Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Josh Sawyer's Pillars of Eternity Tabletop RPG

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Does this game has OHK spells? Every good magical TT RPG has it
  • GURPS has OHK magic
  • Vampire: The Masquerade too.
  • Mage : The ascension too.
  • Lamentations of the flame princess too.
  • Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea too.
  • D&D 1/2/3E too.
  • Pathfinder 1E too.
Even PF2E, which is vastly inferior to 1E has SOME spells which OHK on critical like finger of death.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Does this game has OHK spells? Every good magical TT RPG has it

Assuming it's like the games, there are two spells (Death Ring for wizards, Detonate for ciphers) that will outright destroy any target that has 20% or less of its health left. Sawyer is against all-or-nothing save-or-die spells.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
There's no way he made the TT combat as low lethality as the CRPG, right? It would take all day to do a single combat encounter.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
There's no way he made the TT combat as low lethality as the CRPG, right? It would take all day to do a single combat encounter.

D&D 4E disagrees with you.

Yes, there is mobs with hundreds of hit points if not thousands on mid levels and mid levels spells like disintegrate which would OHK then on any previous edition or other TT game, just dishes 4d10 + int mod damage and a ongoing minor damage. Why anyone would play his CRPG over D&D 5E, 3E, 2E, 1E or any retroclone?

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
It looks like a really tanky ruleset.
The huge attack that killed one of his guys did 1d12+3d6.
That is 16 damage average. All his doods have above 30 hp.
So even if you do an all out super duper attack you only take about half someone's hp bar on average, which sounds very par for the course for the pillars balance.
Also the units seem to have soak on top of all that hp. Soak, if it works like in other pnps, is flat damage resist (formerly DR). If you have a unit with 37 health and 11 soak (that barbarian chick) it is save to say that that chara can take a few dozen swings from normal attacks, unless soak is limited in some form.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I guess it's on brand for Sawyer to get really enthusiastic about some incredibly boring stuff that only a few people will ultimately care about.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
This thread is a vital resource documenting Sawyer's slow descent into madness. Dude is basically talking to himself about a game he is playing with himself.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Can't see twatter. Whats it say?

When I do something in the Pillars tabletop game and then remember the same thing existed in Deadfire and I check how we did it there and it's the same way because I also did that.

Hmm. I should make Berath's Spiritual Weapon a long sword that does Corrode damage. Wait I should check to s- yes! Yes! Brilliant.

His senility makes him forget, but the autism ensures he will always do things exactly the way he did them before.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom