RPG by veteran RPG designer, history nerd and actual history student* ? I'll take it.

:takemymoney:

*though he never finished his degree did he?

GrainWetski

Arcane

Played lots of historically accurate RPGs with vikings or set in England, have you?

Thonius

Arcane
Truth to be told I never played historically accurate RPG. Its just England was cool only when it had colonies and Vikings are overused in media.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Josh could make the Darklands sequel Arnold Hendrick never got around to making: http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=8246

RPG Codex: You probably had a lot of plans and ideas for a possible sequel to Darklands that had to be left unrealized, or at least a lot of ideas that did not make it into the game due to time and resource constraints. What were some of the things that had to be cut or that you planned for a sequel?

A true sandbox game would have more quests and activities than the characters could perform in any normal lifetime! I had originally hoped to have many quest storylines, not just one apocalyptic one. However, that was impractical given the growing time and cost. If the game had become an instant smash hit, then we could have done sequels with more storylines.

There is a lot more you can do with German history in that period. You can also add in things about the Hussites in Bohemia, the power of the Hanseatic League, the fall of the Teutonic Order, and rising Polish kingdom under the great Jagiellon dynasty. Adventures involving the struggle between the various papal factions could have been very interesting: the catholic church had three competing popes in the early 1400s.

Meanwhile, starting the late ‘90s, Jonathan Sumption has been slowing putting out an absolutely incredible multi-volume historyof the Hundred Years War. It is one of those seminal works that will be the defining history of the period for decades to come, much like S.E.Morison’s history of US Naval Operations in WWII or Oman’s history of the Peninsular wars. Armed with Sumption’s work, some great RPGs set in the Hundred Years War period are now possible.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom