Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Just Cause 2

Data4

Arcane
Sarcasm is lost on me. Was that a positive "fucking hell" or negative?

I was quite impressed. :monocle:

Annie Mitsoda

Digimancy Entertainment
Developer
Count me in for a very positive "fucking hell." The destruction I plan to wreak... WHEEEE!

themadhatter

Novice
As someone who experienced an almost overwhelming sense of disappointment after having played Just Cause, my expectations are tempered as to how the game will actually perform.
Having said as much...the graphics are incredible! Really, the new engines that are coming out astound me. JC2's Avalanche 2.0, the MT Framework 2.0 being used in Lost Planet 2 (and others), not to count the as yet unseen full-capabilities of the CryEngine 3 and id's Tech 5. Fascinating stuff, really. What's more, it makes for a refreshing change of pace from the constant "next-gen" UE3 games.
Now, if only they would create a decent RPG with one of them. Preferably a sandbox world...

snoek

Cipher
I think it's a great improvement over the first one, which i also own.. it had it's quirks, but back then it was unprecedented in scope and size. Glad to see the money i spent on the title led to something even better.

Suchy

Arcane
These do.
Duh... I so want to play a Deus Ex style, but open world game... And all I can get is a fucking TPP shooter.

Gerrard

Arcane
Suchy said:
Pity to see a good engine wasted on such a dumb game.
Yeah, because everyone knows engines are one time use only. Just leave this business to skyway.

Also.

Luzur

Good Sir
meh, only fun i had with Jsut Cause was using cheats and blowing everything to hell with unlimited grenades.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Looks like Mercenaries 2, which kinda sucked as well.

I'm still waiting for someone to make a free-roaming GTA style game set in present-day Iraq.

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
Data4 said:
Sarcasm is lost on me. Was that a positive "fucking hell" or negative?
A positive one, most certainly. I do believe the game will get old relatively quickly, unless story missions are really, really varied, but I expect to get at least 10 hours of pure, unadulterated entertainment out of JC2. Which is more than games tend to last these days.

Yeah it looks pretty awesome to be honest. As long as it plays well I'm quite happy with a game that has no pretensions at anything more than crazy exploding shit. It works in EDF 2017, it works in Red Faction Guerilla, and I expect it might just work here.

Wild Slop

Arcane
Mr Extreme : The Video Game

soon to be a movie

Mr. Extreme said:
EXTREEEEEEEEME!!

Seriously if there was a button you could press to make that guy shout "Extreme!", it'd seal it up nicely and I'd be a lot more receptive.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Ah yet another boring "open world" next-"entertain-yourself-yourself"-gen shit
When the developers will finally start to make games?

The One True Gamer said:
As long as it plays well I'm quite happy with a game that has no pretensions at anything more than crazy exploding shit. It works in EDF 2017, it works in Red Faction Guerilla, and I expect it might just work here.

Yeah I've noticed that too - for the past 3 years this retarded excuse "well this game doesn't pretend to be anything but a piece of shit without any gameplay but EXPLOSHUNS. Take it for what it is" is used for every shitty action game. I wonder when will we finally hear "wow this game isn't about EXPLOSHUNS it's about the gameplay".

MetalCraze said:
The One True Gamer said:
As long as it plays well I'm quite happy with a game that has no pretensions at anything more than crazy exploding shit. It works in EDF 2017, it works in Red Faction Guerilla, and I expect it might just work here.

Yeah I've noticed that too - for the past 3 years this retarded excuse "well this game doesn't pretend to be anything but a piece of shit without any gameplay but EXPLOSHUNS.

How the fuck did you warp "as long as it plays well" into "I don't care if it's a piece of shit without any gameplay"?

Hory

Erudite
That's pretty much what The One True Gamer is admitting.
Dictionary.com said:
game: a competitive activity involving skill, chance, or endurance on the part of two or more persons who play according to a set of rules, usually for their own amusement or for that of spectators.
Just Cause 2 requires no skill (e.g. standing still in the middle of an enemy base shooting at you and nothing seems to happen) or strategy (everything seems equally destructive and overpowered). And which are the rules? Not even the rules of gravity are respected, it seems that you're playing a more powerful version of spiderman. It doesn't have gameplay because it's not a game, it's a virtual toy in the same vein as the toy cars that a kid, in the role of a god, smacks together imagining "crazy exploding shit".

MetalCraze

Arcane
Admiral jimbob said:
How the fuck did you warp "as long as it plays well" into "I don't care if it's a piece of shit without any gameplay"?

He named EDF2017 and RF3 Guerilla as good examples. Those "games" are exactly those Just Cause/Prototype-likes without any gameplay. And then that "crazy exploding shit" argument. Read the whole thing w/o "selective reading" parameter next time.

Self-Ejected

BlitzKitchen

Self-Ejected
Patron
Codex 2012
I want to like it but I can't. It's the grappling, parachuting, and being a wanna-be superhero-soldier in a tide unrealistic goofiness that turns me off. Which seems to be the whole game.

Silellak

Cipher
Hory said:
That's pretty much what The One True Gamer is admitting.
Dictionary.com said:
game: a competitive activity involving skill, chance, or endurance on the part of two or more persons who play according to a set of rules, usually for their own amusement or for that of spectators.
Just Cause 2 requires no skill (e.g. standing still in the middle of an enemy base shooting at you and nothing seems to happen) or strategy (everything seems equally destructive and overpowered). And which are the rules? Not even the rules of gravity are respected, it seems that you're playing a more powerful version of spiderman. It doesn't have gameplay because it's not a game, it's a virtual toy in the same vein as the toy cars that a kid, in the role of a god, smacks together imagining "crazy exploding shit".

My guess regarding the apparent invulnerability of the player...it was an E3 demo, so they didn't want the demonstrator to accidentally die. I think that's fairly common.

But yeah, the XTREME nature was a bit...overly XTREME, I think. There's stretching the laws of physics, and then there's spitting in their face and shitting on their corpse.

MetalCraze said:
Admiral jimbob said:

He named EDF2017 and RF3 Guerilla as good examples. Those "games" are exactly those Just Cause/Prototype-likes without any gameplay. And then that "crazy exploding shit" argument. Read the whole thing w/o "selective reading" parameter next time.

How the fuck does RF3 not have any gameplay? Have you actually played it, or are you just talking shit, as usual?

It's a fuck of a lot more fun than GTA4 so far, I can tell you that.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Hey man your bad taste is not my problem. The retarded "entertain-yourself-yourself" is the new shit now. I remember you also liked Failout 3 or something so no wonder. It's funny how RF3 even fails at EXPLOSHUNS which is a main selling point of such crap games whereas its predecessors even had destructive ground.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom