Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Just Replayed Mass Effect For the First Time in a While

Yosharian

Arcane
How will they move forward with Mass Effect 5?
gp5pSYY.jpg

Arrowgrab

Arbiter
Hey, since this thread is pretty lively right now, let me ask a semi-relevant question:

If I've never played any of the Mass Effect games and want to do so sometime in the foreseeable future, are there any additional must-have downloads? Things like unofficial patches, bug fixes, cut content restoration, something to fix the scandalous multiplayer-gated ending of the third one?

Mass Effect was a good game. Bonafide RPG? Not quite. Action adventure with major RPG elements? For sure. Regardless, the game is enjoyable. Codex commissars like to virtue signal by shitting on good games if their RPG virtue is in the slightest question. Don't let your gaming experience be ruled by that level of discourse.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Mass Effect was a good game. Bonafide RPG? Not quite. Action adventure with major RPG elements? For sure. Regardless, the game is enjoyable. Codex commissars like to virtue signal by shitting on good games if their RPG virtue is in the slightest question. Don't let your gaming experience be ruled by that level of discourse.
So now people who like rpgs are suddenly virtue signalling? At RPGCodex?

Let's face it: ME is an okayish game, but a bad RPG, and here it ought to be judged based only on its merits with respect to the crpg standards.

Falksi

Arcane
I played it not too long back and agree. It's fucking rough around the edges and never been an RPG, but as an action game with RPG elements it's just really atmospheric, really well paced, and really good fun.

It actually sets up some potentially great games, but fuckerty dillawacker if they failed to deliver. ME2 only just managed to tread water, barely, and ME3 sank like a stone.

Codex Year of the Donut
ME2 only just managed to tread water, barely, and ME3 sank like a stone.
Really don't understand this opinion.
1>3>2
2 has the worst parts of 1 and 3 smashed together with a bunch of really shitty minigames. At least 3 was a good popamole shooter with good AI on the hardest difficulty.
3 had some really interesting parts(mostly involving DLC) e.g., Leviathan mission, Javik in general, etc.,

sullynathan

Arcane
Mass Effect and The Witcher share near exact same similarities yet over the years the codex has liked The Witcher more and liked Mass Effect less.

If you didn't look at the top 70 (100 now), you'd think that the ones who make decisions representing the consensus of the forum don't even post on the forum.

Codex Year of the Donut
Mass Effect and The Witcher share near exact same similarities yet over the years the codex has liked The Witcher more and liked Mass Effect less.

If you didn't look at the top 70 (100 now), you'd think that the ones who make decisions representing the consensus of the forum don't even post on the forum.
Dislike for bioware and fetishization of CDPR

Quillon

Arcane

Gunplay was alright even when using the early weapons. But the majority of players were too dumb to read hints like shooting Assault Rifles in bursts while crouching or in cover.
And tech and biotic powers where actually powerfull and could shut down whole enemy groups.

Its not about what they can do, rather how it feels. ME1 has stiff gunplay, ME2 & 3's are much improved.

Neanderthal

Arcane
Only thing I can remember about ME was stupid choice wi Rachni queen: Do you kill or release it? How about I just leave it where it is and tell council?

Oh no you can't do something sensible and obvious.

Nihiliste

Arcane
Patron
I could never get through this game because there were some incredibly slow paced sections very early in the game. I was able to get through DA:O with mods.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
Its not about what they can do, rather how it feels. ME1 has stiff gunplay, ME2 & 3's are much improved.
Dunno about ME3, but I'll take ME1 over ME2 any given day. Neither was good, but ME1 was more suited for running 'n gunning and felt more like its own thing. The sequel was just another industry standard cover shooter, at least unless you played Vanguard (which I did not). I have fonder memories of Mako combat.

Ammo and reloading were notable improvements, though, despite not making any sense in a setting where unlimited ammo used to be a thing. I guess the guns also felt better and more distinct from each other, which is another plus.

mass effect was an interesting experiment, something which it should have been built upon. it never happened.
every time i feel like playing it again all i do is think of the loadings and the inventory. holy fucking fuck the inventory, managing hundreds of trash items. hell no. i don't want to experience that anymore.

thesecret1

Arcane
It's really sad that all the cool shit from ME got thrown out in the sequels. ME had a lot going on with the whole human supremacy vs. alien homosex conflict, with both choices and lots of various chatter refferencing this, culminating of course in being able to let the council die and have humanity assume galactic hegemony. Then ME2 came along and it all got thrown out the window in favour of muh reapers did everything.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom