Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

JRPGs with interesting systems

Alex

Arcane
Hey there, everyone. I normally don't post much here, as JRPGs aren't much of my thing. In fact, I go so far as to say that most JRPGs aren't RPGs at all, or at least have half of their features working against any role playing aspect they may have. That said, I have seem very interesting ideas in them over the years. So, I was hoping that you guys could enlighten me about some stuff I don't know about. I am visiting my brother in Tokyo right now, and I think this might be an unique opportunity to snag something I just wouldn't be able to find back home.

Let me start by listing a few games I have already played and thought would fit my criteria. Although, if anyone replying to this thread feels a certain game would fit here, but feels it doesn't fit what I am looking for, please, feel free to post away! After all, it is better to be comprehensive than lacking.

1. Ogre Battle

This game not only has a very interesting character system, but it also manages to make the game actually feel like an RPG. It has a large job system for humans, with your attributes and alignment determining which jobs are available to you. Furthermore, each job has an upgrade version, and sometimes more than one. Certain classes are also only accessible through special items, or certain actions. For example, you can get a unit turned into a werewolf if it is defeated by one. Different classes are also able to recruit different creatures. Wizards, for example, can summon hellhounds and giants, while a doll mage may craft golems.

The game also has an interesting system for dealing with monsters. Dragons have a special place, they are able to evolve in a variety of ways, but like humans, you need to be careful with their alignment. Other monsters have much more static progressions, but they are still interesting because of their non-standard movement type. Gryphons, for example, can fly through the map, carrying friendly units on their backs, while octopuses can go through the oceans just as if they were plains.

All this ties down to the actual game and levels. Alignment, for example, is a very important stat, and is changed by how you face of enemies. Fighting against lower level enemies lowers your alignment to the side of chaos, while fighting higher level ones shifts it towards order. The enemy faced also has an effect (killing undead raise your ali, while killing clerics lowers it). As you explore different areas, you may find different items needed to upgrade certain classes, or meet differentimportant NPCs, which you may recruit or influence. All this affects your reputation, which summed with your many actions and who is left alive will determine which of the many endings you get. My only big complaint about this game is that, with this very interesting job system in place, the designers somehow thought fitting of straddling the main character with a fixed class. Also, while it is great that your alignment change is tied to how you play, the ways it work sometimes are very unintuitive, which kind of harms the game story you build in your mind.

The other "ogre" series games usually feature some of these elements as well, although I really got the impression that their scenarios, in order to be more closely knit together, foregone some of the freedom the first game allowed the player. All ogre games are divided in stages which you must complete sequentially, with some big decisions sometimes changing which stage you get. However, while the first game tied the stages together mostly by having a certain character you recruited earlier trigger a different response in certain situations, the newer gaes tried to make a more cohesive story.

2. Final Fantasies

While this series is probably one of the most guilty of killing any RPG role playing aspect with a static (and often awful) story, I still mention it because many of its games had interesting systms that allowed some character customization. The materia system from 7, the "esper" system from 6, the job system from 5, or even the GF system from 8 or the weird thing they did in 10 were interesting ways to build your character, even if many ofthese ended up being fundamentally flawed in some way or other. I think my favorite one is the job system from tactics, although I do think it is fucking stupid that important NPCs in that game are simply give special classes outside the normal ones available to regular characters.

3. Star Ocean

The first two games in this series (never played the others) had an awesome skill system in place. By spending your skill points wisely, you can open up all manner of crafting options, that create items way above what you would normally be able to buy at any given moment in the game, as well as giving you ridiculous amounts of money. While this may seem broken (and in fact, it was, a bit), it also makes for a nice way to make the game less linear. I mean, the story may progress like always, but at least the skills you can explore are much less limited by where you are in the game right now.

Other interesting aspects of this game are private actions and the action battle system. The private actions allow your PC to interact in towns with other party members and other oddities in there, and usually give you some small measure of choice as to what he does. While this usually matters little in the larger context, I still think it is nice to include a more mundane aspect to the game, and it does ffect what kind of ending you get by changing how much each character likes each other.

The battle system is actiony, and a bit similar to beat em ups. While I am not very fond of action RPGs, I think it can be a lot of fun to play around with the different kinds of attacks you can use, and try to combinate them in a way to kill the enemies without being hit.

One aspect I lament about this game though is that while the skills are important for making items, and while they do give you stats increases that are useful in battle, they have little direct effect in combat. Your characters still learn spells and special attacks just according to their levels. This is a big missed opportunity I think. They could have had item creation skills where each character could come up with new spells and skills, some of which they wouldn't have been able to use themselves. It might have been keyed to the affection system too, making that a more important aspect of the game. I understand the first game actually had one or two cases of this, where a character would write a book describing a special attack, but this was the exception, not the norm.

4. Rudora no Hihou

Obviously, I mention this because of its magic system. In order to cast spells, you would need to actually spell them. That is, write their names. You could find new spells by fighting monsters and learning it from them, or mixing some generic words with spells you already knew to make them stronger. You could also come across them by sheer luck, or just trying a few words, like "tsunami". Another game that had something similar (but not quite) was a game called "Kartia", I think, which was an strategy RPG for the PS.

5. Chrono Trigger

Chrono Trigger, while often cited as an example of very good JRPG, actually is very standard JRPG fare. In fact, I would say the character growth system and the amount of skills leave something to be desired. Still, I think it bears mentioning because of two facts:

First, it has an interesting battle system, with different attacks having different areas and shapes, allowing you to play around a bit to hit more or less enemies with each attack. In fact, given how important this is, it still boggles my mind that you don't have an option to move your characters in the battlefield after combat starts, or that close range attacks can almost always be used, no matter the distance.

The other aspect I found interesting is that later on, the game becomes less linear, allowing you to take side qests as you wish. But, since the game features time travle, a lot of the side quests require you to do things in the past and then in the future, such as charging the sun orb.If the game had real C&C to go along with it, it would have been amazing.

By the way, I think the combo system to have been a nice idea, but since it reuired no input from the player, and the skills each character has are already limited, it didn't feel all that important either.

6. Saga Frontier

This game had an interesting system where you would learn skills in battle if you had available skills slots as well as if you managed to pass some criteria (I am not sure, but I think your stats and equipment could open up certain skills). It actually had a good variety of different kinds of skills and characters:

Combat skills work exactly as mentioned above. Usually, human characters are the ones to learn these.

Magic skills are initially bought. However, certain quests initiate you in a magical school, allowing you to learn the rest of the spells in that school by continuously using its bought spells. Some spells would also be upgraded after you completed these quests. Each school also had its opposite, and you couldn't learn from both schools (except for Blue). Humans and mystics may both use magic, and mystics have a special school open to them.

Monster skills are learned by absorbing monsters, and have a certain effect on your stats. Monster characters can learn these skills, and change their shape and stats to match the monster they absorbed it from. Mystics can also learn these, although they don't change shape.

Robot skills can be learned by mechanical PCs in your team by downloading them from defeated enemy machines.

Besides these different skills, there are also the mentioned races, whch are customized differently. Robots, for example, have their stats and growth determined by their equipment, while monsters can't equip items at all.

All in all, this was a very interesting system, although I feel it was a bit "shallow". At least in that, outside of fighting skills, there weren't that many skills of other types to play around with, discover and try to make your characters around. That said, the different unique main characters, who usually had some unique trait to them, were a lot of fun. The game also stands out because it gives you a lot of freedom in tackling it.

7. Saga Frontier 2

This game was a bit (ok, maybe a lot) of a let down from the other games. There was much less customization, or different traits between characters. And the game was a lot more on rails, although what order you tackled the set scenarios was up to you. Still, I think it bears mentioning because of the system it uses to tell its tale. The player is able to view different events in the time line and tackle them in the order they preffer, with each even possibly opening up others. Besides the already mentioned effect of making the game linear, this also had the side effect of making shopping and customizing your characters a lot harder. Still, it was an interesting idea, and could have been great if executed without these flaws.

8. Valkyrie Profile

This is a pretty cool game, but is unfortunately a bit weighed down by common JRPG tropes, I think. In this game you can collect different characters, each with their own sets of combat moves. You use these moves in combat together seeking to create combos, which allow you to use special moves, as well as hit an enemy for a while without being hit in return.

One thing this game does that is very interesting is that, different from many japanese action RPGs, magic doesn't feel totally disjoint from the combat system. The only downside is that magic isn't really unique by characters, meaning spellcasters are pretty much interchangeable.

Another interesting point of the game is the level design, with many levels being about recruiting a specific soul or facing a specific, story related dungeon, but a few of them being completely optional fare that, sometimes, really tested your abilities.

The game also featured a system where you would send some of the souls you recruited back to Asgard, and could even read about their exploits from then on, with different souls being more or less fit to the needs of Asgard at certain times. Sending fit souls would ensure you would get a lot of money on each story stage.

Unfortunately, the game was very linear. While it did reward players who explored the world througly with a different game path and ending, it didn't really feature much C&C at all.

9. Secret of Mana

Secret of Mana featured a very standard levelling system. But one aspect of it where it shined were the many ways you could charge up your weapons and how you would attack, according to these. SoM is an action RPG, and different attacks may or may not hit enemies. So, if you use your weapon wrong, you will just end up missing. The enormous charge times for the higher level weapon attacks were kind of unusable, but they were still fun to play with, once or twice.

The combat system is also praiseworthy, I feel, even more so than its sequel. In the sequel, you always end up aiming at a nearby monster when you attack, making positioning not really important. It is just a pity that the magic system works completely outside combat.

10. Legend of Mana

This game for the playstation is really an odd one, full of interesting, but sometimes very flawed, systems. The gae has, for example, a nice crafting system where you can make a huge variety of weapons and armor, which may give you various different modifiers to attributes or even unique traits. Unfortunately, the system to design these is arcane as hell, and relies in a whole lot of trial and error to figure out. Add to that that getting enough ingredients for all that trial and error actually require a whole lot of grinding, and what could have been an awesome game feature ends up very tarnished. You can, of course, read a faw to figure out how the system works, but them, it becomesobvious how to make invencible weapons. The game could have really benefited if the properties of different items in crafting had been linked to the lore of the game world and its stories somehow.

Other systems include creating golems and magical instruments. Golems are fun to play with, but have a lot less depth than weapon crafting. Furthermore, they too require a lot of grinding to pay off. Magical instruments let you use magic in combat. Different from secret of Mana, magic here doesn't automatically strike, it needs to be aimed, and you have a bit of variety in the shapes you can produce. Unfortunately, this game fixes this flaw by creating another. Magic is just another attack here. It doesn't have any kind of interesting effects or non combat uses.

Another very interesting system is the world creation and the quest systems. As you progress in the game quests, you get different objects. You can place these objects in the map to them have access to new areas. The farther these objects are placed, the higher the level of the monsters in there. Furthermore, different areas affect the mana levels of the surrounding areas, affecting what kind of mana spirits you can find there. Finally, the quest system in this game is very open ended, with many different threads being encounterable in different places andthe followed.

11. Secret of Evermore

In terms of system, this game doesn't really do anything much differeng from Secret of Mana. But it does have two strong points, I think. First, because it has an alchemy system, it encourages the player to explore the different environmnt, without needing to resort to grinding enemies. This goes well with the second feature, which is an actual interesting exploration. There are a few neat things spread through the game world to find, such as new recipes, quirky NPCs and even bartering deals.

Another strong point is that the game's story isn't awful like a lot of the stuff in here, being good humored and quirky. However, this has nothing to do with systems. By the way, just so I am not accused of just preffering western stories, I think the same can be said about Earthbound, although a lack of any interesting systems kept me from mentioning it.

[Edit]
12. Dungeons & Dragons - Tower of Doom and Shadow over Mystara

While these games are very much beat em ups, I think they are the best example we have of action RPGs, blending different characters with many different special abilities with the genre. The characters in the game also have levels, gain XP and can carry different sorts of items and equipment.

If the game wasn't an arcade game, and could have had, say a bigger game world, with actual exploration and the like (and maybe a few more hours of gameplay), it could have been the perfect blend of beat em ups and JRPGs. So, I think it should be mentioned as well.
[/Edit]

Well, these are the games I can think of now. I may append to this list later if I think of any others. I would love to know about any other game you guys feel should be here, even if they don't have any kind of english translation or such. I don't particularly care if the game came from Japan either.

P.S. In before someone mentions Planescape: Torment.

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
This is one hell of a list, my friend.

Ogre Battle's reputation system is one of my favorites, especially since it has numerous endings according to your actions. It's one of the few games where you can be an evil bastard, but thanks to propaganda, namely having angels/clerics liberate towns, you're regarded as a true hero of the rebellion. The complete opposite is also true, where you can be a good fellow, but due to your unfortunate habit of liberating towns with units led by vampires who are guarded by werewolves, you're held in a terrible light.

How many games successfully pull that off?

Alex

Arcane

Thanks! And sorry if I went a bit overboard with it, but I thought I should be a thorough in the first post as possible.

Ogre Battle's reputation system is one of my favorites, especially since it has numerous endings according to your actions. It's one of the few games where you can be an evil bastard, but thanks to propaganda, namely having angels/clerics liberate towns, you're regarded as a true hero of the rebellion. The complete opposite is also true, where you can be a good fellow, but due to your unfortunate habit of liberating towns with units led by vampires who are guarded by werewolves, you're held in a terrible light.

Indeed! I heard Ogre Battle 64 was more in the vein of the original one than the tactics titles, but even it aparently lacked the original's depth. Which is a pity, I would love to see more games like that.

laclongquan

Arcane
12. Chronos Chross

The system of Cross is interesting in that you can use attacks to manipulate the characteristics of the battlefield, to enable/disable certain special attack, to boost/debuff certain elemental attack. Beside that, the item crafting aspect also require grinding, although it might not too demanding considering the huge swath of game you have to go through to achieve the plentiful endings.

deuxhero

Arcane
Mainline Atelier series have a very flexible main goal (Like convincing the king an alchemy school is a worthwhile investment or getting a kingdom to a minimum standard of growth, which can be done in many different ways) controlled by many separate subgoals (clear this land, build a farm, establish a water supply) that don't need to all be completed to progress (vaugely like Obsidan's honeycomb structure), a time limit that stops you from doing all of them in a single playthrough unless you plan well, but is generous enough you can't really be screwed over unless you try/are a professional gaming journalist (TM) and a REALLY good alchemy system.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I normally don't post much here, but when I do I post a lv 99 wall of text.
Fix'ed.

Now to some systems I think are interesting that you didn't mention:

Chrono Cross:
While a sequel of sorts to CT, had many changes, the most interesting being the extremely unique magic system:

23863-chrono-cross-playstation-screenshot-choosing-a-spells.jpg
81-sidequest91.jpg

First, magic have colors/elements, and each character has a different color/element; they recieve a bonus casting their color, and extra damage from oposing color.

Second, spells are divided into tiers, from lv1 to lv9. Each tier has slots, that you unlock as you level up, and equip/memmorize spells into them, vancian-like. However, you can bend the rules, and equip a lv 4 spell at lv 6 tier, so it will recieve a +2 bonuses, or equip a lv 8 spell as a lv 5, turning it into a -3 spell.

Third, you must biuld up "mana" to cast spells, by attacking or taking damage. So to cast that lv 9 spell, you gona have to deal/take some serious damage and avoid casting spells until your mana reaches lv 9.

Finally, there's Field Effect; the game keeps track of the last 3 spell colors casted, and those affect the battle. Cast 3 white spells and the field will be fully white, giving MASSIVE bonus to the next white spells, and MASSIVE negative effects to black spells. There are even spells to control the field effect. It all works pretty well, and you have to carefully consider both your enemy and your party's slection of character's elements & spells equiped. A full white party will be able to keep the field under control and get sweet bonuses, but will also suffer heavily from anti-white spells and black attacks.

Also, there is no grinding; only "key battles" level you up. There are some hidden key battles that can help you get stronger, but still most of the time you'll be exactly at the level intended for each encounter, so they can be very challenging sometimes, no way to grind to make it easier.

Final Fantasy XIII:

Quite a unique and overlooked FF (yeah, it's linear as fuck and the tutorial takes 12 hours), but the combat system is very interesting IMHO. There are 6 classes:

cMl7NvF.jpg

Your party has 3 bros, each one can has 3 classes, that can be swapped in-combat (but you lose a turn).

Every enemy and the party menbers have a "chain gauge"; it's starts at 100%, and can go up to 999%. An enemy with a 100% chain gauge takes 1x damage, 200% 2x and so on. To raise the gauge, you need to hit the enemy with Ravagers or Saboteurs, and them "consolidate" the % with a melee attack from a Commando, or it will decrease back.

Each enemy has a different "breaking point" for their gauge; once that point is reached, the enemy "staggers", being stunned, unable to attack and weaker to damage & status effects. Some enemies go as far as being tottaly invunerable unless under stagger effect.

IMHO this adds a lot to the battle, as filling the gauge and keeping it full is vital to defeating enemies, as the difference from taking 1x damage to 6x is massive. This keeps you from relying too much on defensive formations, as you'll do minimal damage and the enmies will eventually stagger YOU, making all that defense backfire.

Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne

Two things stand out on this one:

You collect pokemon demons, not by throwing demonballs, but by giving gifts, intimidating, seducing, answering riddles or even bribbing the regular enemies you find in random battles. There are many effets into this, like having a fairy demon makes it easier to recruit another fairy demon, and so on.

The combat is phase based, with your entire party going at once, and you can pass the turn of one character to another. So if you have 2 fighters and one healer, you can make the healer give his turn to allow one fighter to attack 2 times. It also has a rock-paper-scisors kind of elemental damage, and hitting an enemy with an element he's weak will not only deal more damage, but also add one "turn" to your phase. The reverse is also true, so being hit by a super-effective attack steals one turn from your phase, and dumbly casting a element on an enemy that absorves that element instantly ends your phase.

I think that's it... Vagrant Story also has a very unique battle system with real-time movement mixed with turn-based and even aimed attacks, but I'm too sleepy to writte something proper... If no one does it until tomorrow, I'll update the post. :P

EDIT: Just remenbered, Phantom Brave had that interesting stuff where you summoned your characters inside object lying on the battle field, and that affected their status... amanhã escrevo mais...Zzzzzzzzz....

Alex

Arcane
12. Chronos Chross

The system of Cross is interesting in that you can use attacks to manipulate the characteristics of the battlefield, to enable/disable certain special attack, to boost/debuff certain elemental attack. Beside that, the item crafting aspect also require grinding, although it might not too demanding considering the huge swath of game you have to go through to achieve the plentiful endings.

Oh, yeah! Forgot about that one too! I would thing the way the game deal with many NPCs also merits some exposure, as different choices will land you with a different set of followers, and they can open up different options down the road. There are even a few circunstances that how you treat them change how the game reacts, and the two alternate realities are used to very good effect sometimes. It is just a pity that these aspects can't reach all their potential given how the game is a bit linear, I think.

Another cool thing was that you had a good variety of elements to choose from to equip on the characters. I kinda wished they had made them somehow combine like the skills in CT, though. And maybe make certain spells work better with a specific coloring of the field, rather than you always wanting to paint it all in the same color as your big spell...

Whisky

The Solution

Thanks! And sorry if I went a bit overboard with it, but I thought I should be a thorough in the first post as possible.

Indeed! I heard Ogre Battle 64 was more in the vein of the original one than the tactics titles, but even it aparently lacked the original's depth. Which is a pity, I would love to see more games like that.

That is the Matsuno Conundrum. Produce a game with an amazing and unique system that you will never see again. Ogre Battle 64 was good too, but yeah, it was nowhere near as cool, lacking all the many, many endings of Ogre Battle. You can still be the Practical Incarnation in gameplay, but the ending won't change much to meet it.

10. Legend of Mana
Legend of Mana happens to be one of my favorite games, but man is it flawed. When mashing X slowly enough, so that you don't combo, is better than actually comboing, you have created a monster (That I still love). If there was one game I could magically iron out all the flaws, this would be it. For some reason, the whole sidequest-only thing really stuck with me (Sure there's 3 main sidequest lines, but they can all be done or only one.). Sadly, like Ogre Battle, there's no game like it out there.

Alex

Arcane
Mainline Atelier series have a very flexible main goal (Like convincing the king an alchemy school is a worthwhile investment or getting a kingdom to a minimum standard of growth, which can be done in many different ways) controlled by many separate subgoals (clear this land, build a farm, establish a water supply) that don't need to all be completed to progress (vaugely like Obsidan's honeycomb structure), a time limit that stops you from doing all of them in a single playthrough unless you plan well, but is generous enough you can't really be screwed over unless you try/are a professional gaming journalist (TM) and a REALLY good alchemy system.

Thanks! I had heard of the Atelier series before, but I know pretty much nothing about them. I am going to check the wikipedia anyway, and I really don't mean to impose. But could you say something about the individual titles? Such as what hardware they use or if they have any unique strengths/weaknesses?

felipepepe

Thanks! I also had forgotten about the spell level thing, which was pretty cool. By the way, wasn't FFXIII the one that looked a bt like a single player MMO? I had heard bad things about it, but what you describe does look interesting. I will try to look into it. Thanks for the blurb on Nocturne and Vagrant Story too, by the way.

deuxhero

Arcane
Swordcraft Story had an interesting system where breaking an opponents weapon let you make it yourself (You can't kill the opponent and take it yourself because a: your character is only capable of using weapons she has crafted and b:you can't kill anyone, either you are in a "friendly" fight or the enemy is smart enough to know when to run/surrender)

Thanks! I had heard of the Atelier series before, but I know pretty much nothing about them. I am going to check the wikipedia anyway, and I really don't mean to impose. But could you say something about the individual titles? Such as what hardware they use or if they have any unique strengths/weaknesses?

Totori and Meruru (PS3) are both great, Rorona (PS3) is bad/completely unpolished, Iris and Mana Khemia (PS2) are largely normal jRPGs with the alchemy system grafted on them and nothing else is in English beside Annie (DS) and Ayesha (ps3) which I haven't gotten to yet.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
A note about Star Ocean 2: You actually CAN acquire new special attacks for a couple characters (Opera and Precis) through the use of the machinery skill. It's a pretty minor/obscure thing though.

Regarding other games with good systems....

Shadowrun for the genesis springs to mind. Obviously it's cribbed from the PnP game, but even so, the amount of freedom you had in that game was wonderful, making contacts, purchasing illegal equipment, fighting, running from, or fast talking the cops, hiring runners for the short or long term, building a relationship or not, what skills to invest in, how to earn money... just tons of cool shit you had control over. No one system really stood out as being good, but so many were implemented together and interacted with each other, the end result was excellent.

Lufia 2 gets a nod from me for the IP system, which is the first (and best) implementation of the 'limit break' system that final fantasy is now associated with. Different pieces of equipment had (or didn't have, some were just blank) Item Point skills which could be activated for a portion of your IP bar, which filled as the character takes damage and empties if they die. This added a great layer to equipment, since an item that might be statistically inferior could have a very valuable IP skill. And then that might become irrelevant because another item that character can use has a skill that fills the same role, and you might replace it with an item that has an entirely different but generally weaker skill, or no skill at all. The game was also just plain well designed in many regards, but that's another topic.

Bahamut Lagoon: Frickin' dragon raising. Ok, the system wasn't terribly complex or in depth, but the fact that you could feed items to your flock of dragons and each one had like a dozen different forms it could change into as you gave it whatever elemental affinities and stat modifiers you wanted was fucking awesome. I mean look at these fuckers: http://www.fantasyanime.com/squaresoft/bahamut_sprites.htm

Azure Dreams: While this kind of halfassed a lot of roguelike elements for the sake of a console audience, and was married to a dating sim, the core mechanic of the game; wandering through the dungeon with two leashed monsters under your indirect control mowing down your enemies, was fucking awesome. And you got to find eggs in the dungeon and hatch them so you could use the monsters that were just kicking your ass. But it was handled much better than pokemon, with the eggs being quite rare so you actually had to make the most of what you had rather than just pick the most broken thing in the whole game to steamroll shit with. If I ever learn to program I'm going to try writing a roguelike that uses this mechanic of having a pair of raised monsters fighting for you.

Breath of Fire 3: Dragon gene system. Basically the main character can turn into a dragon temporarily during battles for a cost of MP. When you do this, you select up to 3 of the 'genes' you have found so far in the game (Examples being Fire, Ice, Defender, Thorn, Reverse, some more hidden than others) each of which has an AP cost associated with it. You add up all the costs, pay that cost (and 1/3 or 1/2 the cost again for each round you stay in dragon form) and turn into a dragon of a type determined by the combination. Every combination produces SOMETHING, but particular combinations are more effective. For example, combining Ice + Defender will give you an adult dragon form with high defensive stats, including iirc absorbing cold damage. Throw in the Reverse gene, and you get a fire version with offensive stats. Ice all by itself gives you a puny whelp dragon with weak ice attacks and only minor stat increases over human form, but it's very cheap. Another combination can give you a massive land blob dragon with a 1000% hp modifier and hefty attacks, which is so large it replaces the entire party at once. Cool stuff.

Breath of Fire 5: Again, fucking awesome dragon system. This time, you have a meter, rating from 0 to 100%, which activates early on in the game. The meter gradually grows over time no matter what, but just walking around is an incredibly small increase (like 00.01% every 7 steps or so?). Using your special dash power, which lets you blow past enemies without encountering them, burns it up a lot faster, maybe ~00.2% per second? Actual combat burns up 00.1% per turn. And of course, actually using your dragon power in combat raises it as well. Transforming costs a full 1%, every round spent like that takes 1%, and actual attacks takes 2-4% (Though the stronger attacks can one or two shot most enemies in the game, including bosses.) And you get a breath weapon, which burns through the meter exceptionally fast, but does exponentially more damage the more you spend. ~20% is enough to overkill anything in the game probably. 95% puts out numbers that are orders of magnitude greater than anything you'll otherwise see. And the kicker: when the meter reaches 100% you die. Not 'oh, better get out the phoenix down' die, game over die. And the meter can't be lowered. Ever. So if you use it as a crutch to get through boss battles early on, you might get to the end of the game without enough to spare for when you really need it. Or worse yet, you might actually find it literally impossible to beat the game on that playthrough because just normal walking and fighting will inch the meter up to 100% before you can win. The game also has a whole newgame + and weird save system thing too, but I just love it for the dragon system. The feeling of burning up a permanent, irreplaceable resource to utterly destroy an enemy you despise in a fit of rage is fantastic. On top of that, the dragon form is so overwhelmingly strong you are essentially a demigod, a degree of power truly fitting the story of the series and the mythology of dragons in general. DnD dragons may be able to flatten buildings and sleep through a hail of arrows, but this fucker is literally top of the food chain, rip-a-battleship-in-half tier invincible.

Alex

Arcane
By the way, I just remembered one that isn't really a JRPG, but I think it isn't such a crime to post it:

22(?). Yume Nikki

This game isn't really a JRPG at all, and is in fact pretty much an adventure game. But I think it deserves a space here for managing something many JRPGs don't: a sense of exploration. Of course, that isn't so hard when exploration is the whole point of the game. In Yume Nikki, you get to explore the dream world of the main character, going into strange, bizarre and sometimes outright creepy areas all the while never exchanging a line of dialogue. Every night, when you go to sleep, you arrive at the main hub, where you can choose which dream world to explore by entering one of several doors. As you explore those, you come across "effects" you can use to change the environment or gain new movement abilities. Among those are a bike that allows you to move quickly, an umbrella which makes it rain when you use and a knife with which you can kill NPCs.

Although the game is very interesting, and I think certainly worthy of a look, I bring it up here mostly because of the effects. One aspect I feel is sadly missing from many JRPG is any kind of ability that ffects the gameworld outside combat. Well, I guess this is becoming true about western RPGs as well, but still, I though it beared mentioning.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
It's telling that Kawazu worked on 4 of the games (5 if you count Final Fantasies!) in your top ten. I'll add something more meaningful soon!

Alex

Arcane
A note about Star Ocean 2: You actually CAN acquire new special attacks for a couple characters (Opera and Precis) through the use of the machinery skill. It's a pretty minor/obscure thing though.

I didn't actually know that. Guess it is time for a replay!

Regarding other games with good systems....

Shadowrun for the genesis springs to mind. Obviously it's cribbed from the PnP game, but even so, the amount of freedom you had in that game was wonderful, making contacts, purchasing illegal equipment, fighting, running from, or fast talking the cops, hiring runners for the short or long term, building a relationship or not, what skills to invest in, how to earn money... just tons of cool shit you had control over. No one system really stood out as being good, but so many were implemented together and interacted with each other, the end result was excellent.

I don't think there are any games quite like the Genesis shadowrun either... Which is a shame really. The game is more faithful to the tabletop experience than many computer games.

Lufia 2 gets a nod from me for the IP system, which is the first (and best) implementation of the 'limit break' system that final fantasy is now associated with. Different pieces of equipment had (or didn't have, some were just blank) Item Point skills which could be activated for a portion of your IP bar, which filled as the character takes damage and empties if they die. This added a great layer to equipment, since an item that might be statistically inferior could have a very valuable IP skill. And then that might become irrelevant because another item that character can use has a skill that fills the same role, and you might replace it with an item that has an entirely different but generally weaker skill, or no skill at all. The game was also just plain well designed in many regards, but that's another topic.

Lufia 2 was one of my favorite games too, back then. I remember it had a puzzle layer that at least added a little variety, although I also remember most of them being plain easy, and also had a subsystem where you found and raised monsters. That subsystem required feeding them with equipment, though, so it was a bit grindy as well. But I definitely think the roglelike mode, where you had random items and had to explore that infinite dungeon deserves a mention.

Bahamut Lagoon: Frickin' dragon raising. Ok, the system wasn't terribly complex or in depth, but the fact that you could feed items to your flock of dragons and each one had like a dozen different forms it could change into as you gave it whatever elemental affinities and stat modifiers you wanted was fucking awesome. I mean look at these fuckers: http://www.fantasyanime.com/squaresoft/bahamut_sprites.htm

Thanks, I will try to check it out later! I think I saw this game for sale in Akihabara for something like $5!

Azure Dreams: While this kind of halfassed a lot of roguelike elements for the sake of a console audience, and was married to a dating sim, the core mechanic of the game; wandering through the dungeon with two leashed monsters under your indirect control mowing down your enemies, was fucking awesome. And you got to find eggs in the dungeon and hatch them so you could use the monsters that were just kicking your ass. But it was handled much better than pokemon, with the eggs being quite rare so you actually had to make the most of what you had rather than just pick the most broken thing in the whole game to steamroll shit with. If I ever learn to program I'm going to try writing a roguelike that uses this mechanic of having a pair of raised monsters fighting for you.

The many upgrades you could make to the town were a pretty cool feature too!

Breath of Fire 3: Dragon gene system. Basically the main character can turn into a dragon temporarily during battles for a cost of MP. When you do this, you select up to 3 of the 'genes' you have found so far in the game (Examples being Fire, Ice, Defender, Thorn, Reverse, some more hidden than others) each of which has an AP cost associated with it. You add up all the costs, pay that cost (and 1/3 or 1/2 the cost again for each round you stay in dragon form) and turn into a dragon of a type determined by the combination. Every combination produces SOMETHING, but particular combinations are more effective. For example, combining Ice + Defender will give you an adult dragon form with high defensive stats, including iirc absorbing cold damage. Throw in the Reverse gene, and you get a fire version with offensive stats. Ice all by itself gives you a puny whelp dragon with weak ice attacks and only minor stat increases over human form, but it's very cheap. Another combination can give you a massive land blob dragon with a 1000% hp modifier and hefty attacks, which is so large it replaces the entire party at once. Cool stuff.

Breath of Fire 5: Again, fucking awesome dragon system. This time, you have a meter, rating from 0 to 100%, which activates early on in the game. The meter gradually grows over time no matter what, but just walking around is an incredibly small increase (like 00.01% every 7 steps or so?). Using your special dash power, which lets you blow past enemies without encountering them, burns it up a lot faster, maybe ~00.2% per second? Actual combat burns up 00.1% per turn. And of course, actually using your dragon power in combat raises it as well. Transforming costs a full 1%, every round spent like that takes 1%, and actual attacks takes 2-4% (Though the stronger attacks can one or two shot most enemies in the game, including bosses.) And you get a breath weapon, which burns through the meter exceptionally fast, but does exponentially more damage the more you spend. ~20% is enough to overkill anything in the game probably. 95% puts out numbers that are orders of magnitude greater than anything you'll otherwise see. And the kicker: when the meter reaches 100% you die. Not 'oh, better get out the phoenix down' die, game over die. And the meter can't be lowered. Ever. So if you use it as a crutch to get through boss battles early on, you might get to the end of the game without enough to spare for when you really need it. Or worse yet, you might actually find it literally impossible to beat the game on that playthrough because just normal walking and fighting will inch the meter up to 100% before you can win. The game also has a whole newgame + and weird save system thing too, but I just love it for the dragon system. The feeling of burning up a permanent, irreplaceable resource to utterly destroy an enemy you despise in a fit of rage is fantastic. On top of that, the dragon form is so overwhelmingly strong you are essentially a demigod, a degree of power truly fitting the story of the series and the mythology of dragons in general. DnD dragons may be able to flatten buildings and sleep through a hail of arrows, but this fucker is literally top of the food chain, rip-a-battleship-in-half tier invincible.

Thanks! I stayed away from the Breath of Fire games for some reason, though I don't remember why anymore. I think I remember them being a bit grindy. Will try to chech those out.

It's telling that Kawazu worked on 4 of the games (5 if you count Final Fantasies!) in your top ten. I'll add something more meaningful soon!

Thanks! I actually know nothing about the people who worked on these games, so it is nice to have a name I can search and look out for.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Off the top of my head I'd like to add one entry to the list.

Labyrinth of Touhou. Yeah yeah, a Touhou-themed doujin blobber RPG (don't google Touhou-related images if you know what's best for your sanity). But still one of the best dungeon crawlers I've played, thanks mainly to the unique and innovative combat system. The tactical aspect of the game is built around various ways to assemble and command a team of 12 (!) characters - considerably more than in a standard RPG party - each with her own strengths, weaknesses, possible character development routes (depending on your play style), and a set of unique skills. There are about 40 (I think? too lazy to check) characters in total, from which you can choose 12 to venture inside the dungeon. The combat is turn- and ATB gauge-based. In each encounter, you have 4 active characters and 8 in reserve, and the exciting part is that you get to swap active and reserve characters right in the middle of combat. Some characters are faster, some slower, and different enemies have different speed as well, so timing becomes extremely important. If you fail to swap characters efficiently and build an efficient combat strategy, you will get wiped out, guaranteed - in the venerable tradition started by Wizardry, a lot of enemies are incredibly powerful and can kill your spellcasters in a single attack. Basically, you don't just manage character builds, you manage the timing of an encounter. Overall it makes for probably the most exciting combat system I've seen in a blobber.

(On that note, I wish more developers would innovate on the blobber formula. :( There's so much potential there.)

The game's presentation is also fairly unique. You navigate an isometric multi-level dungeon, represented in a very abstract way as a network of corridors with special symbols for "events", and fight in random as well as hand-placed encounters. The character development is similar to western RPGs in that you get points to distribute among various stats, resistances and affinities at a level-up. Another interesting mechanic is a character's TP (time points), representing the amount of time she can spend inside the dungeon before collapsing from exhaustion.

The only thing that may bring it down a bit is the high random encounter rate, but I think it isn't *that* high, really, about on par with Wizardry games. Another unfortunate thing is that some of the later patches have introduced a bug that makes the Evasion stat (responsible for dodging attacks) completely useless, which invalidates some of the character builds. I hope that gets fixed some day.

It's pretty incredible what a one-man (!) Japanese indie company did with this game, really.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Crooked Bee

Thanks! I will check that out! By the way, what does "Touhou" mean anyway?

"Touhou" means "East" in Japanese iirc. It was originally a series of indie bullet-hell games with an all-female cast. Then it got really famous and got a reeeally huge fanbase and various spin-offs (strategy games, RPGs, visual novels, etc.) started to appear based on the Touhou "lore". The lore is so batshit insane, though (in a very Japanese way), that playing a Touhou game means temporarily losing a couple of sanity points.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Oh I think those SAN points are permanently lost.

Worth it though, great game. Good TB combat is a rarity, too often it's easy or simplified, or has a terribly clunky interface.

Alex

Arcane
Speaking of Sanity points, if anyone knows good tabletop rpgs in japanese, feel free to mention them too. I already got something called Blade of Arcana here, where each character skill is associated with a major arcana from the tarot. I probably won't translate it anytime soon, but still it is nice to have, and I guess getting the basics of the rules shouldn't take that long. I am also after something called ryuu tama, which is aparently a game that focuses on characters cooperating to overcome obstacles in journeys, rather than combat.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Shadow Hearts with the wheel system, maybe? Depending on how good you are at timing, you hit 'critical areas' and do bonus damage or receive bonus benefits. It also uses sanity points.

Or Vagrant Story with the timed attacks and Risk system.

Krraloth

Prophet
Patron
Wasteland 2
The Grandia series has a very interesting combat mechanic where your characters move about in the battlefield and depending what action you choose to do can cancel enemy attack, protect a comrade or just evade a blow to the face.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Speaking of Sanity points, if anyone knows good tabletop rpgs in japanese, feel free to mention them too. I already got something called Blade of Arcana here, where each character skill is associated with a major arcana from the tarot. I probably won't translate it anytime soon, but still it is nice to have, and I guess getting the basics of the rules shouldn't take that long. I am also after something called ryuu tama, which is aparently a game that focuses on characters cooperating to overcome obstacles in journeys, rather than combat.

Not exactly featuring Sanity points, but Sword World RPG is apparently one of the big ones over there, although it's basically your typical fantasy with various anthropomorphized animals as races or something. I should probably get around to actually reading the English translation before commenting.

dufC21f.jpg

Alex

Arcane

Not exactly featuring Sanity points, but Sword World RPG is apparently one of the big ones over there, although it's basically your typical fantasy with various anthropomorphized animals as races or something. I should probably get around to actually reading the English translation before commenting.

dufC21f.jpg

Thanks!

I actually got the first book of this one already when I went to the Yellow Submarine in Akihabara. The game seems interesting, although my superficial look-see over the spells was a bit disappointing, in that most of them seem like standard JRPG fare (I was kinda hoping for something like old D&D magic meets japanese madness). Still it is interesting to note the book has a few very old school looking items, including a 10 ft pole and 50 ft of rope (at least if I am reading this right).

Horus

Arcane
Istanbul-Constantinople-Byzantium-Piece of land.
Dark Cloud series had interesting system which you rebuild your destroyed hometown by finding items in dungeon.Combat system was fairly standard(I always found it similiar to zelda).You couldn't gain level yourself but you could only improve your gear as you kill monsters.This made the building town aspect more important and fairly fun.

I remember playing it for 3-4 hours so i did not played it to further levels so it might get boring after a while.

Whisky

The Solution
Dark Cloud 2 improved the battle system by making it faster and with a slightly larger variety of moves.

Both games have you wandering around restoring towns. Dark Cloud 1 had little customization of towns, due to all buildings being pre-determined (IE: Toan's House) while Dark Cloud 2 makes use of generic houses that you assign people to. Don't expect Sim City, but the town builder is fairly amusing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom