Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Kickstarter Watch.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Thief meets pretentious "surrealist" indie art style:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1841885340/tangiers-surrealist-stealth

It does sound pretty interesting, actually.

Using the sandbox stealth of Looking Glass Studio's Thief series as the base of Tangiers, we're looking to build a world inspired by, embodying and adapting the alternative avant-garde of the 20th century.

Writers such as Burroughs and Ballard, artists within the Dada movement and the music and textures of Throbbing Gristle, Cabaret Voltaire and David Lynch all drive us. They are our motivations - often oblique, sometimes in open reference.

You play an outsider to the world, an entity with a singular, enigmatic goal - to find and dispose of five other beings. Your arrival here has fractured the world; the city that these other beings resided in is now broken into shards across a broken, bleak landscape.

You must infiltrate these cities, searching to discover your marks - investigating both precisely who, and where.
Keeping to the shadows is to be encouraged - reality here is a fragile place. Your interactions with the world cause it to fall apart. In homage to Burrough's cut-up technique, the world collapses and rebuilds itself the more you interact with it - future areas rebuilt with the fragments and personality of places you mistreated. From this every play-through will, subtly or drastically, be unique to you.

The fragile state is inherent in the entire setting. The spoken words of its inhabitants materialize physically - collect the frustrations of a guard unable to locate you and use them to distract, mislead and spread disinformation. Gather the intimate words of an illicit conversation and use them to unveil secrets, hidden pockets within the city. Turn them into reality - a character mentions rats and you can turn his words into a devouring swarm of them.

Traditional rules are lost. Buildings ignore gravity, ignore the constraints of space. Architecture adopts the mind-state of its inhabitants, who are in turn physically and violently changed in response. This is a world that is as horrific as often as it is absurd and inane.

Some, but not all of the features you'll find in Tangiers are:
  • Shadow based stealth engine.
  • Sandbox environments: choose how you'll proceed through areas and the manner in which you do so, be it ghosting unseen or methodically disposing of all you come across.
  • Expansive external landscapes full of side-narratives and hidden areas to discover.
  • Language becomes reality - collect other characters' spoken word to utilize as a tool to your own ends. Use words and combine them with your standard abilities to distract, mislead or create new effects based on their meaning.
  • Non-linear progression: Entirely up to you as to the order in which you approach each levels.
  • Reactive difficulty: The depth of challenge in areas is set based upon your overall progress.
  • Reactive game world: The world of Tangiers rebuilds itself as you progress, based upon what you do and where you do it.
  • Windows, Mac and Linux versions.
Stealth

At its heart, Tangiers sits on a traditional stealth engine. Keep to the shadows, keep quiet and use your abilities to manipulate a hostile environment. Levels are open ended - plan and choose your approach, infiltrate any number of routes, keep to the shadows and stay quiet.

While we're keeping closely to this style of game and indeed aiming to go back to the genre's roots, we don't just want to repeat what's been done before. A lot of similarities, yes - but almost all your interactions with the world, and the world's interactions with you will be viewed through the concepts and ethos of our creative inspirations.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Ii sounds incredible, but ~50k dollars doesn't seem like enough money to make such a game.

Also they should have used the modified Doom 3 engine The Dark Mod is making :rpgcodex:

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
I considered backing, but the more I hear the less it sounds like Syndicate. A city simulation and class based. Not the thing I want from a Syndicate.

skacky

3D Realms
Developer
Tangiers looks interesting. I don't think it'll ever reach its goal, but I'm in dire need of stealth games and it looks like the developer loves Thief.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Is it possible to go for kickstarter second time if you couldn't make in for the first time?

If what you mean to ask is whether project creators are able to try again after failing to meet their fundraising goal the first time, then the answer is yes.

If what you mean to ask is whether backers can pledge after the Kickstarter ends, then the answer is "maybe." It depends on what options the project creator chooses to offer via their own website or wherever.

If neither of those are what you meant to ask, then I have no idea what it is you're asking.

Edit: There must have been some weird display issue, because before I posted this, Space Satan's post was the last one in the thread, and I just clicked about a minute ago....

Kz3r0

Arcane
Is it possible to go for kickstarter second time if you couldn't make in for the first time?
It's not uncommon to see projects canceled and restarted or failed projects doing a second attempt shortly after, however until now I haven't see a third attempt, not on Kickstarter and neither on Indiegogo, I don't know if it's due to some sort of waiting for approval that takes longer in case of repeated attempt of there is some rule in place of which I am unaware of.

Kz3r0

Arcane
Tangiers looks interesting. I don't think it'll ever reach its goal, but I'm in dire need of stealth games and it looks like the developer loves Thief.
I am inclined to not add the game to the list for two reasons, looks more as a proof of concept than a game and this passage from the Kicksterter page:
Despite the sensible choice being "don't do it", Alex left his job to pursue his long standing dream of developing such a game. Michael put himself in a similar position, so as it stands currently, the two of us are working full time without anything approximating an income. It's all very utilitarian and DIY in the Andalusian office - the so called "office" is Alex's bedroom, Michael's laptop is far too old and held together by duct tape and his office chair is missing a wheel.
No way that they can finish the game with the asked money, a professional laptop plus Unity pro license is already around 3.000~4.000 €, and they are going to barely making it, if ever.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom