Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Kickstarter Watch.

Grauken

Blobbers forever
Patron
Interesting precedent - Kickstarter cancels a campaign for being overambitious: https://www.pcgamesn.com/raw/kickstarter

Kickstarter suspends GTA Online imitator RAW and cancels pledges

Earlier today, the Kickstarter for RAW – a ‘sandbox MMORP’ title built in the style of GTA Online – was suspended, as backers received an email from Kickstarter saying that pledges will be cancelled. The project had already met its funding goal, but faced plenty of criticism as fans, critics, and streamers suggested that it was far too ambitious to come to life on its modest budget – and it seems Kickstarter itself feels the same way.

“Our rules and guidelines ask that creators seek to raise the amount of money needed to bring a project to completion and fulfill all rewards,” a Kickstarter representative tells us. “This creator stated in an update that they would need to raise additional funds outside of Kickstarter to complete the game. We require projects to be honest and clearly presented, and this project failed to meet that standard.”

The devs added in an FAQ update that “a lot of gaming websites and people critic[ise] you and say it’s impossible,” saying “of course from the very beginning the game will come out a little raw, all the games come out like this. We will constantly continue to refine, develop and update our game and after you bought the game the updates will be free for you.” On the overview page the devs also say “our game is essentially a platform, which will be polished a long time after release.”

I think its pretty good that they stopped this, which has failure written all over it, but how likely is it they will do it again when the next Star Citizen with a formerly famous creator comes along.

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
I think its pretty good that they stopped this, which has failure written all over it, but how likely is it they will do it again when the next Star Citizen with a formerly famous creator comes along.

As far as I'm aware, Star Citizen sounded fairly achievable when they did their original campaign. It was only when they opened up their own donation system, post Kickstarter, that they started to promise the world. Which is a tactic that others will probably adopt to dodge this type of cancellation

Grauken

Blobbers forever
Patron

As far as I'm aware, Star Citizen sounded fairly achievable when they did their original campaign. It was only when they opened up their own donation system, post Kickstarter, that they started to promise the world. Which is a tactic that others will probably adopt to dodge this type of cancellation

Yeah, you're probably right, although I was much more skeptical, but despite it problems Elite: Dangerous is pretty much what Star Citizen promised, so its not impossible. What set off red flags for me was the whole, yes, its sorta like Wing Commander as well, but also MMO Wing Commander, same deceptive approach as Shroud of the Avatar, MMO and yes its really Ultima

udm

Arcane
Patron

What the actual fuck
bg5wx7r.gif

udm

Arcane
Patron
YAKSFPP (Yet Another Kickstarter Front Page Project)

Andhaira friends of yours? :smug:

adada271cbda73bb422716f105768bf0_original.jpg

Would make a Lazy Town gag reference here but I'm too respectful of the late Stefan Karl Stefansson to do so :salute:

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
Did anyone else back Crossroads Inn? I'm surprised to see so little discussion of it on the Codex. I backed it in a half drunken whim, but it's like exactly what I was looking for when I bought the Guild games (was kind of disappointed with them). Anyway they're streaming tomorrow if anyone's interested
Update #36
Livestream, 29.08.2019
579f047ce8853f94af42eac1116c63f0_original.png

Posted by Klabater
August 28, 2019
Creator
faa63bea6c3ec2d4004264452471eb8b_original.jpg

Another week, another stream!

This time we will be playing "Free mode" on Sandbox!

We are going LIVE on Thursday, 29.08.2019, at 19:00 CEST (1:00 PM EDT)!

Watch us live:
bit.ly/CINNStreamOnSteam
bit.ly/CINNStreamOnYoutube
bit.ly/CINNStreamOnTwitch
bit.ly/CINNStreamOnMixer

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut I helped put crap in Monomyth
Last edited:

Eirinjas

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex
"Start your life as a legendary hero in a dynamic, player driven MMO inspired by your favorite JRPGs and Anime."

I'd rather kill myself, thanks.

Dodo1610

Magister
Savior: Metrovenia with amazing Pixel Art animations

toro

Arcane
Savior: Metrovenia with amazing Pixel Art animations

This looks absolutely bonkers ... in a good way.

But I'm so burned out on previous KS(s) that I'm afraid to pledge.

Est. Release date: Oct 2022

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm so burned out on previous KS(s) that I'm afraid to pledge.
Keep the dream alive. I still pledge to a KS once in a while on a "fire and forget" basis. It's neat getting project updates from some of them. Same fun as getting mail that isn't junk mail.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Top Bottom