Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Kickstarter Watch.

Robert Jarzebina

To be honest, I don't think that there's too much intersection between Veronica Mars demography and the Torment one. I, for one, never watched the show and didn't pledge to it. I think that there's enough room for both types of projects at the same time.

You would be surprised how many random people pledge there. Most of it dont know what Planescape Torment is, at all. Just read some comments there. I think only 25% of pledgers really know what they support and I am optimistic. Rest is just random people supporting whats hot at the moment.Thats normal with everything: books, music etc.

Self-Ejected

Kosmonaut

Lost in Space
To be honest, I don't think that there's too much intersection between Veronica Mars demography and the Torment one. I, for one, never watched the show and didn't pledge to it. I think that there's enough room for both types of projects at the same time.

You would be surprised how many random people pledge there. Most of it dont know what Planescape Torment is, at all. Just read some comments there. I think only 25% of pledgers really know what they support and I am optimistic. Rest is just random people supporting whats hot at the moment.Thats normal with everything: books, music etc.
I find difficult to believe that people that don't know what a RPG is or what Planescape: Torment is, is going to pledge for Torment. I agree that most people pledging for that game are Biodrones and similar demographies. But again, you are just pulling numbers and making a lot of assumptions just to "probe" your theory. OK let's assume that it's true, and Veronica Mars is "taking" money from Torment. That still doesn't mean that Kickstarter projects for this kind of games are doomed to fail.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2

Ok, let me be slightly more detailed than 'moron'.

You are engaging in post-hoc logic. This means attributing causation to something simply because it comes before another event. Let's take a look at some other big KS campaigns at similar points along in their campaign (some were longer than others, so the relevant points come later):
Double Fine adventure...
Backers/day (9): 2881
Backers/day (10): 1399
Backers/day (11): 1009
Backers/day (12): 641

Project Eternity
Backers/day (7): 1149
Backers/day (8): 971
Backers/day (9): 605
Backers/day (10): 670

Wasteland 2
Backers/day (11): 938
Backers/day (12): 601
Backers/day (13): 453

What's this? It's almost like... this happens to every campaign over a couple days at around roughly the same point, as the initial burst of donations fades, and new backers slow to a trickle.

This is a really long-form way of calling you a moron.

Robert Jarzebina

You are in some point right but those projects have different distribution curves so you are wrong if you look closer. Torment has much "faster"curve and should have "stability" point with 1100 pledgers around day 3-09.

You can even see an impact of Veronica by flattening Torment curve at this day when Eternity was growing(look at kictraq funding progress curve) and compare them.

Torment day, so flat:
LQlNB1U.jpg

So I was analyzing curves not the numbers.

Robert Jarzebina

I find difficult to believe that people that don't know what a RPG is or what Planescape: Torment is, is going to pledge for Torment.

Do you know sheep effect/Herd behavior?

People are supporting what is top, popular, hot at the moment, doesnt matter what it is.

Self-Ejected

Kosmonaut

Lost in Space
OK. This is the end of the RPG Kickstarters and we won't have any more (hypothetically) good games on Kickstarter because Hollywood. :roll:

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Only one thing could end Kickstarter for RPGs and that's if there's ever a Joss Whedon Kickstarter for Firefly, which will consume all the monies the internets has to offer and destroy our modern economy as we know it. Luckily most of the primaries have other contractual obligations which are much harder to shoot around than Kristen Bell's crappy Showtime series and, I don't know, sloth snuggling duties.

almondblight

Arcane
I think you'd be surprised how much a shoe string budget actually is, and when you make a TV show you get an economy of scale making multiple episodes at the same time.

I don't imagine those sets there are going to cost more than the sets for Veronica Mars. But even if they cost an arm and a leg, no one watched the show for the window dressing. If they had to use a cheap parking garage as the rebel base instead of the expensive one, I don't think there'd be any appreciable drop in quality since what's driving things is the acting and the script. Even though it wouldn't really be a movie (in my mind), I suppose you could even go the route of just making a play and filming it.

I'm also not sure how well bad 80s special effects would go over with crowd funding.

Depends on the people. Crowd funding is about small groups of people who are passionate about things. The big studios are already giving us lots of films that focus on special effects and relegate writing and acting to the backseat. I wouldn't mind projects that do just the opposite.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

You are in some point right but those projects have different distribution curves so you are wrong if you look closer. Torment has much "faster"curve and should have "stability" point with 1100 pledgers around day 3-09.

You can even see an impact of Veronica by flattening Torment curve at this day when Eternity was growing(look at kictraq funding progress curve) and compare them.

Torment day, so flat:
LQlNB1U.jpg

So I was analyzing curves not the numbers.

dmW6l1i.png

PROTIP: If you think a Kickstarter isn't performing as well you think it should be performing, and you think you know the reason why, then you're almost always wrong.

Gurkog

Erudite
Project: Eternity
The Veronica Mars series was boring, generic teen show with a hot lead actress that all the pedos want to violate and all the ugly girls dream of being. Joss Whedon is committed to 3 more years of Marvel comics movies and Nathan is busy with Castle for the next 2 years. In 3 years, if the cast aren't all in nursing homes by then, they might consider raping our wallets creating real entertainment.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Pledge $10,000 or more

1 backer All gone!
You will get a speaking role in the movie. Here’s the scene — Veronica is eating with the man in her life. Things have gotten tense between them. You are the waiter/waitress. You approach the table, and you say, “Your check, sir.”

For $10,000 I expect to bang Kristen Bell. Not that I find her insanely attractive.

Lancehead

Liturgist
Pledge $10,000 or more

1 backer All gone!
You will get a speaking role in the movie. Here’s the scene — Veronica is eating with the man in her life. Things have gotten tense between them. You are the waiter/waitress. You approach the table, and you say, “Your check, sir.”

For $10,000 I expect to bang Kristen Bell. Not that I find her insanely attractive.
If BioWare ever did a Kickstarter, one can expect such stretch goals.

$ 10 million stretch goal: All companions romancible by all genders.

almondblight

Arcane
So, Tom and Bruce got $13K: "The funding is for ten brand-new Tom vs. Bruce articles to be delivered roughly monthly over the next year." As of today, there's been a Dune LP and a Political Machine LP, with the last update from Nov. 5, 2012.

This comment on the Star Control page seems spot on:

Another thing I just found interesting. I took a look at this Kickstarter expected delivery date and the prior Kickstarter's expected delivery date. Now, for someone's first Kickstarter, I could understand them way under-estimating development time. The first one expected delivery Dec 2011. 8 months later, Warballoon starts up another Kickstarter for the PC/Mac version. That's not a huge deal in my opinion, but funding ended in August and expected delivery was October. 2 months. Warballoon was already over by 8 months on the iOS version at that point. For them to state the PC version would be done in 2 months, they must have thought either:
-the iOS version was done and ready to be released so they could start on the PC version
-or they knew the 2 month deadline was patently false
-or even though they had already run one kickstarter and were over by 8 months they still had no sane idea of how to reasonably judge development time.
None of these options instill confidence.
How could you expect to release the PC version in 2 months when you were not even remotely close to being done with the iOS version at that point? You have stated multiple times that the PC version is a port of the iOS but with more features. I would really love to know the thought process behind these choices.

Surprisingly enough, it looks like Takedown is actually doing a decent job so far.

Stabwound

Arcane
Slick.

We just wanted to let everyone know that our studio has been able to secure private funding that will carry us through the development cycle of Civitas. Our teams talent and experience, combined with the support of you guys here on kickstarter made this funding possible. Even though we are on track to fund 100%, we feel like this will be a better option for our studio at this time.
Great job on using KS as a marketing ploy to secure private funding. :roll:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom