Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Just got a controller

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
im talking about dark souls with dsfix and dsmousefix
I remember the mouse controls being pretty floaty even with those, although I guess some improvements could've been made since then.

I've been driving with WASD in games so long, it really doesn't bother me at all. It's way more natural than shooting with a mouse or using lock-on aiming.
It depends on the game. WASD is more than adequate in something like GTA, but if you're playing an actual racing game, you'll want some level of analog control for turning and accelerating. Then again, if it's a really good racing game, you'll probably be better off by going straight for a steering wheel and pedals, rather than settling for half-measures.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
The problem with GTA games is that driving is much better with the analog stick + analog triggers of the controller, but when you're on foot and shooting stuff, of course kb&m is preferable.
I remember playing GTA 3 with kb&m, and grabbing the controller when I was in a car... It got old real fast :smug:

I've been driving with WASD in games so long, it really doesn't bother me at all. It's way more natural than shooting with a mouse or using lock-on aiming.

Some games are not meant to play with KB + mouse even though they may be supported, like the Halo Master Chief collection for PC. Anyone that plays this with mouse & keyboard is a retard that just wants to shoot fish in a barrel with a blunderbuss and will find themselves having way too easy of a time with it. It was designed for the slow cumbersome controller style for a more balanced challenge. Something like a fast FPS a la Doom I/II & its many wads and mods are best played with KB + mouse and only a fool would play them with a controller. I remember playing a very faithful pwad based on the PSX version of Doom. Since the game was designed for a clunky controller, when I attempted to play it with mouse & KB, it was so pathetically easy even on Nightmare I just gave up

As a 25 year long PC only gamer though, I can't imagine using anything else either way.

Since I play almost exclusively from a couch on a Vizio 43" 1080p television display these days, i almost never use a dedicated KB + mouse setup anymore. I either use a controller (DS4 with DS4Windows is my overwhelming preference here) or a hybrid scheme of all three where I map WASD and other important keys to the controller and move with it in my left hand, while I use a mouse for aiming/mouselook with my right, and some KB keys re-mapped to certain less used functions. It's an odd setup but works for me... most of the time. I even play Doom PWADS with this scheme. My KB is just an illuminated logitech wireless bluetooth. My Corsair RGB mechanical KB sits in storage.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Anything else that I should play now that I have a controller?

Mostly action games - figthers, hack 'n' slashes, platformers, beat 'em ups, arcady racing games, etc...
It's what controller excel at, games with few and simple inputs but more demanding execution.
Here's some very good ones:

-F-Zero GX
-Hollow Knight
-Super Metroid + Metroid Prime
-Resident Evil 4
-REmake
-Bayonetta
-Ninja Gaiden Sigma
-Nioh
-Tekken 5 or 7
-Soul Calibur 2
-Street Figther Alpha 3
-DKC: Tropical Freeze
-BotW
-DMC HD Collection

If you to try DMC5 I recommend using kb+m.
Now if you want to grind you controller to dust I suggest playing God Hand

Growing up is lame, nothing is fun anymore...

Variety is the spice of life.
Try other types of games. Since you mostly played PC games those above will prove a nice change of pace.
Or simply quit gaming for a few months and go do something else.
If that still doesn't do it for you then it's a symptom of a far worse problem...

Beastro

Arcane
I played a couple different games yesterday for like an hour and a half and I'm already bored. Growing up is lame, nothing is fun anymore...
:despair:

25449.jpg

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Don't worry, you'll be back playing the games once you remember you are a lonely basement dweller virgin and you got nothing better to do.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I played a couple different games yesterday for like an hour and a half and I'm already bored. Growing up is lame, nothing is fun anymore...

25449.jpg

I have a slightly similar problem that the SpaceGameJunkie autist Brian Rubin calls "choice paralysis." It's when you have so many unplayed games in your backlog or library that you can't pick one, so you end up playing none. It's a quite painful syndrome. I wish there was a cure

Syme

Arbiter

25449.jpg

I have a slightly similar problem that the SpaceGameJunkie autist Brian Rubin calls "choice paralysis." It's when you have so many unplayed games in your backlog or library that you can't pick one, so you end up playing none. It's a quite painful syndrome. I wish there was a cure

Let fate decide. Assign them numbers on a die and roll.

25449.jpg

There is, just stop playing games altogether.

PrettyDeadman

Devil May Cry 3 & 5
NFS Shift 1, 2 with physics patch.
Grid 1 & 2
Metal Gear Rising Revengeance
Assassins Creed Black Flag
Prince of Persia SOT trilogy
Samurai Warriors 4-2
Final Fantasy 12
Forza
Dragons Dogma
Dragon Age Inquisition
Tomb Raider Legend, Anniversary, Underworld
Strike Suit Zero
Armored Core
-so on and so forth.
Dragons Dogma is better with m&k

Jack Of Owls

Arcane

25449.jpg

Let fate decide. Assign them numbers on a die and roll.

Good idea, but I'm one of them there fancyboys so I'll use the I Ching instead of die and whatever game title sounds most descriptive of the proverb or paragraph I hit will be the one.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane

25449.jpg

There is, just stop playing games altogether.

How dare you. Virtual worlds are all that I have left now. I just can't... stop!

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
It depends on the game. WASD is more than adequate in something like GTA, but if you're playing an actual racing game, you'll want some level of analog control for turning and accelerating. Then again, if it's a really good racing game, you'll probably be better off by going straight for a steering wheel and pedals, rather than settling for half-measures.

Sure, if I was gonna play Need for Speed or whatever I'd plug my controller in. I don't really play those types of games that often though. I just meant vehicle sections in games like GTA, Mafia, Halo, etc.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Don't worry, you'll be back playing the games once you remember you are a lonely basement dweller virgin and you got nothing better to do.
You're trying too hard.

Also, aren't you like in your mid thirties? I surf the forum in my spare time when I'm not going to school, working out, chilling with friends, or doing my weekend job for spending money. You on the other hand, actually have obligations, and still manage to have over 40,000 posts, many of which are long paragraphs and diatribes. Those that live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

Curratum

Bruh, Street Fighter, King of Fighters, go nuts!

Really the only games that are unplayable without a controller. I played all Dark Souls games on mouse and kbd and loved it, fighting games though, can't do two consecutive fireballs without it.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
The gameplay and general inputs of games like Dark Souls are fine with KBM. I'd never play Witcher 2 with a gamepad, for example. What made me play Dark Souls with a controller is the camera feeling like shit with a mouse. Same for Assassin's Creed 2+ (I remember 1 being better).

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Give Mirror's Edge a go

I wouldn't agree with this. It has some shooting sections, it's in first-person and it has several sections that require fast 180 turns and whatnot. The controller uses a "180 turn button" which is silly. Great KBM game.
Fully agree here. Mirror's Edge is great with KBM, because it needs rapid direction changes.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom