Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Kickstarter Watch.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt

Kz3r0

Arcane
Added to the Strategy Game section, unfortunately all things Russia related have little luck on Kickstarter.
I liked their self-parodying video ("the previous game was not very polished... that's a bad thing"), but that's about it. Their executive producer Taras Gogol sounds like he has a fake name based on the short novel Taras Bulba by Nikolai Gogol.
I think that Igor is a fake name too.

In other news FORCED was released:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/betadwarf/forced/comments

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/astrobasecommand/astrobase-command?ref=category

Astrobase Command is a character-driven survival and building simulation in a 70's sci-fi setting.
Added to Space Simulators., will fail tho.

9313bf47c7e7eca45b24a83765072750_large.png

The reactor graphics seem be lifted directly from Tyrian (where they were actually weapons).

Kz3r0

Arcane
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/astrobasecommand/astrobase-command?ref=category

Astrobase Command is a character-driven survival and building simulation in a 70's sci-fi setting.
Added to Space Simulators., will fail tho.

9313bf47c7e7eca45b24a83765072750_large.png

The reactor graphics seem be lifted directly from Tyrian (where they were actually weapons).
In the sense of imitation or in the sense of pretending they have some work alredy done with footage or assts of another game?

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
In the sense of imitation or in the sense of pretending they have some work alredy done with footage or assts of another game?
The weapons below from Tyrian seem identical to the ones in the screenshot. They might be placeholders. The ones I haven't included below (such as those two blue ones at the left) were not in Tyrian.

F_Zica_Laser.GIF
F_Laser.GIF
SK_Mini-Missile.GIF
F_Mega_Cannon.GIF

Kz3r0

Arcane
Hardware Section
GCW-Zero: Open Source Gaming Handheld for emulation.
Oculus Rift: Step Into the Game Virtual Reality for the masses.
OUYA: A New Kind of Video Game Console Game console for playing phones&tablets games on a HD TV, it's an open platform for game development too.
GameStick: The Most Portable TV Games Console Ever Created It's all in the name.

castAR: the most versatile AR & VR system 3D holographic like projections in AR, fully immersive environments in VR.
Glyph: A Mobile Personal Theater With Built In Premium Audio slim version of the occulus rift

CLANG Sword fighting simulator using motion sensor controller, picked up quite some interest. Update: demoted for running out of money.
iControlPad 2 - The open source controller For any device using Bluetooth or USB.UPDATE: Demoted for not delivering, possible scam.

Last edited:

cutterjohn

Cipher
Hardware Section

Sorry to say, but I used to be quite behind this, however what eventually came is generally a useless pile of shit unless (a) you like halfassed firmware and (b) are willing to put up with having to physically modify to actually make it work.

e.g. D-pad is sticky as fuckall which makes it USELESS for gaming.

I'd hardly call the Zero green, more like glaring RED. I should've known that the project was well and truly fucked with Justin lying all of the time about shipment dates for the original pre-KS orders, and then the crap that actually was shipped. I regret EVERY single groat that I put into this steaming pile.

Really IF you want a handheld, either buy a PS Vita or 3DS for a few more dollars, or build something yourself out of parts and an existing sbc, e.g. rpi...

Fortunately for me this is the ONLY project that truly and totally fucked up.

[EDIT]
It's more that they're shipping LOW quality prototypes, as in such low quality that I've NEVER seen anything this bad before outside of maybe one or two that were just built as proofs of concept... Justin still hasn't managed to get his thumb fully extracted even in shipping yet either. Just ask the people in Europe and elsewhere that had their shipment turned around at the border...

This project, that I had such hopes for has turned into a sick joke. i.e. 2+y ago the hw was pretty decent, but now?! For the price and quality, it's not even close. Even the Dingoo A320 as originally shipped was a superior product qualitywise, although admittedly it was also a bit underspecced at release, but nothing like the Zero is right now.

Do yourself a favor AVOID this thing like the plague UNLESS a miracle happens, but I gave up on that around last March as the litany of lies continued on endlessly...
[/EDIT]

Last edited:

Kz3r0

Arcane
Hardware Section

Sorry to say, but I used to be quite behind this, however what eventually came is generally a useless pile of shit unless (a) you like halfassed firmware and (b) are willing to put up with having to physically modify to actually make it work.

e.g. D-pad is sticky as fuckall which makes it USELESS for gaming.

I'd hardly call the Zero green, more like glaring RED. I should've known that the project was well and truly fucked with Justin lying all of the time about shipment dates for the original pre-KS orders, and then the crap that actually was shipped. I regret EVERY single groat that I put into this steaming pile.

Really IF you want a handheld, either buy a PS Vita or 3DS for a few more dollars, or build something yourself out of parts and an existing sbc, e.g. rpi...

Fortunately for me this is the ONLY project that truly and totally fucked up.

[EDIT]
It's more that they're shipping LOW quality prototypes, as in such low quality that I've NEVER seen anything this bad before outside of maybe one or two that were just built as proofs of concept... Justin still hasn't managed to get his thumb fully extracted even in shipping yet either. Just ask the people in Europe and elsewhere that had their shipment turned around at the border...

This project, that I had such hopes for has turned into a sick joke. i.e. 2+y ago the hw was pretty decent, but now?! For the price and quality, it's not even close. Even the Dingoo A320 as originally shipped was a superior product qualitywise, although admittedly it was also a bit underspecced at release, but nothing like the Zero is right now.

Do yourself a favor AVOID this thing like the plague UNLESS a miracle happens, but I gave up on that around last March as the litany of lies continued on endlessly...
[/EDIT]
What a mess, seems that the Harware section has a very high level of failure.
OUYA turned out to be a huge disappointment.
CLANG has run out of funds.
iControlPad 2 Seems to be a scam.
GameStick seems to have its fare share of problems too.
Oculus Rift seems the only one doing fine, except for not supporting next-gen consoles.
I am seriously thinking of not listing hardware projects anymore.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Well, just logged in to the Kickstarter page to look at what I pledged for Project Eternity and thus got a good look at the amount of pledges I made and just what kind of money I threw at them. And fuck me, it's not pretty. I love games and have loved them since I was 8 years old and my parents got an MSX home computer. Now I'm 35, have hardly got time in my schedule to play the more interesting looking ones and have build up a huge backlog. So what the fuck am I doing pledging for 35 projects? Spending close to a 1000 euro on them? I started with pledging hoping to see some incline in one of my favourite genres. A genre that had pretty much died in the last decade, not to mention that I percieved this as a way to take control away from the suits and back into the hands of the geeks that once made gaming such an exciting hobby. While I really like the promise Kickstarter holds I also have to look with some scrutiny of just how many of these projects actually have turned into a gaming experience I would've paid the amount I pledged for in retail. And frankly? So far that is none. That's partly because a lot of these projects haven't been released yet but the ones that have so far are all lacking as far as I'm concerned. Perhaps I was too enthousiastic. Perhaps I'm just suffering from Kickstarter fatigue. Perhaps I'm just a guy who realises he hardly has time to game anymore. Whatever the case, something has to be pretty damn spectacular to get me to pledge from now on. If I'll do it at all.

Hope games like Elite, Dead State, Project Eternity, Troment, Star Citizen, The Banner Saga and despite me having a very bad feeling for this, Wasteland 2, will come through for being the handfull of projects that got me interested in the whole pledging phenomenom in the first place.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
I dunno, for me it's not just about getting games to play out of it. It's more like making sure that there are alternatives to play besides banal AAA-trash for everyone. And I did have a lot of fun with some very small-sized projects on Kickstarter so far, so I'm not all that burned out. More cautious than shortly after the DF adventure craze, but I still see it as a useful tool. Even when it comes to games like Shadowrun Returns. For all its faults, I think we're better of with it existing than not

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
The Diviner looks kinda interesting -- it's basically an illustrated text-based CYOA RPG:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1871839191/the-diviner

Its inspirations seem to be a bit all over the place though, from Wasteland and Fallout New Vegas to Diablo and Pokemon, not to mention Bioware-style romances.
I will wait before add this, by the look of it seems a scam to me or maybe is genuine retardation, let' see if proves to be something feasible.

Eh, it's just a CYOA basically -- probably not a scam 'cause it's not like CYOAs need a lot of money. It does reek of Biowarean stupidity though, so whatever.

Funded, by the way. With 9 days left to go.

Kz3r0

Arcane
The Diviner looks kinda interesting -- it's basically an illustrated text-based CYOA RPG:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1871839191/the-diviner

Its inspirations seem to be a bit all over the place though, from Wasteland and Fallout New Vegas to Diablo and Pokemon, not to mention Bioware-style romances.
I will wait before add this, by the look of it seems a scam to me or maybe is genuine retardation, let' see if proves to be something feasible.

Eh, it's just a CYOA basically -- probably not a scam 'cause it's not like CYOAs need a lot of money. It does reek of Biowarean stupidity though, so whatever.

Funded, by the way. With 9 days left to go.
All right I will add it.

stony3k

Augur
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I dunno, for me it's not just about getting games to play out of it. It's more like making sure that there are alternatives to play besides banal AAA-trash for everyone. And I did have a lot of fun with some very small-sized projects on Kickstarter so far, so I'm not all that burned out. More cautious than shortly after the DF adventure craze, but I still see it as a useful tool. Even when it comes to games like Shadowrun Returns. For all its faults, I think we're better of with it existing than not
Some of the small Kickstarters were actually the best, for instance Crayon Chronicles was a very neat baby's first roguelike that I pledged $1 and got more than my money's worth. Shadowrun Returns might still turn out to be good, depending on the Berlin expansion but even otherwise it's better than a lot of AAA trash.

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
That does seem like some delicious drama - it's a shame that their forums are backer-only.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom