Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Kickstarter Watch.

Stabwound

Arcane
The Veronica Mars thing is interesting even if I don't even know the show. $2 million sounds incredibly low for a movie budget, though. They're obviously going to get way more than that, but what if they didn't? I guess this probably has private investors backing it up as well.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The Veronica Mars thing is interesting even if I don't even know the show. $2 million sounds incredibly low for a movie budget, though. They're obviously going to get way more than that, but what if they didn't? I guess this probably has private investors backing it up as well.

Private investors? They've got Warner Bros.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
Veronica Mars was pretty decent show and has LOT of crazy fans who've been waiting for Veronica Mars film so I'm not surprised at all they broke the record, same with something like Buffy the Vampire Slayer/Spike/Angel film would be put in Kickstarter.

Alex

Arcane
I have no idea what a Veronica Mars is but this kind of gives me hope we will see a third X-Files movie, or maybe even a new season!

The Veronica Mars Project - $35 minimum to get a digital copy of the movie? And people thought the LB kickstarter was overpriced. That's pretty extreme. It should be less than the price of a movie ticket, especially considering you'll be watching it from home anyway.

There's no offer of an actual movie ticket in the tiers which is pretty stupid but I imagine once the movie industry wakes up to this it will become the norm to offer tickets.

Anyway this hints at an entirely new era to kickstarter, one which will probably eventually obscure the size of the Video Game one. I'm not yet decided on whether it will be a net-positive for games though. Obviously it will greatly expand the size of the kickstarter market with some of that flowing over into game development, but I get the feeling that it might cause some serious bloat, quicken the speed of the "Big Disaster" that will inevitably hit kickstarter and potentially weigh down the platform so that smaller, perhaps more deserving projects will find it even more difficult to get exposure.

I really don't give a shit about movies. I only care how it affects game development. Time will tell.

Also, this is mostly game related and some people might find it interesting:

www.kickstarter.com/projects/499808045/from-the-composer-of-skyrim-soule-symphony-no-1

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I seriously doubt this movie guys to theaters. It's gonna be very limited release if it does.

Dexter

Arcane
I seriously doubt this movie guys to theaters. It's gonna be very limited release if it does.
It will be in theaters, although as you said for the moment they are planning a "limited" release.

Other than that, there are more than a few noteworthy things about the campaign:
- They asked permission from Warner Brothers to make the movie (since they own the "IP") and they are apparently handling distribution and marketing, I'd expect they will also likely add to the budget themselves, since the marketing headstart this KickStarter has provided (apparently beating the pope election on social media) and the sales of DVDs, iTunes downloads and similar it will generate might prove rather persuasive
- This apparently also complicates things in "ye olde' legacy industry" kind of ways though, for instance most of the rewards are capped to "US only", and they say they want to work that out for International pledgers, but it'll take a while to go through the proper channels
- This could be the catalyst needed for the "Movie & Video" category to take off in a similar way the "Games" one did with the Double Fine Adventure
- They don't seem to have exactly done their research into other projects to have this fully planned out, as they don't seem to have reacted with any "Stretch goals" or similar to offer people.

Anyway, this is a good thing and a net positive all things aside, I want to remind everyone of Tim Schafers little speech after the Double Fine campaign proved to be successful:
"If you've ever been told that you are part of a niche market, when you were a kid and you had your favorite TV show cancelled or you hear about your favorite band being dropped by the label for not selling enough and you've just been like "Why does a big company get to choose what music I listed to or what movies I watch or TV shows I watch or what game I get to play?" Now you know, they can't do that anymore. You can choose."

More importantly though, it serves as a proof of concept for other crowd favorites all around the world like Star Trek or Firefly that would likely break even these records with ease and possibly even dethrone the "Pebble Watch" as most funded KickStarter project.
And even if the studios profit from it right now, since the IPs are theirs. It just means it opens KickStarter to new audiences and possibilities to anyone. And at some point more people will ask themselves why they should give studios a large cut of the profits instead of pocketing them and making more quality programs themselves.

Netflix has already proven that they can do this outside of your usual old guard of TV and movie studios. They produced House of Cards recently and they resurrected Arrested Development for a fourth season.
These steps away from an industry that thrives only on ratings, quotas of certain age groups and market analyses can only be seen as a good thing, just as good as "gaming" stepping away from the greedy claws of big publishers.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The main concern is that movies are even more expensive than games. Serenity had a 30 million dollar budget, and that's considered low budget.

tuluse

Arcane
Yeah, but we're talking about industries where the difference between low budget is 5 million compared to 30 million.

Unless there is a big untapped market for character driven dramas that take place primarily in a single location, I don't think we're going to see a similar rush like with video games. I would love to be proven wrong though, and eagerly await a J. Michael Straczynski kickstarter.

almondblight

Arcane
Unless there is a big untapped market for character driven dramas that take place primarily in a single location, I don't think we're going to see a similar rush like with video games. I would love to be proven wrong though, and eagerly await a J. Michael Straczynski kickstarter.

You can make pretty good SciFi on a shoestring budget:

tuluse

Arcane
I think you'd be surprised how much a shoe string budget actually is, and when you make a TV show you get an economy of scale making multiple episodes at the same time.

I'm also not sure how well bad 80s special effects would go over with crowd funding.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
Yeah, but we're talking about industries where the difference between low budget is 5 million compared to 30 million.

Well...JMS has the rights for Babylon 5 theaterical film but I don't think he'll do it with just couple millions since he stopped doing The Lost Tales after the first double-feature because Warner Bros wouldn't give him higher budget for the future installments even though The Lost Tales sold better than they projected so I dont think we'll see JMS Kickstarter.

Robert Jarzebina

In my opinion The Veronica Mars biggest success is a very bad thing for gamedev community because kickstarter wont be a leading platform for funding games anymore. Soon kickstarter will be crowded with similar projects.

Just notice how number of pledgers for Torment dropped by a half after Veronica Mars kick was started.

It was just matter of time.Mmr Fargo did a great and smart thing becasue in a year from now he would be very lucky to get a 1m in 30 days.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
In my opinion The Veronica Mars biggest success is a very bad thing for gamedev community because kickstarter wont be a leading platform for funding games anymore. Soon kickstarter will be crowded with similar projects.

Just notice how number of pledgers for Torment dropped by a half after Veronica Mars kick was started.

It was just matter of time.Mmr Fargo did a great and smart thing becasue in a year from now he would be very lucky to get a 1m in 30 days.
Moron.

Self-Ejected

Kosmonaut

Lost in Space

To be honest, I don't think that there's too much intersection between Veronica Mars demography and the Torment one. I, for one, never watched the show and didn't pledge to it. I think that there's enough room for both types of projects at the same time.

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity

No potato for you today :keepmymoney:

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Is Veronica Mars in any way connected with Veronica Black? Never heard of it before.
With the "Mars" name I thought it might be some cool colonial Sci-Fi, but from the pictures on the kicstarter page it seems to take place on Earth...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom