Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Kickstarter Watch.

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
Speaking of Lovecraft...

Mark of the Old Ones - a Metroidvanian adventure

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1168767162/mark-of-the-old-ones-a-metroidvanian-adventure

'Mark of the Old Ones' (MotOO) is a 2.5D Metroidvania physics platformer. Inspired by some of our favorite games such as Metroid and Zelda, as well as by the mythos of HP Lovecraft. We modernize the classics by adding dynamic inverse kinematic animation to the mix; giving you the ability to explore and interact with the game world in ways that you never have before, in ways that will quickly become natural to your fingers, brain, and gamer soul.

The video is pretty freaky so it might be worth a look and it has a demo to test on 3 platforms. You will need one of those analog controller thingies to play it, which counts me out. Thought I'd mention it, because was made on the C4 Engine. Go C4!

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Speaking of Lovecraft...
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1168767162/mark-of-the-old-ones-a-metroidvanian-adventure
Mark of the Old Ones - a Metroidvanian adventure

'Mark of the Old Ones' (MotOO) is a 2.5D Metroidvania physics platformer. Inspired by some of our favorite games such as Metroid and Zelda, as well as by the mythos of HP Lovecraft. We modernize the classics by adding dynamic inverse kinematic animation to the mix; giving you the ability to explore and interact with the game world in ways that you never have before, in ways that will quickly become natural to your fingers, brain, and gamer soul.

The video is pretty freaky so it might be worth a look and it has a demo to test on 3 platforms. You will need one of those analog controller thingies to play it, which counts me out. Thought I'd mention it, because was made on the C4 Engine. Go C4!
I was hoping this was going to be a subversion of Metroid. Instead of just murdering everything in your path you'd have to focus on avoidance. Lovecraft doesn't have much appeal to me if I'm not playing a mostly helpless human.

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
I was hoping this was going to be a subversion of Metroid. Instead of just murdering everything in your path you'd have to focus on avoidance. Lovecraft doesn't have much appeal to me if I'm not playing a mostly helpless human.

What I liked about their programmer, despite him being pressured by his employer to use Unity, he bucked the trend simply because he thinks C4's engineering is superior. He was under a lot of pressure and it showed in his demands on the forums, but because of him we got better asset import. Don't know if he had any input into the design of the game though, but if he did the game would be better for it.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
What I liked about their programmer, despite him being pressured by his employer to use Unity, he bucked the trend simply because he thinks C4's engineering is superior. He was under a lot of pressure and it showed in his demands on the forums, but because of him we got better asset import. Don't know if he had any input into the design of the game though, but if he did the game would be better for it.
The game looks incredible and very fluid. So he probably made the right choice. Unfortunately, the concept just doesn't appeal to me.

Kz3r0

Arcane
The Kickstarter just got funded: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/947226117/the-red-solstice/

http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/947226117/the-red-solstice/#chart-daily

A93ZpLu.png

:hmmm:
Doesn't bode well that they selfpledged to get the money.

Kz3r0

Arcane
Why college kids and hipsters cannot be trusted in a nutshell.

Let's take a look:
I made a fan game, so I thought, “How much harder could it be to make a real game?”
I got good grades in school, can I get a Nobel prize please?

In Super Mario Bros. Crossover (SMBC), I didn’t have to worry about art, music, sound effects, level design, enemy design, or much game design, and the levels were very small with no vertical scrolling or slopes. The originality in SMBC came from piecing things together in an elegant way, and I didn’t realize how much more difficult it would be to come up with compelling ideas from scratch
Why Atlas Shrugged is such a shitty book, you need real work to make great things, your 'superior intellect and taste' means shit otherwise.

Originally, I thought I was going to be able to save a lot of time by porting the SMBC code to Unity, but Unity is such a different platform from Flash
The Flash plague strikes again, yeah, why different tools work differently? What a mistery.
How it was? Oh yeah, if you make a system that even an idiot can use only an idiot will use it.
Turns out that the Atlas Shrugged paradigm failed again, without craft there is no art, all these fancy tools easy to use instead of uleashing creativity have unleashed countless morons convinced to be so smart and creative.

I promised a big project without realizing how big it was
What every executive knows, grand ideas come cheap but go away in a very expensive manner.
This is also a typical case of project creators getting carried away by their own Kikstarter.

We realized this scope problem after a few months and decided to release the project in parts. However, even making part of the game was taking a long time, so we decided to break it up into even smaller parts
Typical, when idealists are faced with reality fall back on the most retrive practiceses that they always shunned because they don't know better.

This is tied to not understanding the scope of the game properly. When development takes a long time, cost goes up. Money buys people and time
As the old says goes, time is money, Marx says the same too, but I guess in Randdroidand these are insignificant details.

I don’t think having more money in the beginning would have helped us a lot because we probably wouldn’t have known how to use it properly
Are there someone still convinced that lack of experience is not a problem?

It is difficult to motivate people to work when you are not able to pay them.
My, this is a subversive thought.

I kept asking problem team members to work harder, and we would have weekly meetings to discuss it,
Behold the plague of Discuss!!!
Hint, if the discuss takes so much time it means that isn't working.

After this experience, I am not sure it is even possible to form a strong game development team without being able to pay everyone a liveable wage
Beware, you have gone full Communist here.

We were locked into Unity as a development platform because we promised to release on Windows, Mac, Linux, iOS, Android, and OUYA, and Unity is one of the few game engines that supports all of them. I assumed that since I was experienced in Flash, which is a tool that is not made specifically for game development, that it would have to be a lot easier for me to make games with Unity, because it is a game engine. Making some types of games might be easy with Unity, but it is definitely not the ideal tool for 2D platformers.
Yeah, after games playing themselves the next logical step is game engines making games for you on their own.

I think Unity is probably a good tool for new or amateur developers, and some professionals may like it, but it certainly did not live up to my expectations
Says the grizzled veteran.

Since I had never designed a full game before, I didn’t realize how little design work had actually been done on the game before launching the Kickstarter.
Unfortunately this is the norm.

One thing that I learned is that backers do not like change.
Yeah, while people asking for a steack should be pissed off by getting tofu instead?

Some of the unfulfilled promises, e.g. the documentary, weren’t even my fault, because their fulfillment depended on other people. Despite that, I still feel pain and disappointment from these unfulfilled promises.
Poor kid, see, he is not responsible, it's other people's fault, he ven felt pain, such a noble person, I guess that this is what we get from the 'deferred success' school of thought.

Before starting this project, I was very excited to have backers.
Trolling criticisms flowed in whether I posted updates or not: It was not a fun position to be in. I know that I did not handle things perfectly, but I did the best I could.
Trolling, such a horrible, horrible thing, how anyone can handle it?

Things started to get very strange when it seemed that some of our backers were actively trying to stop us from succeeding.
I was incredibly shocked to find that one of our backers was writing a blog that is all about us running a scam
Yeah, it's all about little precious you, why people are so mean? You only took their money.

I don’t know if this is because I am too sensitive, or I just really care about making the backers happy. I take feedback to heart, and I have done everything within my power to make these people happy,
It's the inention tha counts after all, AMIRITE?

At least all of the backers that wrote such mean-spirited things can feel good knowing how badly their comments hurt me.
Pouting?!?!??!?!
How fucking old you are?
Probably a Tranny/KKKodex

Many backers seemed to have no patience for anything going wrong, and to me, it seems to stem from a misunderstanding of what Kickstarter is all about
Sadly he is right, Kickstarter indeed is all about giving money to college kids from its very inception, anyone expecting something more is a greedy and calous individual.

The thing is though, knowing what I know now, I would never have launched a Kickstarter for this game as my first project. It makes little sense for a team with little to no experience that has never worked together to try to make a big game.
Words of wisdom, what was Kickstarter all about again?

Having a team that cannot do what you need is worse than not having a team. Also, it is better to have a small team of full-time people than to have a large team of part-time people. I would have had more success making the game by myself and contracting people only for art and music. With such a small amount of money though, it would be really hard to find skilled and hard-working people.
What a revolutionary way of thinking.

Despite all of this, I don’t feel like this project has gone badly or is a failure.
This is the problem here.

We still believe the game will be awesome, and we would love to take another shot at it when we are in circumstances that will give us a better chance of success.
You watched too much shitty movies kid.

I do not know exactly what to do for backers of this project. Feel free to give us your suggestions
How about giving back the money or delivering what you have promised?
I know, I am edgy like that.

Last edited:

80Maxwell08

Arcane
Why do people not get that for the most part trolls are almost always a symptom of a much bigger problem. Or not getting when people are trolling or being serious.

Kz3r0

Arcane
https://www.kickstarter.com/project...ocalyptic-tokyo-adventure-visual?ref=category

A PC adventure/visual novel hybrid inspired by Ace Attorney and Zero escape games set in post-apocalyptic Japan

Inspired by Ace Attorney and Zero Escape games, Exogenesis ~Perils of Rebirth~ is an ADVENTURE GAME/VISUAL NOVEL HYBRID which combines the point-and-click gameplay of adventure games with the heavy focus on storytelling found in visual novels.

Many hours of gameplay - With 6 planned chapters spanning over 150,000 words, as well as numerous puzzles to solve, Exogenesis promises at least 20+ hours of gameplay
Important moral choices that effect how the story plays out – By hook or by crook, your dead sister must be reborn!
High replay value with multiple endings and branching story paths
Memorable cast of characters whose fates are determined by your decisions
Stunning rendition of post-apocalyptic Japan with real-life landmarks
Mysterious, intricate plots both personal and of larger scale
Mind-boggling, thematic puzzles - Contextual puzzles that make sense and aren't just there for the heck of it
Character interrogation - Gather physical and circumstantial evidence and use those as leverage in recruiting your former comrades

demo
http://www.mediafire.com/download/rq9bc24gqtarl6z/Exogenesis_v0.19-all.zip

music
https://soundcloud.com/exogenesis-game

Do NOT watch the pitch video.
Most hideous thing I've ever seen.

Maybe I'm just too wishful for this.
Will try the demo during the weekend.
Whomever is interested in this brofist Kaizoku post, at least five for adding it.

kaizoku

Arcane
Whomever is interested in this brofist Kaizoku post, at least five for adding it.

That is actually a good filter when adding KS projects to the list.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom