Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ken Levine looks like a rat

Peter

Arcane
I dunno, save for the Awesome Button and the tears in reality, the demo looks okay, but then so did the early Bioshock demo. Art design is good, just as it was in Bioshock, and looks like the rails add some verticality to the whole thing, but it's pretty obvious that the whole combat sequence is scripted to hell and back. Will probably be just as much of a turd as Bioshock turned out to be.

ArcturusXIV

Cipher
I fully expect Bioshock Infinite to be overhyped and overmarketed. I hate that type of game, because it is so intent on telling the story for the player, that it forgets to let the player tell the story.

Yeah, Ken Levine looks rat-like. I also like him. Intelligence is a rare commodity in epochs, minions, and game design, but common in Jews. :P

Pity, though, you'd expect EA to catch on and publish SS3 with the success of DX:HR, Bioshock, and Dead Space on the hype machine. Yeah, that game... The one ahead of it's time. Even Deus Ex didn't hit that spot quite right.

I am of course, talking about the legendary SHODAN.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Bioshick Infinite is the new DNF. Overhyped, overmarketed, but will turn out to be a piece of shit.

spekkio

Arcane
Even Deus Ex didn't hit that spot quite right.
:bro:

But System Shock 3? In 201x? Made by Ken Levine?

MCaineGun.gif

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Art direction is phenomenal, as is the level design from the looks of it, but the obvious and extensive scripting really gets in the way (though I'm willing to forgive that considering it's a trailer). There are a lot of open spaces and what looks like the ability to change the pace/intensity of the gameplay to some degree at will, not to mention possible free navigation throughout - at least, that's what they're promising. It will be interesting to see how it actually turns out in the end - as others have pointed out, early BioShock demos were very impressive but the actual game ended up being significantly... well, the game really didn't manage it at all, and lacked much of the excitement and freedom originally teased.

That said, even from the demo I can tell the shooting and AI look pretty bad (tiny console-style FOV, all the view bobbing, enemies standing still in the open and not using any cover), and the protagonist is really annoying with his Generic White American voice. For as technically and artistically brilliant as the game looks, the actual mechanics and presentation still seem to leave something to be desired. And is that two weapons maximum I see? God dammit, not this shit again. This is a game about floating cities with a 19th-century America theme park vibe, with giant mutants and psychic powers, and we have to make concessions to "realism"?

Oh, and too much fucking bloom. God dammit, usually I don't mind some for the sake of atmosphere, but this is possibly the worst implementation of it I've ever seen, period. At least they abstained from using the DirectX 11 Brown Filter(TM) Technology this time.

Bitcher

Educated
ArcturusXIV said:
Pity, though, you'd expect EA to catch on and publish SS3
What is it? You haven't had enough cock up your ass so that you demand more rape or perhaps you're just gullible enough to think they'd actually make something good? SS is one of the franchises still untainted by the decline and if gods are merciful it'll remain that way.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Bioshock Infinite has a great art direction that rivals Blizzard's, IMO.

I'll probably buy it just for the art direction and the few cutesy scripted gimmicks. It will still be a fresher experience than most other junk on the market.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
I didn't know gel in hair was still trendy, that shit will make you bald

Fucking christ, this is the gayest post I've ever written

ArcturusXIV

Cipher
Don't stretch what I said -- System Shock 3 would probably not be made by Levine & Co.

However, we'd end up with a shit sequel anyway, which is sad, my simple observation is that EA is slow catching onto trends. Not that I necessarily need a shit sequel, but a proper one would be nice, with excellent music.

For some reason Deus Ex reminded me of SS2, but I enjoyed SS2 better, maybe because it stretched imagination further for me, I'm less Noir, more space agey. Also, the music was great. I found it tense, and the plot, the villain, all congealed to form an experience that took my imagination a little further out than the plausible gameplay experience of DX. This is personal preference. Don't dispute. You're not fighting facts, you're fighting opinions.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Dead Space was originally the new SS3, but even EA had the decency to no use the SS3 name. Therefore I don't think we will see a SS3 from EA, at least not too soon.
On the SS2 versus DX, it's hard to draw a line: SS2 had Shodan, DX had superb locations like Hong Kong. But I agree on one point, SS2 is more hardcore than DX.

MetalCraze

Arcane
What's so special about Bioshock Infinite art style?

Looks like many other jap animes. E.g. we slap together some random shit and call it art.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Way back in 2007, I found that Ken Levine guy rather arrogant when he said, "BioShock is going to put a skewer through all the first person shooters you play."

It's a lengthier version of a John Romero sales pitch.

Put a skewer through FPSes? Levine needs to play a real FPS first. One where he actually risks getting killed, and is always in the threat of more enemies around the corner about to kill him insantly. Not this children's amusement park, storytard garbage he produced. Cyberdemons and imps are what challenge me, not movie-length cinematics.

Pablosdog

Prophet
Wyrmlord said:
Way back in 2007, I found that Ken Levine guy rather arrogant when he said, "BioShock is going to put a skewer through all the first person shooters you play."

It's a lengthier version of a John Romero sales pitch.

Put a skewer through FPSes? Levine needs to play a real FPS first. One where he actually risks getting killed, and is always in the threat of more enemies around the corner about to kill him insantly. Not this children's amusement park, storytard garbage he produced. Cyberdemons and imps are what challenge me, not movie-length cinematics.

I'm sure he's played challenging fpses, it's not like he designed system shock or thief or anything like that :smug:

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
baronjohn said:
Ken Levine looks like a rat

Never noticed it before but the semblance is uncanny.
maybe if you never seen a real rat in your entire life and all you have to go by are some really weird disney caricatures of rats that look like antisemitic nazi caricatures of jews.

Eyeball

Arcane
Not getting all the butthurt over BS in this thread. I thought what BS set out to do, it did really well - provide a cinematic, pretty easy gaming experience in a highly original setting with excellent atmosphere and art direction.

I didn't LIKE BS very much because it was simply too piss-easy and somehow failed to appeal to me, but it IS actually "good for what it is."

MetalCraze

Arcane
Pablosdog said:
I'm sure he's played challenging fpses, it's not like he designed system shock or thief or anything like that :smug:

He didn't design Thief. System Shock wasn't totally his design credit either.

Saying that there's nothing stopping a dude from becoming a complete retard.
Our beloved Emil "Have you seen my father" Pagriarulo started his career as a designer of Thief 2

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom