Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Keyboard vs KB+M for old FPS

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
I've come to realize that KB+M is still THE BEST lately. Even as old as Doom, there's enough verticality to make KB+M worthwhile, and the weird perspective you get from looking up or down too sharply at tight spaces can be avoided by, well, not doing it, since doing so is never necessary. Strafing and 180 turn is easier, so the difficulty doesn't come out of frustrating control scheme. Your reflex is too good for the game to be challenging at normal difficulty? Turn it up!

Morkar Left

Playing Gothic 1 with keyboard was more fun for me than with kb + mouse. Combat just feels better that way.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Play however the fuck you want for fuck sake.
It was more of my curiosity on Codex' opinions though, rather than "MY WAY IS THE ONLY WAY TO PLAY" kind of thing.

I play Doom and Wolf 3D keyboard only because that's how I played them back then. There is no more to it. I don't know if it's "superior" or "inferior", that's just how I have fun. I'm not competing against anyone.

Jacob

Patron
Playing Gothic 1 with keyboard was more fun for me than with kb + mouse. Combat just feels better that way.
I think the mouse control in Gothic 2 was kinda forced though, and didn't really fit the combat system it had. Playing with keyboard and with G1 control scheme was more natural.

Lazing Dirk

Arcane
Your reflex is too good for the game to be challenging at normal difficulty? Turn it up!

That's actually why I prefer using KB&M, because I can turn the difficulty up and enjoy a more frantic game that is still a challenge whilst not having to contend with keyboard-only controls (dat turn speed).

Jacob

Patron
Play however the fuck you want for fuck sake.
It was more of my curiosity on Codex' opinions though, rather than "MY WAY IS THE ONLY WAY TO PLAY" kind of thing.

I play Doom and Wolf 3D keyboard only because that's how I played them back then. There is no more to it. I don't know if it's "superior" or "inferior", that's just how I have fun. I'm not competing against anyone.
I happen to play Doom on keyboard the first time I played too, but when I played the Build games it was more enjoyable with KB+M. I haven't really tested KBM on Doom, but what I've said in the OP is really only based on my memories of playing Doom, both 1 & 2. When I said "the best" it really means "superior" but not as in you're inferior for not preferring it, but more that it felt more fair and less frustrating, thus "more good out of two options available", hence "THE BEST"

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I tried to play Gothic 1 with a controller just for kicks and it works surprisingly well. Probably my preferred way to play it.

As for FPS, however you want. I prefer with mouse because that's how I played them.

Morkar Left

I think the mouse control in Gothic 2 was kinda forced though, and didn't really fit the combat system it had. Playing with keyboard and with G1 control scheme was more natural.

The time I started playing G2 kb + mouse was already the established standard and I just went with it. When I replayed G1 nowadays I use kb + mouse as well. Maybe should try it next time again with kb.

I tried to play Gothic 1 with a controller just for kicks and it works surprisingly well. Probably my preferred way to play it.

As for FPS, however you want. I prefer with mouse because that's how I played them.

Ironically the first time I played G1 I thought it was an original console game because the interface seemed to me like that.

Playing anything newer then pre-Dooms shooters with keyboard only is heresy, it's even worse than playing them on gamepad.

I used to play that way in Wolf3D but since ECWolf intruduced mouse support and one button strafing the choice is obvious.

HansDampf

Arcane
Since Overload I play all FPS with joystick.

For real though, I played Doom with KB+M and novert.

schru

Arcane
All of Id's shooters since Wolfenstein 3D had mouse support from the beginning (or at least so indicate the manuals), so I don't see why one shouldn't use it. What they did not have though were dedicated strafe keys next to the forward and backward keys, so strafing wasn't quite as convenient and it wasn't possible to circle-strafe with the Alt button. If anything, it's the modern shooter controls that don't suit those early games.

Also, what about looking up and down in Doom? It had no vertical look; that's only in source ports.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
If I want to gimp myself and play with suboptimal controls in an FPS, I play them on consoles. KB + M is the only way any FPS should be played. If I play Duke Nukem 3D for example, the first thing I install is the mouse support mod (although that is a default in the new versions).

Last edited:

schru

Arcane
But Duke Nukem 3D included mouse support from the day it was released, didn't it? Unless you have in mind that mod which improves the mouse movement.

Mustawd

I've come to realize that KB+M is still THE BEST lately. Even as old as Doom, there's enough verticality to make KB+M worthwhile,

You’re very strange. I’m playing Ultimate DOOM atm and tried it first with the default controls. I haven’t played a DOOM game since I was 11 or something, but good god the default controls felt awful. There’s no way in hell that scheme holds up at all. And the strafing controls are just abysmal.

I switched to using a sourceport and the experience with WASD + Mouse look is vastly superior. Not that anyone should play past Episode 1 of original DOOM anyhow. The maps in Episodes 2 and 3 are making me want to punch my screen. DOOM2 maps are clearly superior.

There is nothing wrong with using mouse and keyboard for Doom, people used it when it was first released. .

IIRC, with the exception of '93 shareware version, all atrract mode demos were recorded with k+m so argument that everyone played it keyboard-only then is total bullshit. Only mystery to me is if these demos were recorded usinig 'official' maximum mouse speed from options menu - I used to increase it via editing .cfg file.

Spukrian

Savant
I was humiliated in a Doom deathmatch where I used only keyboard by a dude using keyboard + mouse... in 1997. I still used keyboard only for old shooters untill I started using ZDoom (in 1999 I think it was?).

Out of curiosity, guyz what was yours first fpp shooter that made you switch from keyboard only to m+b?

Mine was Quake 2, thanks to it I redone my control habits for earlier games like Quake, Doom or Duke3D.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom