Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Jurassic World: Evolution

GrainWetski

Arcane
Jurassic World Evolution releases next week and according to its developers, it will not support mods. Although Frontier Developments’ previous game, Planet Coaster, did support mods, this new Jurassic World game will not due to licensing and quality reasons.

As Frontier told Gamestar, Universal Studios has the rights of the game and they must follow its guidance. Moreover, it would have been very difficult for individual mods to achieve the level of detail and visual quality that both Frontier and Universal Studios wanted.
Muh level of detail and visual quality.

The actual reason
Playstation 4, Xbox One
+ the billion DinoLC packs they'll no doubt sell for way too much.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Projeects like this is prone to one disease. They replace management with useless visual stuff. Take Planet Coaster and other coasters. Economic part is negligable but huge amount of work have been put into allowing players to ride their coasters, because their target audience have bioware-level IQ or mentally challenged.
Managing funds, personnel and other important parts here could be replaced with "here, shoot at some dinos" or "take a ride on your park, we have discounts for autistic children"

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I like riding my coasters in Planet Coaster... :negative: In contrast to real life, it doesn't make me throw up :lol:

I get your point, though, the focus of these games is usually either visuals or economics.
And obviously, visuals sell better.

Still, you can IMO have enough fun with those games to justify a (not too expensive) purchase and play for a while.
And at least in Planet Coaster, the economics are present and you can definitely fuck up if you just build stuff aimlessly and don't manage.

Last edited:

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
They could use all that fan calculations after Jurassic World movie, that the park won't be profitable because dinosaurs will, literally, eat all the profit as they required way too much food. Thus add franchize industry, toys, postcards, photos, etc. etc. etc. balance food with profits, manage medical treatments.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Projeects like this is prone to one disease. They replace management with useless visual stuff. Take Planet Coaster and other coasters. Economic part is negligable but huge amount of work have been put into allowing players to ride their coasters, because their target audience have bioware-level IQ or mentally challenged.
Managing funds, personnel and other important parts here could be replaced with "here, shoot at some dinos" or "take a ride on your park, we have discounts for autistic children"

Wow dickhead some people prefer the creative side of builders over the management bs. If u want to autistically manage 100000 dumb little things go get a job or play crusader kings or some shit

What other game lets you do this?

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Wow dickhead some people prefer the creative side of builders over the management bs
Some other people
raf,750x1000,075,t,fafafa:ca443f4786.u1.jpg

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
It’s out. Been looking at some gameplay and the building space seems way too small.. People are holding some huge ass branchiosaurus and t-rex in a cage the size of a tiger den at an underfunded zoo.

Was expecting to be able to build like, an actual park but that doesn’t seem to be the case

BrotherFrank

Nouveau Riche
Patron
It's out! Let's go through the steam reviews...
They fucked it up. Space Satan was right on the ball it seems, because the management side is underwhelming.

Remember how in operation genesis you had different visitors with different tastes? How you built tons of amenities because it was a friggin theme park?
Well none of that for you here sucker.

Dinosaur management also heavily dumbed down but hey...them graphics right? :D

Was about to throw a heavily sarcastic line about how you can at least shoot things in the helicopter but actually..that was in operation genesis too.

Not that any of this is stopping the game from selling well and having a majority of overwhelmingly positive reviews, because omg you COLOR the dinosaurs :D (yes apparently this is all you need to make some people lose their shit).

The only redeeming factor as far as im concerned is dinosaurs stomping around eating screaming people, but even then i doubt they have more then a few animations for that so that would lose its shine quickly too.

Plisken

Learned
So I was one of the "suckers" who pre-purchased this because I was hoping for an improved version of its very obvious spiritual predecessor, Operation Genesis.....

Its nowhere near as bad as the few hysterical nerds running amok on steam reviews are making it to be, but its certainly not as good as OG either, which is the really disappointing thing. All we fans wanted was OG with modern graphics, thats it. It really doesnt seem like that great an ask considering OG's budget was miniscule in comparison to this juggernaut, where most of the dev costs seem to have gone into the admittedly excellent visuals and sound design.

as to the why its not as good, I could go into laborious detail but its sufficient to say this is shallower and dumber compared to OG. Theres less creativity, less personality and the dinosaur behavior is not as complex (or interesting).

Its still fun enough, and theres enough challenges (and sometimes the game is really challenging, usually due to, *insert nasal jew soundbite about chaos theory*, some chaotic unexpected turn of events) to provide some solid entertainment, but it just falls short of its predecessor. And you know what, thats fitting given that Jurassic World the movies are also decent, but fail to meet the quality of its "park" predecessors. My advice would be to wait for a sale, unless you're a big JP fan.

The game could turn into something special if modding ever takes hold. Universal hates devs giving people modding tools, so I say it will be a long while on that front, but when theres enough will theres usually a way. We'll see.

Last edited:

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It is probably way more likely that someone develops a well-done overhaul mod for Parkitect than great mods coming for this one.
Great mods appear only if the modding tools are good (see Skyrim, F:NV, etc.) or if the game has some depth to begin with (TW:Warhammer).

Or of course, if someone completely bonkers wastes his entire life on modding a game for decades...

BrotherFrank

Nouveau Riche
Patron
The game could turn into something special if modding ever takes hold. Universal hates devs giving people modding tools, so I say it will be a long while on that front, but when theres enough will theres usually a way. We'll see.

https://www.dsogaming.com/news/jura...rt-mods-due-to-licensing-and-quality-reasons/

I wouldn't be counting on a healthy mod community developping, they were doing all in their power to make the life of prospective modders as difficult as possible.

Edit: Just to put the final nail in the coffin:
https://www.pcgamer.com/frontier-understands-demand-for-jurassic-world-evolution-mods-but-theres-a-balance/

Last edited:

Drakron

Arcane
Its nowhere near as bad as the few hysterical nerds running amok on steam reviews are making it to be, but its certainly not as good as OG either, which is the really disappointing thing.

Well the problem are of basic design, for example there is no pause and shit keeps happening so you end up reacting instead of learning how things works. Also putting unlocks under 5 Stars ratings is fucked and I dont mean cosmetic stuff like skins since thats fine, I mean gameplay stuff like having a second dig team.

I say this because due to having to constant reacting to shit happening I was just dropping restaurants and shops to try to get the rating up but the way it works is from location, having then close to viewing platforms is what makes then work but that brings another issue, that maps are very restricted so you can building a viewing platform way at the back close of the enclosure to the end of the map but then you cannot build anything there, since there is no pause there is no way to look at the map and plan, in fact you cannot even plan a enclosure properly since a bunch of stuff is happening. There is not even pause when on the menu were you take on contracts, look at the financial state, send expeditions ... things keep happening and taking your attention of things that a real issue as I cannot just stop and think.

Another really shitty thing is fences, dont try to build a Raptors only enclosure because no matter what, those fuckers will just break it and escape thats fucking dumb ... steel non-electrified ones? sure thats the basic and I can see dinos when stressed enough escaping, Raptors should not escape the ones that are bigger as they were designed to contained larger dinos so smaller ones should simply not be able to break then, so how do you handle then?

You put Ceratosaurus and Raptors on the same enclosure, they will make the Raptors behave.

Now the problem with that is Ceratossaurus so far tended to attack anything you put with then so you would assume the Raptors would also be killed but it seems Ceratossaurus dont attack smaller carnivorous dino, the Raptors will attack smaller ones but with the bigger Ceratossaurus they just run away, this then makes then stop trying to escape but this should been explained, also it doesnt explain as far Raptors are concerned no matter what fence it is, its made of paper.

Other issues is making to manage everything, feeder is empty? have to manually assign a Ranger team to refill in that is just tedious. Also when you get a warning sign clicking on it does not send the camera to that location ... no, it just opens the map, Storms have no "open the shelters" button and you have to find a shelter and then click on the open, this is minor but since no pause you have to remember were you build them. Another stupid annoying thing is at one point there is a sabotage and you have to reboot a power station ... but the game never told you how since you cannot order Rangers to do it if their station is damaged/sabotaged/with no power so you have to go to the station, drive the car to the sabotaged power station and clock on the left mouse button ... this is annoying pointless busywork, its like game designers now think the way to make completing gameplay is making it obtuse, its not evenharder, just irritating and annoying .

Also doesnt explain WHY I cannot build things outside generic messages, considering the maps arent very big you end you just making things all over the place without any kind of plan, you start placing things not because they look good or make sense to be there (like shops near the entrance) but because its were you can fit then, since making enclosures is done in real time without pause this can became a pain in the ass as you try to make things were you can after the fact since you cannot pause and correct parts of the enclosure, another annoying thing is, trying to upgrade a fence and a dinosaur is someone close to it? no can do boss ... also no replacing the entire enclosure fence, it have to be by segments.

Its "not nearly as bad" but still pretty fucking bad due to poorly made decisions, making a non-pause management sim is fucking stupid not because "I can pause and queue commands so its easy" but also because it makes players to became too reactive, I cannot even plan expeditions and research without something forcing me to leave that menu and react, plus at times you want to speed things because nothing is happening but you cannot do anything.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Also doesnt explain WHY I cannot build things outside generic messages, considering the maps arent very big you end you just making things all over the place without any kind of plan, you start placing things not because they look good or make sense to be there (like shops near the entrance) but because its were you can fit then, since making enclosures is done in real time without pause this can became a pain in the ass as you try to make things were you can after the fact since you cannot pause and correct parts of the enclosure, another annoying thing is, trying to upgrade a fence and a dinosaur is someone close to it? no can do boss ... also no replacing the entire enclosure fence, it have to be by segments.

This is insane to me, considering frontier developed PC which is one of the most free form/open building games ever made. I think a lot of people who pre-ordered this were expecting massive customization options and way larger areas to build in.. I've watched a few gameplay videos though and what I see is like one way to build each tiny island because of how restrictive the construction aspect is. In PC you could build something 50 feet above ground and pillars would just be generated to hold it up, you could build coaster tracks that literally run into the ground then morph the land around them later, you could rotate any building around all 3 axes etc.. but in this game everything must be built on extremely flat, cleared land, all buildings have one generic aesthetic with zero customization.

Devs paid a TON of streamers to shill the game so it sold a bunch tho. I'm having fun watching the steam reviews drop by 1-2% every day as people realize how shallow it is

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom