Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Josh Sawyer reflects on his failures with Pillars of Eternity

Codex Year of the Donut
I really only care about voice acting in games where I can see the person's face during dialogue tbh.

Viata

Arcane
VtM Bloodlines is the only RPG where VO made the game better(probably because of the Engine, the character's face movement were great). Any other RPG it could be ignored and the game wouldn't miss anything.

Atchodas

Augur
A great game, but not really a typical cRPG.

:nocountryforshitposters:
It's not a typical cRPG because uhh... reasons!
It's closer to older cRPGs than rtwp trash is lmao

Codex logic is basically : DOS2 is trash because its popular and sold well oh and there are talking cats of course its trash.

Also same people : Cuckfinder wrath of the lesbians is a great game they just had to put all the gay shit at the start to get great reviews and then they had no other options but to continue the homosexual saga 11/10 GOTY.

Shadenuat

Arcane
DOS2 is trash because its char building, mechanics and itemization and area structure are mmo diablo 3.
no interesting choices to make in story, and no in combat because of shield system.

TB doesn't make a game an automatic incline. get over it.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
D:OS 2's elemental systems and co-op have far more to do with its sales than full voice acting. Full VA is one of those things that normies will insist is nice to have but it's not a make/break factor.

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I feel like voice acting is one of those things along with intricate combat animations where it's something that looks good in a trailer and immediately signals that the game has some production value. Which is necessary to an extend, because if people see something cheap looking it's a major turnoff for a lot of them. Hence why roguelikes tend to be really niche titles. But if the actual game mechanics are not engaging and the writing is bad in a manner where people want to actively avoid dealing with it (boring or writer thinking people will emotionally invest in things more than they actually do), people won't finish the game and generate word of mouth fame for it for free.

Last edited:

BlackGoat

Arbiter
It's done for Twitch streamers innit? So they don't have to read all the shit when they're advertising the game

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
How should Obsidian make PoE3 to keep up with BG3 success? My first though is vertical environments and reinvent the gameplay in some medievalish, not so much renaissance-ish Eora.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Codex logic is basically : DOS2 is trash because its popular and sold well oh and there are talking cats of course its trash.

No, is trash because it has the WORST armor system of any game, stat stickie itemization, cooldowns, archers which can't hit a elephant 14m away, ultra slow animation speed(...)

TB doesn't make a game an automatic incline. get over it.

Yep. But ToEE, Both Dark Sun games and KoTC 1/2 are masterpieces.

D:OS 2's elemental systems and co-op have far more to do with its sales than full voice acting.

And the fact that even game journos that can't play IWD:EE on story mode and cuphead in tutorial can play it.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Clearly, full voiceover
:deathclaw:
The game doesn't have that. Have you even played it ?
That's the entire point. Sawyer claimed that after D:OS2, there is an expectation that RPGs must have full VO and Deadfire wouldn't sell without it. WotR doesn't have it, yet judging by the numbers we have, it did much better than Kingmaker and Deadfire and even eclipsed PoE1. Clearly full VO is not required, and it won't save your game if the base is shit either.
Sold better because kingmaker was a good game,people don't really care about VA that much,it is nice addition if the devs could add it cheaply,but the writing and the gameplay are a lot more important. Also nu pathfinder is pretty bad :(. I feel a bit butthurt that it sold that well.

Takamori

Learned
DOS2 is fast food so to say, you will get enjoyment of it if you don't think too much about the context around you. Its a board game to play with your friends and you didn't have this sort of product at the time at least I can't think of anything else that tried to do this.

As people said ad nauseam already, the things that should be the core of an RPG they are weak if you are seeking for a high quality experience or something that you want to invest thought and time on or seek for creative math in order to build your character. The encounter design is all right, the color palette is a good change from the brown and bloom stuff that we get shoved daily with and multiplayer as much people hate this aspect here its a nice addition.

In the end they had to get stuff right in order to sell that many copies, we can argue about the depth of the product since popular product doesn't always equal into good product.

Saravan

Savant
A great game, but not really a typical cRPG.

:nocountryforshitposters:
It's not a typical cRPG because uhh... reasons!
It's closer to older cRPGs than rtwp trash is lmao

Also same people : Cuckfinder wrath of the lesbians is a great game they just had to put all the gay shit at the start to get great reviews and then they had no other options but to continue the homosexual saga 11/10 GOTY.

The cognitive dissonance is truly amazing. At a minimum people could try to be consistent in their bullshit.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Just goes to show gaymers can forgive black lesbian paladins as long as you can choose the number of warts on your nose in the character creator and there are at minimum five D20 rolls and three C&C branches behind every fart and burp.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
No, is trash because it has the WORST armor system of any game, stat stickie itemization, cooldowns, archers which can't hit a elephant 14m away, ultra slow animation speed(...)
And really really really bad writing and nonsensical story.

Dont you have your little gaymaker story to enjoy? I guess thats great writing :lol:
:deathclaw:

What are you on about? Are you one of those kwan deranged people that need 1k in drugs to barely function in real life ?

Orud

Scholar
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Just goes to show gaymers can forgive black lesbian paladins as long as you can choose the number of warts on your nose in the character creator and there are at minimum five D20 rolls and three C&C branches behind every fart and burp.

No kink shaming.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
And really really really bad writing and nonsensical story.

Dont you have your little gaymaker story to enjoy? I guess thats great writing :lol:

Many people don't like but I LOVED the story.

Is original. You are not the hero attempting to save the world. You are just a guy wanting to kill bandits cuz a opportunity to get a nobility title appeared. After you get the barony, a lot of problems happens and you discover that your new land is close to the feyworld, and ancient curses, enemies which are mere toys of greater powers(...), neighbor corrupt kingdoms, barbarian tribes, a cyclop army being raised and attacking a settlement and a entire optional chapter. That is a huge masterpiece.

And the game is very immersive. I loved it so much.

Reader

Scholar
I really only care about voice acting in games where I can see the person's face during dialogue tbh
Agree. But i really could live without voice acting of these guys

img-57.JPG

Reader

Scholar
I'm not against the Ithorians. It's just listening to BAH BAH DEE BAH BAH DEH BWAH in thousandth time makes me mad.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom