Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Kenshi - open-ended sandbox RPG set in a desert world

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by GarfunkeL, Nov 2, 2009.

1. Zanzoken Arcane

Zanzoken
    The game's economy is completely trivialized when you realize...

Legit spoiler. Don't read unless you are already experienced with the game. (open)
    You can extract an infinite amount of iron ore from iron nodes, for free.

You can then hammer that iron ore into armor plates.

With proper research, you can then use those armor plates (along with a bit of fabric) to make heavy armor. Once you have someone who can make Standard quality or better (which doesn't take long) they can routinely produce items worth hundreds / thousands of cats.

All of this can be done from the safety and comfort of a town, like Squin for example. You just need to first make enough money to buy a house and the research materials needed to start making heavy armor.

Within just a week or two of in-game time you can have a squad of 7 people -- one smith, two plate beaters, and four miners -- cranking out Heart Protectors around the clock for infinite money.
    I am sure there are other approaches that are just as effective. This is just the first one I came up with when I was learning the game, and it's quick and reliable enough that I never bothered with anything else. You can set it all up in a single 3-hour play session if you know what you're doing.

That's why it's hard for me to play Kenshi now, after so many hours invested. You have to consciously refrain from utilizing all the easy exploits (i.e. LARP) or there's no challenge.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Delterius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Delterius
    i wonder if this can work

1 . make a quick super assassin character via the stealth exploit from being a slave
    2 . kidnap one of the overpowered super samurai noble elites
    3 . drop them naked and unconscious
    4 . pay 100k for 'em and reload until they join you

(semi)instant super fighter man joins your party?

• Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    • Doggy Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. mondblut Arcane

mondblut
    There is a hardcoded cap of 25 on stats for a slave to be recruitable, can't say for sure if it's an average or to every stat. Stick to reaver slaves. Or get recruitable prisoners or player slavery mods.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Fenix Arcane Vatnik

Fenix
    Steal is piss easy, so I avoid that, ratiaonale is "I don't wan't to damage my repo with thee guys".
    In that skleton sity I spent whole 150K and only bough 1 weapon - edge3 palcross, the rest are books&blueprints.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. SmartCheetah Arbiter

SmartCheetah
    Yeah, when I played for the first time I wanted to run a stealthy character. After few hours I realized it's so easy to get crazy rich just by robbing all the shops over and over again every night. Would be cool if they introduced some sort of "additional guards" for at least few days after robbery or something, but stealth is so broken anyway that at some point you can steal under their noses so it wouldn't matter in a long run.

^ Top  
  6. polo Erudite

polo
    Yeah, stealth is stupidly op. Quite useful to kidnap strong guys for training tho.

^ Top  
  7. Saduj Arcane

Saduj
    In my current game with Living World mod, I turned Valamon in to the United Cities. Crab Raiders took over the Ark. Southern Hive took over the Reaver camps. Reavers were gone for a few months in game time.

Recently, they started spawning again - seemingly with more frequency than they did before I captured their leader. If I rest my characters overnight in Black Scratch , the guards get worn down by constant Grass Pirate and Reaver attacks to the point where they start getting knocked out. I've checked out the Ark and the Crab Raiders still seem to own it. But there was a weird static group of Reavers right outside The Ark that just stood there doing nothing until I killed them. The old Reaver camps are empty, having been purged of Southern Hivers a while ago.

Does anyone know what causes this? I'd be impressed if it was something along the lines of their having an new leader or Valamon escaping. But seems more like an annoying bug.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2021
    ^ Top  
  8. Major_Blackhart Codexia Lord Sodom Patron

Major_Blackhart
    I'm sure those mods get updates from time to time with enemies escaping or respawning. Kind of like a leaderless band of ravagers or something now.

• Creative Creative x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Saduj Arcane

Saduj
    Went to Brink to see if Valamon was still in jail and he was gone. Went back to the Ark and some of the static Reavers were still there. Sure enough, one of them was Valamon - I just didn't notice last time. He had a fresh bounty on his head and a 2nd Meitou longsword. Maybe this is a part of the mod that hasn't been fully fleshed out.

^ Top  
  10. Major_Blackhart Codexia Lord Sodom Patron

Major_Blackhart
    Hmm. I wonder if everyone can escape? Or did you perform some sort of world refresh / export?

^ Top  
  11. SoupNazi rial billionaire Patron

SoupNazi
    Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands
    I don't know the specifics of this one, but I do know that some of those world-reactivity mods have events where there's a huge group of elite troops sent in to rescue their leaders. I had one of the Holy Nation leaders (not Phoenix) captured in Admag, and I ended up returning there (I think with the next captive I got? Can't quite remember.) and found a massive group of Holy Nation Paladin, as well as some named NPCs, fighting it out. I think if I wasn't there, they would have succeeded, too. So things like that can definitely happen.

• incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Saduj Arcane

Saduj
    No, I never exported or anything like that. I never saw any Reavers attacking Brink or anything either. Maybe the idea was to just re-spawn Valamon next to the Ark and have him attempt to take it back but it isn't finished so he just stands there with his one small squad.

^ Top  
  13. Saduj Arcane

Saduj
    Had another faction come back after I turned in their leader. This time it is the Black Dogs. Usually, I leave these guys alone and they leave me alone. But a while back they tried to take advantage when they stumbled on an underpowered squad of mine - my six weakest including two noobs. Every time I knocked down the last one, another squad would show up. They would have won but when the fifth wave showed up, they didn't aggro on me and went to healing instead. My dudes were barely able to limp out of there with half my squad carrying the other half. Sent a group over to their base, killed everyone and turned their leader (who was added by the mod?) over to UC. After that their base was empty of everything including furniture and there were no more Black Dog patrols. Map screen said the base was now owned by Vagrants.

Recently, they started appearing again. Tech Hunter leader asked me to take them out. Went back to their base and it was still completely empty and owned by Vagrants. Then I noticed a static squad over on the side and sure enough, their leader was there. I like the idea but the implementation is a let down.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Math! Math! x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Zanzoken Arcane

Zanzoken
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2021
    • Brofist x 3
    • incline x 3
    • Prestigious x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. polo Erudite

polo
    Looks amazing.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  16. FriendlyMerchant Learned

FriendlyMerchant
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Zombra An iron rock in the river of blood and evil Patron

Zombra
    Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Ontopoly Hater of Larian

Ontopoly
    Started a new playthrough. I've set up a base called "Ontopoly's manufacturing INC." where we work metal for profit.

I also have an adventuring party. I feel the perfect team size is 20 people for your base and 20 for your exploring team. 20 people exploring is great because you have your memorable characters that you protect and get close to but you also have a couple no name characters that you don't really care about dying. They can die which makes it so you have to care about running into hostile situations but you don't feel like you have to save scum when they do. It's like any movie. Main characters have plot armor and occasionally you kill off a side character so that the stakes feel high.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 2
    ^ Top  
  19. Major_Blackhart Codexia Lord Sodom Patron

Major_Blackhart
    So who's going to be your Glen?

^ Top  
  20. TT1 Arcane Patron

TT1
    Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    I just had a second playthrough and got Beep to be trained all the way to epic levels of combat. He died of injuries just after killing Lord Phoenix and it was such a PERFECT redemption arc that I decided to not even load a previous save. Fuck, I am devastated.

• Salute x 8
    • Despair x 4
    • Brofist x 1
    • Prestigious x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Grampy_Bone Arcane

Grampy_Bone
    Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
    I always found katana crafting was easier and quicker, they're smaller, easier to transport, and worth a lot more.

^ Top  
  22. sorinmask Just like Yves, I chase tales. Patron

sorinmask
    Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Before you read, I would just like to say that this is one of the few times I didn't read the full article before posting, so I have no idea what this is about. I'm just really excited about Kenshi stuff, I just take them and post them right away.

That being said, here we go:

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    ^ Top  
  23. FriendlyMerchant Learned

FriendlyMerchant
    Are there going to be any new features like reproduction of Greenlander males with Sturdy Shek females? Please tell me there's going to be Strong Sturdy Female Shek Snu-snu.

• incline incline x 1
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Bigg Boss Arcane

Bigg Boss
    Something about mods in one of the most interesting MMO's I have ever seen just made me stop reading and get ready for a sale.

I didn't know it had mods so I am buying it.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2021
    • Fishy Fishy x 1
    • what? what? x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Delterius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Delterius
    i wish there was a mod that made the faces look less weird. every face mod is exactly the same, except the eyes are high definition or whatever.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.