Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Kalypso bring back the Disciples franchise with Disciples: Liberation, a dark fantasy strategy RPG

The Red Knight

Erudite
Found a leaked closeup of the werewolf model:
e8Cp2uK.jpg

JAD8qa1.jpg

Zeriel

Arcane
Does anyone care? It's just using a brand name to sell more generic 3D shit. It doesn't even look like Disciples.

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
I enjoyed the second one, but not sure the mechanics were all that great tbh. Don't remember much about the first at all.
Number 3 followed the time-honored tradition of 3rd titles in a series being fucking shit.

The stupid trailer for the fourth one does not inspire any confidence... Quite the opposite. Let the dead rest, Kalypso.
what tradition
HoMM3 invalidates your claim so hard it retroactively makes all of your opinions wrong
Alien 3, Terminator 3, Fallout 3, BG 3 (or dark alliance, I guess) etc, etc. Great series' ruined by the third title is a common and oft-observed thing... Didn't say it happened to literally all series.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
I am not a native English speaker but at least I know that the title should've been " Kalipso brings back [...]"

If it's not a typo, I hope you hire people that know basic English.
We are a prestigious site after all...

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Sword is modeled after She-ra's Sword of Power. As to Terminator 3... some of us thought T2 was too far of a deviation from T1. No killing by PC terminator, but the rest of the action was great. Gotta remember T1 was dystopian apoc horror future scenario. T2 was focused on action more than horror. After... the series went to crap and only useful for maybe making games which usually failed but that should be saved for the Terminator franchise thread (maybe with robocop crossovers).

GloomFrost

Arcane
Can anyone recommend any fantasy Novels with the same Disciples vibe, dark, moody, depressing, atmosphere? Also yeah not sure which will suck worse this or KB2.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Mind you, its been ages since I played Sacred Lands, so I cant say much about its AI, but I played D2 a few weeks ago and while the AI isnt stellar, it does use both damage spells and debuffs against your party. I have to replay D1 at some point to see the difference.
There is big difference between "will use damage spells and debuffs" and "if you end your turn not in town you will be raped"

Israfael

Arcane
What a disgrace, I shudder with rage and resignation

Mortissss whispersss to us... burn... burn them all to ashes...

GreyViper

Prophet
While playing Total Warhammer 2 I had thoughts it could work as a total conversion mod, since leaving empire aside other factions had a somewhat interesting unit rooster. Specially dwarfs, with their elders turning into giants or the wolf summoning dwarf hermit.
But overall it was the art that really made the first two games work, the story not being quite the same and tried trope was still a bit meh.
I do agree the Rise of Elves was one of the better-done expansions and a good storyline. For some reason, the dwarf Ragnarock felt a bit anti-climatic, considering you prevailed against all the odds in a pyrrhic victory and it didn't lead anywhere.
Demons had that interesting twist with Uther but again when it was done, you didn't really have anything else.

Archibald

Arcane
Seeing these garbage screenshots makes me wonder why there are so few attempts at indie HoMM/AoW/Disciples-likes. All games with cult status and massive followings, you'd think some people would KS something like that in glorious 2d art. Eador is the only one I can think of, really. I know there are a couple of others but they are also all in this butt-ugly modern 3d that reminds me more of Civilization 5 than anything else. Well, and there is crap like in OP. Why is it so hard to make a game that has a little of the charme of old HoMM or AoW

I think that for Disciples you need to have really strong art direction and even then, you'll be compared against first two games and likely look worse. To me proper Disciples spiritual sequel would have its own unique art direction, while sharing some overall gameplay mechanics.

As for HoMM and AoW, I think the issue is that there are like 10 official games between both franchises and modding communities are active in both of them. So its not like hardcore fans of those franchises are hurting for content. If you won't roll out with 15 unique towns on launch date then who cares?

Israfael

Arcane
The other important part of Disciples atmosphere, in my opinion, was its grimdark mythology reminiscent of Egyptican myths and other ancient religious stories. The whole story of relations between Solonielle, Wotan and Gallean is just something that would probably not fly in the current environment, espeically if the game would be PG-13 rated.

Archibald

Arcane
They'd probably turn Gallean into trany.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom