Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Josh Sawyer reflects on his failures with Pillars of Eternity

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Josh Soyer reflects on selling his soul and becoming a soy cuck, a mere shadow of the competent game designer he was.
I was with you until the last part of this sentence; Sawyer was at best a competent manager, and Pediment Pentiment is the ultimate expression of his game design.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Josh Soyer reflects on selling his soul and becoming a soy cuck, a mere shadow of the competent game designer he was.
I was with you until the last part of this sentence; Sawyer was at best a competent manager, and Pediment Pentiment is the ultimate expression of his game design.
For me it's the Icewind Dale games and Neverwinter Nights.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I've pretty much forgotten about POE, despite being a retard myself at the time and gold-backing it. How naive I was in my younger years.

But one thing I always remember from the half-day I spent playing POE was - the fucking walls of text every time you clicked on something. Sawyer should have been fired just for that.

And don't even think about making comparisons to PST because it isn't even apples and oranges. It would be like comparing dogshit to gold.

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I remember the choke-point combat with no xp or worthwile loot rewards. I remember loading screens and the lack of proper crime system.

I think that is it.

I remember that every time you left your game you got "greeted" by a very loud, metallic hammer-like WHAM! sound that never got fixed.

0sacred

poop retainer
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Sawyer thinks IE grognards got in the way of him making a proper Sawyer RPG. If this is true, that means the one and only reason why we didn't get a proper throwback to IE games is Sawyer.

Think about that. Think about what you'd think about!

Well, it's not like PoE's setting isn't anything different from what you see in FR. Also, the rules are like an unnecessarily complicated version of D&D.

0sacred

poop retainer
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
we didn't get a proper throwback to IE games
No flame but how would that look like? D&D rules instead of Sawyers weird creation? A Forgotten Realms setting?

what Cat Headed Eagle said. Sawyer set out specifically to e.g. "improve" on D&D's ability scores (i.e. he did not want to do whatever D&D did). Apparently, the powers that be at Obsidian wanted something traditional, something intuitive to IE players, and that's what we could have got. Don't need a license for that.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
we didn't get a proper throwback to IE games
No flame but how would that look like? D&D rules instead of Sawyers weird creation? A Forgotten Realms setting?

what Cat Headed Eagle said. Sawyer set out specifically to e.g. "improve" on D&D's ability scores (i.e. he did not want to do whatever D&D did). Apparently, the powers that be at Obsidian wanted something traditional, something intuitive to IE players, and that's what we could have got. Don't need a license for that.

In all honest though that's the manager's fault. They supposed to rein in and direct/focus autistic spastics like the brainiac Sawyers who don't know how to limit their own autism, and...the other (more traditional) kind like Amber Scott. By sidelining them, and letting them make the tea.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom