Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Josh Sawyer's long-awaited historical RPG is called Pentiment, coming next year

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Josh Sawyer; Obsidian Entertainment; Pentiment

We've known since 2019 that a small team at Obsidian led by Josh Sawyer was working on some sort of unusual combat-less RPG, codenamed Project Missouri. A few bits of information about this project have been revealed over the years, but it's been nothing compared to the constant teasing that preceded the formal announcement of Pillars of Eternity II. However, that might be about to change. Last week, GamesBeat editor Jeff Grubb revealed some new details about Project Missouri on his podcast at GiantBomb. The following day, Windows Central reporter Jez Corden, who published his impressions of an early build of Avowed last month, revealed on his podcast that the game's title was Pentiment. As expected, it is indeed the historical RPG that Josh announced his intention to direct way back in 2016. Today, Corden published a useful summary of everything that has been revealed about Pentiment, along with an art asset that "may represent" the visual style the game is going for.

Recently revealed by Jeff Grubb on his premium Grubbsnax show, Obsidian's "indie"-style effort is emerging from a small team led by Josh Sawyer, famed for his leadership on what is arguably the best Fallout game; New Vegas, as well as a personal fave, Pillars of Eternity.

I recently revealed the game's name with my co-host Rand_Al_Thor_19 on our Xbox Two podcast. It's being called "Pentiment," which refers to "an underlying image in a painting, especially one that has become visible when the top layer of paint has turned transparent with age," according to the dictionary. This naming convention hints at the game's premise, by which you act as an investigator in 16th century Europe uncovering the truth behind a grisly murder.

Grubb mentioned that Pentiment takes cues from the likes of Disco Elysium and the branching narrative designs Josh Sawyer is known for. You'll be able to investigate and make accusations against the characters in-game, which could lead to cascading consequences if you're wrong. It'll be a dialogue-heavy game with decisions to make and response options to choose from, which will shape your experience as you unwrap the murder conspiracy before you.

I am told that Pentiment is being built by a small team of around 12 people, and is more of a narrative RPG adventure than something combat-oriented. The art asset above may represent some of the designs the game is gunning for. Jeff Grubb also mentioned that Pentiment is exploring "experimental" gameplay elements, too, although they may ultimately not make it into the final release. Speaking of which, Grubb also noted that Pentiment is indeed gunning for a 2022 launch.
Hopefully this means Pentiment will be announced soon, perhaps at Geoff Keighley's The Game Awards event next month. The image, by the way, appears to be a depiction of the legendary Christian king Prester John, seemingly based on an 1800 illustration by French artist Pierre-Antoine Demachy. Mmm, I can already taste the pretention.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Pentiment: An underlying image in a painting, especially one that has become visible when the top layer of paint has turned transparent with age, providing evidence of revision by the artist.

I hope this isn't meant literally, and that he had no clue wtf he was making.

Generic-Giant-Spider

I am told that Pentiment is being built by a small team of around 12 people, and is more of a narrative RPG adventure than something combat-oriented.

My penis, she softens.

Edit: Unless it's something like King of Dragon Pass, then she hardens once more. But I doubt it.

Zeriel

Arcane
Josh Sawyer consistently nailing those terrible design decisions, what a champ at being shit.
I am told that Pentiment is being built by a small team of around 12 people, and is more of a narrative RPG adventure than something combat-oriented.

My penis, she softens.

Edit: Unless it's something like King of Dragon Pass, then she hardens once more. But I doubt it.

KODP had combat.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
How the fuck do you do a legit a historical rpg without combat? Talk about fantasy. Dragons and wizards ar emore likely to be real than non violence. LMAO

Alter Sack

Magister
Oh boy, have I a bad feeling.

Can't wait to play a 'historical' middle ages rpg made by sjws.

I wouldn't be surprised if there will be some female/trans knights, evil templars/crusaders, noble Muslims and a good amount of homosexuality.

To top it of it will be filled to the brim with todays sjw moral 'values' which will be shoved down your throat while playing the game.

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
So he's making an adventure game, after all, he just doesn't want to say that? Even the Quest for Glory series had combat.

ADL

Prophet
Surprised this isn't a 2023 game. Don't know where I read this but allegedly Obsidian wanted a new game out every year for the next five years and 2022 belongs to Grounded, 2023 Avowed, 2024 The Outer Worlds 2. Guess you gotta fit this little project somewhere in that timeline.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
No combat, dialogue heavy, europe in the 1700s, discolike elysiumlike, no saving the world plot...yeah, this will be a codex favorite. Maybe 2022 top 3, below Elden Ring and Starfield.

The game isn't being made by Slavs, so no chance.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
No combat, dialogue heavy, europe in the 1700s, discolike elysiumlike, no saving the world plot...yeah, this will be a codex favorite. Maybe 2022 top 3, below Elden Ring and Starfield.
The game isn't being made by Slavs, so no chance.
Disco wasn't made by Slavs either.

Wasn't claiming it was. I don't know where that game is from. I just don't think Sawyer's game will win this site's love over whatever DLC CDPR shits out next year.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Why is everybody and their mom trying some kind of obscure, experimental RPG when very few people get the traditional model right in the first place?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom