Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Kickstarter Watch.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron

kaizoku

Arcane
I like how they go "we decided to replace ordinary real-time combat with more modern and exciting turn-based combat". Has gaming come a full circle?
:takemymoney:

cock sucking fuck!
This looks very interesting and they aren't going to make it :(

Hell, they needed 600k to make this a really fine game.

Pledged... but it's not going to happen.

Also, it looks like Balrum is not going to make it :(
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/balconyteam/balrum?ref=users
Neither Eterium
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1989266212/eterium-a-space-combat-sim-for-windows-pc?ref=users

Multi-headed Cow

http://www.quartertothree.com/game-talk/showthread.php?69587-The-Return-of-Tom-VS-Bruce/page15

Writing for videogames continues to be hard, as does ordering t-shirts.

Now I've never written anything for money, but I have commissioned a bulk order of custom t-shirts and LET ME TELL YOU BROS it didn't take that goddamn long. I even designed the logo for 'em. Unless Tom's using slow boat from China LundB sweatshops to save himself a few shekels compared to buying them locally I have no fucking idea how that's defeating him.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron

kaizoku

Arcane
look who's back http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/617502838/shadow-of-the-eternals-0?ref=category

Shadow of the Eternals is:
A single-player third-person action/adventure game with horror elements.
An 8-10 hour complete experience.
Multiple playable characters throughout different time periods of history.
Sanity events - special graphical, audio, and controller effects - will challenge your senses and your mind, causing you to question what is real.
Developed in collaboration with the community via an exclusive area on our forums.
Developed with CryENGINE 3 for PC (Windows) and Wii U.
Available via a DRM-free distribution method (for PC).

AstroZombie

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin
look who's back http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/617502838/shadow-of-the-eternals-0?ref=category

Shadow of the Eternals is:
A single-player third-person action/adventure game with horror elements.
An 8-10 hour complete experience.
Multiple playable characters throughout different time periods of history.
Sanity events - special graphical, audio, and controller effects - will challenge your senses and your mind, causing you to question what is real.
Developed in collaboration with the community via an exclusive area on our forums.
Developed with CryENGINE 3 for PC (Windows) and Wii U.
Available via a DRM-free distribution method (for PC).

How much of that will go towards McCulloch's bail?

Kz3r0

Arcane
I have decided to discontinue the list of all funded projects above 100K, while has been an useful too to monitor the developing of the Kickstarter phenomenon now is simply unmanageable unless I start to develop some kind of automated tool, but non only I don't have the skills nor the will to do so it will be also pointless, this thread is not about data mining after all.

Studio Fawn

Studio Fawn
Developer
These little rules are not here to exonerate projects. It's not a good thing that Double Fine got carried away with its plans and spent itself into a corner. It's not awesome when a studio stupidly offers hundreds of special alarm clocks and wastes half the budget paying off FEDEX. It's sad that games can become financial black holes, and it's dishonest to say you need $50,000 when you need a million.

This boggles my mind. 4.5 million ? Why not simply create the core game...the game you KNOW you can make with that money, and THEN start adding on extras with the load of money still in the bank?

The thing is, people look at well known developers doing this and then think an "amateur" could never do anything with a small amount of money. Everything is blamed on mysterious forces of the industry, instead of just simply bad business. Now the mistakes of a few rogue developers in dealing with the public (and a huge pile of money) will reflect poorly on ALL of us developers (even the ones like me, who don't just sit in a chair and manage / design...but get down and do all the work for the game on no budget. EXTREMELY different type of development.)

baturinsky

Arcane
Will a good freeware game be funded on Kickstarter, if it does not promise any beads and mirrors to donators?

Turjan

Arcane
Will a good freeware game be funded on Kickstarter, if it does not promise any beads and mirrors to donators?
No idea. I only went for the digital games rewards with all projects I backed, but I assume I'm not a representative Kickstarter pledger.

I think there are a lots of pitfalls with physical rewards. One obvious rule is to let the backers pay for shipping. Including shipping costs in your pledge sum is just plain stupid. The other thing is to stick to rewards you know the costs of. Something like T-shirts is quite safe, as you know the costs pretty well. Admittedly, tees are not really exciting. Even a physical box for your game is already somewhat tricky. An established developer/publisher might have some idea here, but these things can get expensive.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom