Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Just got a controller

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Off the top, Dark Souls and other such games come to mind as games that I can now play without wanting to slam my head through my screen. Anything else that I should play now that I have a controller?

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
Yakuza 0, Street Fighter V, King of Fighters XIV, some of the older Sonic games like SA2 and Sonic Generations. Sonic Mania is good too.

Dedicated_Dark

Arbiter
Devil May Cry 3 & 5
NFS Shift 1, 2 with physics patch.
Grid 1 & 2
Metal Gear Rising Revengeance
Assassins Creed Black Flag
Prince of Persia SOT trilogy
Samurai Warriors 2
Final Fantasy 12
Forza
Dragons Dogma
Dragon Age Inquisition
Tomb Raider Legend, Anniversary, Underworld
Strike Suit Zero
Armored Core
-so on and so forth.

Last edited:

Momock

Augur
Off the top, Dark Souls and other such games come to mind as games that I can now play without wanting to slam my head through my screen. Anything else that I should play now that I have a controller?
Hollow Knight, Ys: Oath in Felghana and Origins, Sekiro, Celeste, Fight'N'Rage, Snake Pass, CrossCode, La-Mulana, Ori, Shantae and the Pirate's Curse, The Momodoras, The Trails of, Bot Vice, Bayonetta, Crimson Clover, Heaven's Vault, Grow Home, Ghost 1.0, Gigantic Army, Tomb Raider Anniversary, Rayman Origins, etc etc....

Also: SNES and GBA emulation.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I prefer to play everything 3D with mouse and keyboard if possible, but there are certain games like Dark Souls and most Assassin's Creeds where the camera control is so awful with a mouse it's almost unplayable. It bums me out and makes me not play those games like I normally would.

I disagree with some listed above though. Dragon Age Inquisition and Tomb Raider especially, those played just fine with KBM in my experience. Only other 3D game I played with a controller apart from Souls and Creed the last handful of years, that I remember, is Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Any third person games where you don't have to aim with a gun.

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
You're not a man until you've beaten all Dark Souls 1 bosses with mouse and keyboard.
rating_prestigious.png

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
You're not a man until you've beaten all Dark Souls 1 bosses with mouse and keyboard.
rating_prestigious.png
Hah. KM + M is for children. Real men beat it with a guitar hero controller.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Rockstar games. Using a controller is really the only way.

No way. I played GTA5 on a friend's PS3 for a week or so and couldn't stand it. Either lock-on aiming, which removes all gameplay and challenge, or terribly analog aim that feels awful and gets you killed. KBM was a million times better when it came to PC. Not perfect, but a million times better.

Anything with shooter combat is better with KBM, period.

Owl

Cipher
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
The problem with GTA games is that driving is much better with the analog stick + analog triggers of the controller, but when you're on foot and shooting stuff, of course kb&m is preferable.
I remember playing GTA 3 with kb&m, and grabbing the controller when I was in a car... It got old real fast :smug:

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Some games are not meant to play with KB + mouse even though they may be supported, like the Halo Master Chief collection for PC. Anyone that plays this with mouse & keyboard is a retard that just wants to shoot fish in a barrel with a blunderbuss and will find themselves having way too easy of a time with it. It was designed for the slow cumbersome controller style for a more balanced challenge. Something like a fast FPS a la Doom I/II & its many wads and mods are best played with KB + mouse and only a fool would play them with a controller. I remember playing a very faithful pwad based on the PSX version of Doom. Since the game was designed for a clunky controller, when I attempted to play it with mouse & KB, it was so pathetically easy even on Nightmare I just gave up

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
rating_prestigious.png
Hah. KM + M is for children. Real men beat it with a guitar hero controller.

Pfft. Amateur.

WAkVjWQ.png

Twitch video demonstrating the above setup in action.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
The problem with GTA games is that driving is much better with the analog stick + analog triggers of the controller, but when you're on foot and shooting stuff, of course kb&m is preferable.
I remember playing GTA 3 with kb&m, and grabbing the controller when I was in a car... It got old real fast :smug:

I've been driving with WASD in games so long, it really doesn't bother me at all. It's way more natural than shooting with a mouse or using lock-on aiming.

Some games are not meant to play with KB + mouse even though they may be supported, like the Halo Master Chief collection for PC. Anyone that plays this with mouse & keyboard is a retard that just wants to shoot fish in a barrel with a blunderbuss and will find themselves having way too easy of a time with it. It was designed for the slow cumbersome controller style for a more balanced challenge. Something like a fast FPS a la Doom I/II & its many wads and mods are best played with KB + mouse and only a fool would play them with a controller. I remember playing a very faithful pwad based on the PSX version of Doom. Since the game was designed for a clunky controller, when I attempted to play it with mouse & KB, it was so pathetically easy even on Nightmare I just gave up

Console shooters using an analog stick are also designed around at least some auto-aim or aim-assist. Take that out when using a mouse, which 99% do, and it's not as "automatically easier" as you might think. To continue discussing GTA5, since it was designed around literally automatically targeting the enemies, using free aim... even with a mouse... can make some missions pretty challenging. I just played Halo Reach on hard mode when it came out and it offered a nice challenge too. It does depend on the game, but mouse aim is so much better it's worth the occasional balance issue.

As a 25 year long PC only gamer though, I can't imagine using anything else either way.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom