Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Eternity Josh Sawyer reflects on his failure with Pillars of Eternity

Discussion in 'Obsidian Entertainment' started by Roguey, Nov 3, 2019.

1. Meredoth Magister

Meredoth
    Baldur's Gate 2 and ToB.

You can cast stop time, wish, wail of the banshee, finger of death, animate dead, polymorth, cloudkill, charm person, dominate person, shapechange(...) with a single character. The problem is that Pillars has only lackluster spells. You can't compare cloudkill with "malignant cloud" or wathever the spell is called.

In fact, why anyone would pick alteration or conjuration as a wizard on pillars 2?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Old Old x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. the mole Learned Shitposter

the mole
    turns out poe isn't an exact 1/1 copy of baldurs gate 2

• incline incline x 2
    • decline decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. the mole Learned Shitposter

the mole
    skyrim lets your wizard use all the spells, you could play that

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Participation Award Participation Award x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. the mole Learned Shitposter

the mole
    I'm not sure exactly what you're referring to when you mean alteration or conjuration

alteration would presumably be self buffs, which are very powerful, you get huge armor and defense bonuses can conjure weapons and boost your accuracy, and personally I don't use a wizard so I don't even know what conjuration spells they have in poe 2, I use a druid in poe2

all of the classes have very specific roles for certain situations

we could go really indepth and explain what each class does best and what they are used for but

1. I think you're smart enough to realize what the roles are
    and 2. I don't really feel like going through all the effort

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. the mole Learned Shitposter

the mole
    My goal is to spam teheku ice spells so fort isn't my main priority, that build would have been great on my barb rogue playthrough though but dual wield was easy enough

^ Top  
  6. the mole Learned Shitposter

the mole
    I guess in poe2 you can dual class wizard chanter, so you get most of the aoe spells, and summons

but I guess you can't have every single spell in the game on one character

but if you aren't lazy you could raise arcana skill and use scrolls instead to use the spells you can't get through level up

I mean you'd have to play the game and not complain though

also weapons and armor have spells enchanted on them usually per rest, but those are even more spells you have to use

Last edited: May 11, 2021
    ^ Top  
  7. Strange Fellow Peculiar Patron Sad Loser

Strange Fellow
    Take it easy, Josh.

• Balanced Balanced x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. the mole Learned Shitposter

the mole
    crybabies never learn

the neuroplasticity is gone

it's gone forever

^ Top  
  9. the mole Learned Shitposter

the mole
    I think technically cipher chanter with arcana skill allows you to use every spell in the game

I don't think cipher or chanter spells are on scrolls, so if you weren't lazy and actually played the game you could have this wizard character with every spell if you want, but if you never played the game you would never experience that

^ Top  
  10. Meredoth Magister

Meredoth
    Which is a very "mmoesque" to the idea of "classes"... On original D&D, a Fighter can be a ranged DPS(bow/crossbow), a "tank"(shield + high con), a close quarters DPS(two handed weapon). Fighter focus on using weapons which can be used for a lot of different "roles" and that is it. Clerics? Clerics are the representatives of his deity. They aren't just "healers", a cleric can worship a death God or a destructive God like Talos.

Except that in case of PoE2 is worse. If the game give me the option to play as a illusionist or conjurer, I wanna to be able to play as one.

Point to Obsidian, they din't included necromancers in his game. They would ruin it more than they ruined on nwn2 which requires spell fixes mod to be good.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. the mole Learned Shitposter

the mole
    you do have those options you just choose to complain about them here and not play the game

^ Top  
  12. AwesomeButton Personally falsified the US election results Patron

AwesomeButton
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Yeah, it's full of people who approach PoE/Deadfire with some expectations formed by the IE games, and when they encounter qualitatively different, and much more complex and flexible systems, they never have the disposition to get into them and learn how to play by them. Instead they just drop the game and write uninformed comments like this one.

Is this a mistake on Josh's part, that his design diverged too much from what he was advertising he is "spiritually succeeding"? I think that's his core mistake. The systems themselves are quite good for something developed mostly by one guy who was also managing the whole gamedev project.

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    ^ Top  
  13. Haplo Cipher Patron

Haplo
    Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Cipher. Also Chanter.
    A chanter can spam a horde of skeletal minions. Eventually passively. Every 3 seconds in case of Troubadour.
    Cipher will leech stats and Frighten enemies. Wizard can leech health and Terrify enemies. High level Wizard can also temporarily banish enemies who would dare touch him while afflicting them with a DOT.
    Not really there... but a chanter will have other mighty summons, including adult dragons and animated weapons.
    Uh, got me there. Then again, DnD games don't really have reason to be very proud of that aspect either?
    On Rogue and ranger; eventually also (more expensive) on barbarian, monk and fighter.
    Umm, wizard actually. I mean, other classes can summon certain weapons also, but only wizard has access to
    -> a bow that fires bouncing arrows that terrify enemies,
    -> a lance that does aoe damage (and carries on-hit effects of special abilities),
    -> balls of elemental energy that do aoe damage when thrown,
    -> a staff that drains life on hit;
    -> a life leeching touch that targets Willpower instead of Deflection (normally one off, but...)
    What's interesting, is that if said wizard summons a double (Essential Pahntom, Substantial Phantom), he will have the original's equipment - including special weapons and their effects. Draining Touch won't dissapear on discharge for him...
    Umm, a druid can polymorph himself?
    Simple. Cipher.

^ Top  
  14. Haplo Cipher Patron

Haplo
    Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    You're doing well convincing me you've never actually played the game.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  15. Mr. Magniloquent Arcane Patron

Mr. Magniloquent
    Haplo That's very dismissive, but not a compelling argument against what I've written. I played PoE 1, right when v3.0 arrived. First as a Wizard, but a bit after arriving in Defiance Bay, I restarted as a Cipher. On that run I scoured every bit of content right to to Twin Elms. I uninstalled the game not long after arriving. I knew the end had to be close, but I couldn't be bothered. Highlights of the game included the art direction and Durance. I did not play White March DLC. I do think the game had a great deal of potential, but just missed the mark. It's not awful, but it is not good. For a game and developer that were supposed to be a triumphant risen phoenix, that's a sin.

^ Top  
  16. Parabalus Arcane

Parabalus
    Even with those 'lackluster' spells PoE wizards are still OP compared to others.

Somehow Sawyer managed to fail both camps, those hungry for balance and those who want wizard's with AWESOMEBUTTONs.

Last edited: May 11, 2021
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. the mole Learned Shitposter

the mole
    so which one is it genius, lackluster or overpowered

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Funposter Liturgist

Funposter
    Lacklustre and overpowered are not antonyms.

^ Top  
  19. the mole Learned Shitposter

the mole
    you don't know shit about english then or context

in this context they are antonyms

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. the mole Learned Shitposter

the mole
    so which one is it, the spells are lackluster or overpowered

• Funny Funny x 1
    • butthurt butthurt x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. the mole Learned Shitposter

the mole
    how idiots use semantics to cover up their stupid subjective opinions 101

then they have the nerve to pretend they are objective

you're too old

gaming is done for you, there are no neurons being activated for you

• butthurt butthurt x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Meredoth Magister

Meredoth
    Yep. If Wizards had only fireball, but the fireball was enough to win any encounter wit it, it would be very lackluster and boring. Being a mage in Gothic 2 + RETURNING is not lackluster but is pretty hard. Took 14 hours for me to become a circle 1 necromancer in that game(the game is over 200 hours), not only being accepted into the circle of darkness require a long quest and grinding int(which can't be trained, you get int by reading books, doing alchemy, etc) and after it, I had to get reagents, a runestone and make a magical rune, each summon has a mana upkeep cost per second which can easily eats more mana than what you can regen with potion(which require a drinking animation and regents slowly)

When you get your first arrow of darkness spell, there are a lot of creatures which takes ZERO damage from it. In fact, as a dark magician you can only hope to defeat demons without spending expensive scrolls at circle 4. A thing which fire mages can do much earlier in the game. And circle 3 spear of darkness is strong enough to OHK dire wolves.

A RPG game is not like Chess where only the gameplay matters. The gameplay needs to be aligned with the lore. Disintegrate which never disintegrate anything, and works like a generic DoT, low INT wizards being possible despite the game's lore establishing that wizards are intellectuals, mundane animals soaking multiple fireballs(...) This is what makes magery lackluster on pillars.

• Yes Yes x 1
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. the mole Learned Shitposter

the mole
    so what does any of that verbal diarrhea have to do with pillars of eternity

a game you don't play and never play

• butthurt butthurt x 2
    ^ Top  
  24. Meredoth Magister

Meredoth

1 - An example of a game which made caster's live very hard and was very fun
    2 - An example that casters can be hard to be played without breaking the "role playing"
    3 - I posted a screenshot some posts ago showing over 90 hours on Pillars 2

^ Top  
  25. the mole Learned Shitposter

the mole
    none of the shit you said had anything to do with pillars of eternity

I feel like you didn't read my question

what the fuck does any of that have to do with pillars of eternity

• butthurt butthurt x 2
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.