Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Kickstarter Board Games

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
So there have been some pretty cool looking board games launched on KS over the years. I have backed a couple (Catapult Kingdom, Altar Quest, Adventures in Neverland). I thought about Frosthaven, but it would be years before my kids could play that so I passed. All three of my kids love CK and my oldest son likes AQ but I need to help him out a lot.

Anyway the current hot shit is:

Almost $4 million in less than 10 days.

v1rus

Arcane
I find kickstarting board games a strange double-edged sword. Gloomhaven, a known masterpiece, would never exist without Kickstarter, while, on the other hand, there are seriously fucking dumb predatory tactics in most KS projects, involving exclusive content, which I would never, ever support (looking at you CMON). Gloomhaven KS not only produced a masterpiece, but their "No KS exclusives, everything is going to be available again" policy feels fair, and worth of respect.

Only stuff I'd ever kickstart would be things like Kemet v2.0 - for the simple reason I know exactly what I'm getting. Or, some Cole Wehrle games. I fucking love Cole Wehrle, and he's been pretty much confirmed as an innovative and passionate designer, willing to experiment.

Another problem with kickstarting games - there are so many great and interesting games out there, I cant imagine ever running out of anything published to try out, unless you are only interested in a specific niche. Out of 10 board games I currently own, only two have gotten played above 5 or 6 times, which is literally nothing for deep and complex games, so we barely scratched under the surface. Heck, I want to buy a new game so bad (its gonna be a last, for a while, I promise!) but my friends literally beg me to stop, 'cause they wanna explore the games I already own. And they are right. Perhaps family life and gaming with your own children would change that, dont know.

On the subject of KSing Frosthaven, I remeber talking to you about Frosthaven in shoutbox. You havent played the core Gloomhaven yet, right? I'd def recommend playing that first, (or rather JotL, then base Gloom) and only then Frosthaven. Yes, there is shitton of content, but most people find it so good they always crave more and go a step back, so no reason not to start at the beginning, especially since both games are compatible, and Frosthaven is supposed to be more advanced in its design of levels and classes.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
On the subject of KSing Frosthaven, I remeber talking to you about Frosthaven in shoutbox. You havent played the core Gloomhaven yet, right? I'd def recommend playing that first, (or rather JotL, then base Gloom) and only then Frosthaven. Yes, there is shitton of content, but most people find it so good they always crave more and go a step back, so no reason not to start at the beginning, especially since both games are compatible, and Frosthaven is supposed to be more advanced in its design of levels and classes.

Shit I only go to shoutbox when I am piss ass drunk so I have no recollection of that. I was thinking about their KS because you could get the game cheaper than retail but yeah I would like to try Gloomhaven first but my kids are just too young and I ran out of friends a decade or so ago. I almost bought it anyway (the combo deal) to put in closet for 5 years but that's a lot of dead money sitting around.

v1rus

Arcane
Shit I only go to shoutbox when I am piss ass drunk so I have no recollection of that.

So do I actually :D Drunk, or on the sleeping pills.

Getting it cheaper on KS was a nice idea and I'd prolly do that too (even tho we are not near to completing Gloomhaven), but the import fees would actually make it cost way more, so eh. Sitting around gathering dust shouldnt be a problem... but this is gloomhaven, and the box is god damn huge, and literally weights 9.5 kg. Depending on how old your kids are, you could probably fit one of them (if not two) in that box, its so darn big. Its only like 20$ more retail, so you made the smart choice I think.

Playing GH with your children sounds extremely awesome and fun, for multitude of reasons. You take the admin and monster combat on yourself on start, then slowly delegate responsibilities to your oldest and so on. You have some amazing family time ahead of you!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom