Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Kickstarter Watch.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Why is this project getting the cold shoulder from everyone? http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/732317316/starlight-inceptiontm/
Is it cause of the Space Combat Sim genre or is it the Vita thing?

As a giant tie fighter, freelancer and wing commander fan I was going to pledge. Then I got weary because of the whole Vita thing. Reading a little further there was also mention of launch dlc. Interest gone. I'm sure as hell not going to endorse this whole launch DLC thing.

Kz3r0

Arcane
I want to signal this game, College-Ruled Universe, a completely hand drawn SHMUP in space, a very artsy game, the project is already funded and the reward tiers are quite affordable, like this one:

Pledge $20 or more
57 Backers • Limited Reward (193 of 250 remaining)

You ready for this? You'll get a USB stick containing a high-resolution PDF of the CRU artbook, the game's soundtrack in mp3(with cover art), and a copy of the game! Also includes a 10"x14" signed, high-quality print of game artwork.
Estimated Delivery: Jul 2012
At this moment 38 hours to go.
If will get enough interest I will add it to the list.

Sorry, I have tee this only now, unless it will produce some quality LULZ I am not going to add it, the project is practically dead by the way, a good thing.

Alex

Arcane
Kz3r0

The funny thing about that kickstarter Johannes posted is that, apparently, the guy responsible won the lottery. I think it could make a couple of people really butthurt if he decides to fill in the rest of the money at the last second and gets the money from the people who pledged $10,000.

Kz3r0

Arcane
Kz3r0

The funny thing about that kickstarter Johannes posted is that, apparently, the guy responsible won the lottery. I think it could make a couple of people really butthurt if he decides to fill in the rest of the money at the last second and gets the money from the people who pledged $10,000.
It was already addressed in another thread that now I don't remember, the guy twitted about this very subject by saying that you can't pledge to your own project, not that is an unsurmountable obstacle, besides, for him that sum is really less than pocket change.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Kz3r0

It was already addressed in another thread that now I don't remember, the guy twitted about this very subject by saying that you can't pledge to your own project, not that is an unsurmountable obstacle, besides, for him that sum is really less than pocket change.

Take a look at him though...he probably burns through $10,000 worth of greaseburgers and fried chicken per week. Every bit counts.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
He might find that a worthwhile expense just because of the epic butthurt it would generate, though. Why be rich if you can't troll people with your money?

Alex

Arcane
Kz3r0
I didn't even mean it as a way to fuck with people. If he really wanted to do that project and posted it to see if he could avoid paying the full price, it wouldn't matter if only a little was pledged. But Johannes is right, unless he gets more than $110,000 in pledges, he is better off letting the project go unfunded.

Kz3r0

Arcane
Incidentally, he's a ordained Wiccan priest, this means that he doesn't pay taxes in USA, or has a very generous tax breaks.

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
The makers of Grim Dawn are preparing a Kickstarter as well, they are a bit ambiguous as to whether it is for Grim Dawn, or for a different project.

Grim Dawn
We're planning to put up a Kickstarter project ourselves soon but, in the meantime, Wasteland 2 is looking totally sweet!

Kz3r0

Arcane
The makers of Grim Dawn are preparing a Kickstarter as well, they are a bit ambiguous as to whether it is for Grim Dawn, or for a different project.

Grim Dawn
We're planning to put up a Kickstarter project ourselves soon but, in the meantime, Wasteland 2 is looking totally sweet!
Let' see when there will be something official.

I will list some project that is not properly up to Codex standards but who knows:
Guns of Icarus Online Steampunk multiplayer shooter, considering how many steampunk lovers are around here maybe someone is interested, the project is already funded.

Valdis Story: Abyssal City A Castlevania like game, already funded.

Auditorium 2: Duet Synesthetic puzzle music game with emphasis on co-op, already funded as well.

Sorry but I must add this one, Fist Puncher: Old School Beat 'Em Up, in the vein of Double Dragon is made by the winners of an IGN reality show(LOL WUT?), at this moment they had won the title of most gay pitch video to date, just watch the beginning.

Mercenary Games

Educated
Howdy!

I'm the lead engineer for Mercenary Games. We'd like to thank people for including us in this thread. :)

Regarding "RTS meets REZ acid trip".... hmmm, at least we're hitting your visual cortex in the right area. Good. Just as planned :D

Kz3r0

Arcane
Howdy!

I'm the lead engineer for Mercenary Games. We'd like to thank people for including us in this thread. :)

Regarding "RTS meets REZ acid trip".... hmmm, at least we're hitting your visual cortex in the right area. Good. Just as planned :D
Welcome, if you wish I can change the description, also, I suggest you to make a proper thread to discuss your game, or contact the staff for an interview, what you think is best.

Mercenary Games

Educated
Oh, I don't want to intrude on the forum.

If there's gonna be a separate thread, I'll roll with it, at the moderators discretion.

I'll talk to the staff about our project, if they would be interested. I'll also answer some questions about "kickstarter in general" and our project if people are curious.

And now, for some studio hilarity :)

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I suggest you to make a proper thread to discuss your game, or contact the staff for an interview, what you think is best.

We aren't really covering RTS games or doing interviews on those. A thread in the Strategy Gaming subforum would be appropriate, though.

Mercenary Games

Educated
Also, would like to personally thank the people who backed us on this thread. :)

Thanks for the fuel y'all. We'll put it to good use.

Kz3r0

Arcane
Considering all the angst going on about in other threads I am thinking to add a section for Kickstarter projects that delivered the goodies, not necessarily games of Codexian persuasion.
For now I have found this:
"Loc" - Can You Escape?

They got 7K$ and the game has been released 3 days ago, the funny thing is that buying the game cost 5$, while to have it by pledging the cost was 25$, well with some goodies included.

Mercenary Games

Educated
We'd like to share our concerns about Kickstarter as well, from our own studios problems and our situation for the past 2 years.

We've been developing our engine and our game assets, mostly on the side, and only going fulltime with it during the past 6 months.

We were making good progress, however, our teams personal finances were starting to suffer. We've got crew mates who still go to school, or they can't find decent work, nor decent contracts to fill in the time. We've been making the game primarily online through Skype, Dropbox and Git.

Kickstarter was not an easy choice for us. By opening the project to public scrutiny, and by opening up to the community, we have to expend DOUBLE the effort, since we now have to deal with an audience and try to find interested gamers.

By no means did we want to do Kickstarter, it was a last resort to save our project, or freeze it again.

We also started thinking about how our concept should be tested. Will we receive the kind of reception we needed to deliver the game to the market?

So, Kickstarter it was. We needed fuel, and we needed to deliver this concept out of the engine room.

We don't feel like pointing fingers at other projects, though we are going to be blunt about the filthy attitudes of a minority of pitches on KS. Basically it rolls down to "I haz a game idea, plz give me moniez so I can haz artists, hackerz and sound doodz to do everything for our powerpoint deck, and feed my dream."

There's also some numbskull scheduling and costing of a project. We're not talking about the big titles though, the veterans know what they are doing, and have already proven themselves on project delivery. However, some projects asking 300k+ for an iOS game? Please. 1M+ for an untested, no crew, no design philosophy game pitch? Unspeakable.

Sorry for the rant. It's just hard to swallow the kind of bullshit numbers being thrown up there. We believe Kickstarter is about saving and preserving a project, as a last resort, and not some Zynga style cash cow. The veterans deserve the kind of fuel they are getting, they already have the reputation to back it up.

We are still unknown, and we recognize the need to prove our scheduling, costing and design honestly. We've got a crew thats worked on game engines from the PS3, iOS and in Windows environments. We even have artwork already laid out.

Hopefully the Patrons will sort this out, and think for themselves. We believe Kickstarter to be a rational community effort, and not some audience to be gamed.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
I remember looking a tloc and going "eh, if they had the game on a $5ish tier I migh be interested byt $25? bloody hell.

If I had pledged and then found out later I could've gotten the game for a fifth of tha tI'd have been pretty pissed.

Mercenary Games
I think many of us share those thoughts. If you look around (and I really advise you don't, the codex has a way of scaring away developers once they read our posts) you'll find many of the same sentiments about people treating kickstarter as a pyramid scheme echoed here.

I did throw you some of my filthy jewgold because, well, I liked rez; your pitch sounded compelling and it was reassuring to see actual work towards a product was being done. That said, if you want feedback/atvertizing on your project, you may be better served going to the Strategy Games subforum. Throw up a thread, give an infodump with concrete details about how the game is goign to play and paste in a kickstarter link. The RTS crowd that you are likely looking entice don't necessairely read the general gaming. It is a hive of scum and popamole suprassed only by General Discussion.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Mercenary Games

:bro:

Bravo. This is how a person speaks who is actually MAKING a game.

Believe me, during the last weeks we have already been discussing the exact same thing. People giving substantial money to such projects could be the death of crowdfunding.

That was also the reason I asked Kz3r0 to make changes to the structure of his kickstarter watch. Putting Wasteland side by side with Tortured Hearts is simply not right.

It's no biggie with four RPG projects but once the list gets longer it will be downright confusing.

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Thank you for dropping by and posting, devs are always welcome; Though the game you're making is not really my style I might support the effort nevertheless.

Mercenary Games

Educated
Ulminati : Thanks for the support man. :) I'll consider a discussion in your strategy forums once we release a combat prototype free to play.

BurningBridges : *geeksta fist* , even with the shit pitches and outright scams in there, we do believe Kickstarter is still a rational community for creative folks. It's not like the bullshit stock market, or the imperialist attitudes in Silicon Valley. We still believe in the power of Rational Patronage, especially under the lens of public scrutiny.

DwarvenFood : Glad you liked our delivery. There's a lot of devs in KS that have decent games and a costing effort that's down to earth, you should check them out as well.

Lord Rocket

Erudite
Yeah starting a thread elsewhere would prolly be wise bro, this is really just a list of interesting/hilarious projects, and not necessarily a good place for discussion.

Anyway, lulz section:

Echoes of Eternia

Although it's good to see screenshots and concept art etc. on a Kickstarter page, they belong there simply because of this impressively retarded statement:

We feel that lately, RPG Video Games have been forgotten and have been too westernized. RPG's have lost their appeal and their heritage.

Also 'RPG games' in the video

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Although it's good to see screenshots and concept art etc. on a Kickstarter page, they belong there simply because of this impressively retarded statement:

We feel that lately, RPG Video Games have been forgotten and have been too westernized. RPG's have lost their appeal and their heritage.
What a jester.
How has "RPG Video Games" become too westernized?
I don't follow JRPGs. Have they started to introduce such blasphemy as non-linearity, masculine characters and C&C?

Stabwound

Arcane
It's maybe hard to believe, the JRPGs have seen a massive decline in the current generation. The games barely exist anymore, and the good ones are basically the Wizardry clone blobbers.

Being a long time JRPG fan (shut up) the project looks potentially good to me, but then again it could be a generic RPG Maker game for all I know.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom