Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Kathy Rain - Director's Cut

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
One of the coolest moment I ever had in gaming is from Kathy Rain.

It's when you have to put together that soundclip when suddenly something really spooky happens (you that have played know what I mean). Magical moment that got the hair on my neck stand in salute.

WallaceChambers

Learned
Kathy Rain Director's Cut FAQ, the publisher hints at the potential for a sequel.

F.A.Q. - Frequently Asked Questions
Q: When is Director’s Cut releasing?
A: The Conwell Springs travel bureau has assured us that they will be accepting visitors later this year. An exact date will be announced soon!

Q: What’s new in the Director’s Cut?
A: There’s plenty of new exciting content and features!

• Extended storyline with a prolonged ending, hundreds of lines of additional dialogue, and multiple new areas to explore.
  • Added several new major puzzle chains along with many small additions and tweaks of existing puzzles.
  • Enlarged all game environments to fill up the entire screen in widescreen resolutions without any black bars on the sides.
  • Made countless visual improvements, such as more character animations, better lighting/shadows and extra weather effects.
  • Streamlined the mouse controls with an intuitive single click interface.
  • Controller support done right. Lean back in your chair and take smooth direct control of Kathy, with no messy cursor getting in the way.
  • Expanded and remixed soundtrack by the original composer, Daniel Kobylarz.
  • Five brand new motorcycle designs to unlock and customize the Katmobile with.

Q: Which platforms will Director’s Cut be available for?
A: Windows, Mac and Linux are our confirmed platforms at this time. We are also actively looking at bringing Kathy Rain to new platforms. More on that soon!

Q: Do you have plans for future Kathy Rain games?
A: Director's Cut is a huge undertaking which involves painstakingly recreating the experience of Kathy Rain from the ground up in a new, more flexible and powerful game engine. This opens many doors for the future of Kathy Rain.

Q: I own the original Kathy Rain, will I get a discount on the Director’s Cut?
A: First of all, thank you! There will indeed be a discount on the Director’s Cut for any owners of the original game. Specifics will be announced closer to release.

Q: Is Kathy Rain: Director’s Cut the mysterious “Project III”?
A: No, Project III is a totally different game! Both titles are being developed in parallel at Clifftop Games.

New stuff sounds cool enough but I dislike that they changed the interface to the streamlined single click.

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
According to this thread, it's been four years since I've finished the original. That's just enough time for my memories of the game to start fading. Looking forward to the Director's Cut.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Lead voice actor Arielle Siegel from the new game Kathy Rain talks us through new gameplay and give us an update on the game.

Set in the 90's, Kathy Rain tells the story of a strong-willed journalism major who has to come to terms with her own troubled past as she investigates the mysterious death of her recently deceased grandfather.

Last edited:

bertram_tung

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
What's the difference with respect the original version?

Edit: mm'kay

the steam page is one click away

Director's Cut Features:
  • Extended storyline with a prolonged ending, hundreds of lines of additional dialogue, and multiple new areas to explore.
  • Several new major puzzle chains and many small additions and tweaks of existing puzzles.
  • Enlarged game environments to fill up the entire screen without any black bars on the sides.
  • Made countless visual improvements, such as more character animations, better lighting/shadows and extra weather effects.
  • Streamlined mouse controls with an intuitive single click interface.
  • Controller support done right. Lean back in your chair and take smooth direct control of Kathy, with no messy cursor getting in the way.
  • Expanded and remixed soundtrack by the original composer, Daniel Kobylarz.
  • Five brand new motorcycle designs to unlock and customize the Katmobile with.

Self-Ejected

supervoid

Self-Ejected
Original uses verb-coin-like interface with "look" and "interact" for some hotspots. In practice they usually work as "flavor text" and "click to progress". In director's cut you click hotspots for description and/or interaction. I don't think it changes much, iirc you couldn't get stuck because you failed to look at something.

Last edited:

Neuromancer

Augur
That depends, what you consider "flavor" and what a "part of the game". With your argument you might remove almost all things from the game, since they just hinder "game progess". At some point you'll have only an interactive movie left.

In my opinion, examining things is an important part of adventure games. And it makes sense, that you can only interact with some objects after you have looked at them and figured out, how they work.
Also in my opinion, the extra "flavor" adds to the game.

Is this a huge thing in case of Kathy Rain HD?
Certainly not, but it still is an unnecessary decline.

The real reason, they removed the second button, is probably that the game should be better playable on touchpads. :mad:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Sooo is this some sjw feminist shit or is it an interesting game? What is about ?

It's about a biker chick college student who goes back to her old hometown to attend her grandfather's funeral and becomes involved in a Twin Peaks-like supernatural mystery.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
LoL played a bit and the protagonist is the most annoying shit i have seen in me fucking gaming history. She is beyond obnoxious,and the writers are retards,giving you a bunch of answer options which are all edgy cringe vomit and all have the same meaning. Some chap nazi dude ask you out and you have four options of saying no.

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
real underwhelming edition, I believe it's actually inferior since Parowan Peak slows down the finale

bertram_tung

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
I thought it was an interesting (to say the least) creative decision to show Kathy receiving anal from her grandfather's ghost at the end, but I support the developer's right to freedom of expression.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom