Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Kickstarter Watch.

Kz3r0

Arcane
The Way
Funded!

Pantalones

Prospernaut
Grim Comment about Code Hero.

Fellow backers,

Every so often I visit this page, hoping to hear of news and developments that might have moved Code Hero towards benefiting others. At this point, I don't think anyone would want to be Alex Peake, and I don't think there's any positive outcome from continued criticism, even if it's constructive.

Alex owes many people money, and many more people a dream they bought into. His vision drew the attention of thousands, and then soured the hopes of thousands. He appears to have made a number of unfortunate decisions, and now it's not clear to any of us what good might come of the funding we offered him.

His team suffers turnover, his code has possibly insurmountable technical debt, and to this day he's unable to promise us any sort of schedule or end product. A postmortem of the project would likely chronicle a series of mistakes due to inexperience, and a transition into silence to avoid the hard questions that still go unanswered. Those seeking to learn more of his endeavors before Code Hero will find a trail of interesting ideas which suffered much the same fate. As a developer, I sympathize with his dilemma, and forgive him for his ambitions. As a backer, I worry that his history of mismanagement will deny him the opportunity to realize a truly worthy idea. It's clear to me that Alex could have been a very sincere, honest programmer with an idea he believed in, who should never have been thrust into a position of management, much less allowed to shoulder responsibilities he wasn't ready to handle.

We're left with a project we can't know will deliver, which has taken money we can't expect to get back, to produce an incomplete product we're not allowed to have. There are those of us whose money may have been better spent, who could have provided opportunities to other projects. For most of us, our money has gone into teaching Alex that writing software is hard, and starting a successful software company is much, much harder.

I'm mostly okay with this. My $13.37 was well spent. But I think we do have a responsibility to make sure Alex is ready before he takes on another grand idea. For those of you who remember his biography (the website appears to be down again), I'd recommend Alex go back to school and get the programming degree he wasn't convinced he needed, and find the humbling entry-level industry job he doesn't seem to have had. He'll want a team of industry veterans to tell him that $170k is less than a tenth of the budget for an MMO, and people with project management experience to turn his visions into tractable milestones.

Which is to say, I can't say that Alex Peake is ready to make this game. In my opinion, it would be unfair to both him and us to believe otherwise. The best thing we can do for him now, is to help him prepare for his desired role, even if that means holding him back until he is truly able to live up to expectations.

Be kind. We don't need to be hurtful to help, and we certainly don't need to keep pushing Alex along the pipe dream we don't believe in.

Sincerely,
Jonathan

The funny/delusional part on this one was the "with 200k we can make it into an MMO!". Well, the most delusional part of a super delusional kickstarter.

Legally speaking, I wonder what will happen. I guess so long as you release some sort of game you should be able to avoid jail time.

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...me-that-teaches-you-to-make-games-he/comments

Pantalones

Prospernaut
Things are not going well. There has been no forward progress on the game, although there has been hard work put in trying to get the project back on track. Michael, a backer and friend and programmer, has been volunteering his time to dig into the code and try and see why no one has been able to get a version of the game to compile that even matches the unfinished state it was in when Jonathan (the original programmer) left.

Michael has been unable to get a working version of the game to compile. He reached out directly to Jonathan for help. When Jonathan tried to get the game working from the current code, he also failed. He could not get a version of the game to work either, even using his own computer and expertise. He has not responded to additional requests for aid or insight into solving this very huge problem.

I don’t have the technical expertise to understand exactly how that could be. Michael, who does have the technical expertise, is also at a bit of a loss, other than the fact that the shifting code base of the Go programming language combined with either changes in Lua or OpenGL libraries created some crippling incompatibility that Michael can’t track down and which apparently foiled even Jonathan’s attempt to create a working version.

With things that screwed up, some sort of more drastic action is called for. I’m still weighing my options, but there have been some parties who’ve expressed an interest in taking a crack at the problem. Or possibly we might take the art assets and design and try and use them in a whole other game engine.

Financially I’m way in the hole on this project. I did not take any payment during development and put thousands of my own dollars into the company. I’m still paying for things like taxes and accounting fees out of my own pocket at this point. I also now have started a job, since I can no longer afford to drain my savings to work on Haunts, especially given how far off any kind of income from the projects seems.

I have been giving refunds as people request them, and will continue to do so as best as I can afford it. If you want your money back, send me an email through Kickstarter and I can refund you through Paypal. Kickstarter doesn’t process refunds and Amazon Services will require me to send them an email request for each refund since it has been more than 60 days, so Paypal is definitely the fastest way.

I’m sorry this has all gone to hell. I still hope for some kind of Haunts something, but there’s no longer an obvious path from here to there. Instead I’m left looking for less obvious paths. I am personally mortified at how things have turned out and I beg your forgiveness. Rick

Holy moley. Latest update for Manse Macabre! I don't see how these games that ask for 10k or 20k to make a game can be taken seriously. Maybe for a 2 hour platformer that's already has a demo ready.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2066438441/haunts-the-manse-macabre/posts

Pantalones

Prospernaut
“Haunts is written in Go, a new and quickly evolving programming language developed at Google to address certain programming challenges that are important to the kind of work they do. There is nothing special in Go that makes it particularly well suited to video games, but on the other hand there is nothing inherent in the language that makes it a bad choice, except for the fact that it's new and not well supported. Anyway, one of the neat features of Go is that it is designed to take advantage of distributed code development and reuse of code developed by other people. It's a slightly hacky feature, IMO, but it works.
Basically, there is no master "script" that tells the compiler how all the bits of code relate to each other. Instead, that information is embedded directly in the files themselves. So rather than, for example, specifying a folder that contains your "headers", you actually embed in your program an absolute path to github, google, or some other file-sharing repository, and the Go compiler will find the code and build it into your program. If you want to use OpenGL for rendering graphics, you can search the internet for someone who has already built a version of OpenGL for Go, and put import ("github.com/go-gl/opengl/gl") directly into your code. Viola! Thus hilarity ensues.

Because of course that's not how it really works. Instead, it makes a local copy of that external library. And if you have a local copy, you can edit it. And meanwhile, that person you copied the OpenGL code from? They are also changing their version (fixing bugs, adding features, adding bugs). Therefore there is no guarantee that your version and their version remain compatible: it takes work to maintain compatibility. So when you decide to share development of your project with other people, while "in theory" Go lets you just share the main code, which tells you where to get the imported code, in practice it takes more work than that, because we have to ensure we get the same versions. And that's where Go's feature is kinda hacky. Because it doesn't have a mechanism for doing that.

So this is how the Go language works. For those who don't understand programming, this can NEVER WORK. It's like sharing a CVS repository with random strangers (bad enough) that has no way to revert to old versions. I am shocked that even the hipsters at google would try to popularize thys stygian horror.

Kz3r0

Arcane
Codex Pet Projects
The projects that got Codex attention the most.
Dead State: The Zombie Survival RPG Double Bear(Annie and Brian Mitsoda) zombie RPG.
Divinity: Original Sin Next RPG in the Divinity series featuring classic turn-based combat, non-linear SP campaign with optional coop and a unique RPG editor.
Expeditions: Conquistador Party-based, exploration-fueled RPG, tactical turn-based combat, "a touch of strategic resource management," and an element of choose-your-own-adventure with choices and consequences.
Grimoire : Heralds of the Winged Exemplar+ Grimoire Forever
Legends of Eisenwald From a band of larpers RPG/strategy game, presented as an errant knight simulator.
Project Eternity The Obsidian Kickstarter
Serpent in the Staglands Darklands-inspired pixel art RPG
Shadowrun Returns "A graphically rich 2D turn-based single player game with deep story interaction, meaningful character development, and highly-contextual tactical combat", almost too good to be true.
The Banner Saga Ex Bioware present a 2D turn-based tactical strategy/RPG hybrid that gets some love from the Codex, at the end consoles port is announced, drama ensues, explanations are given, all ends with hugs and kissies.
Wasteland 2 The new hope for old school.
Xenonauts Spiritual successor to the classic X-Com strategy games.
Shadowrun: Hong Kong

Torment: Tides of Numenera A story-driven CRPG crafted in the tradition of Planescape™: Torment & set in the world of Monte Cook's Numenera.
Barkley 2 - an RPG Sequel to Barkley Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden Chef Boyardee(Codexer) Kickstarter.
Dungeons of Aledorn Pirate-themed party-based RPD, first person exploration, third person hex-grid combat.
The Bard's Tale IV
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Copper Dreams A CRPG featuring cyber-espionage on the edge of the galaxy.
Stygian: Reign of the Old Ones. A Lovecraftian Computer Rpg.

Thorvalla Guido Henkel new project, maker of Realms of Arkania, and model for The Nameless One, together with Neal Hallford, Betrayal at Krondor.
Deathfire: Ruins of Nethermore Henkel new attempt.

Last edited:

buzz

Arcane
What's the point of keeping a fucking list if you're just going to tell people to check this thread, the previous pages and brofist the games they find interesting?

Kz3r0

Arcane
What's the point of keeping a fucking list if you're just going to tell people to check this thread, the previous pages and brofist the games they find interesting?
Fine, lifeless planet would not be added, because it wasn't signaled, I don't know about it and I don't care, and the whole point of a list is for people to check, if that is too troublessome use the search function.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Codex Pet Projects
The projects that got Codex attention the most.
Expeditions: Conquistador Party-based, exploration-fueled RPG, tactical turn-based combat, "a touch of strategic resource management," and an element of choose-your-own-adventure with choices and consequences.
Shadowrun Returns "A graphically rich 2D turn-based single player game with deep story interaction, meaningful character development, and highly-contextual tactical combat", almost too good to be true.
The Banner Saga Ex Bioware present a 2D turn-based tactical strategy/RPG hybrid that gets some love from the Codex, at the end consoles port is announced, drama ensues, explanations are given, all ends with hugs and kissies.
Xenonauts Spiritual successor to the classic X-Com strategy games.

Torment: Tides of Numenera A story-driven CRPG crafted in the tradition of Planescape™: Torment & set in the world of Monte Cook's Numenera.
Project Eternity The Obsidian Kickstarter
Wasteland 2 The new hope for old school.
Divinity: Original Sin Next RPG in the Divinity series featuring classic turn-based combat, non-linear SP campaign with optional coop and a unique RPG editor.
Dead State: The Zombie Survival RPG Double Bear(Annie and Brian Mitsoda) zombie RPG.
Legends of Eisenwald From a band of larpers RPG/strategy game, presented as an errant knight simulator.
Barkley 2 - an RPG Sequel to Barkley Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden Chef Boyardee(Codexer) Kickstarter.

Thorvalla Guido Henkel new project, maker of Realms of Arkania, and model for The Nameless One, together with Neal Hallford, Betrayal at Krondor.
Deathfire: Ruins of Nethermore Henkel new attempt.

You could also add Serpent in the Staglands to the Codex pet projects. We even did a fundraiser and a contest for it.

himmy

Arcane
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/06/08/insomnia-post-apocalypse-fallout/

Unfortunately, the Kickstarter ultimately met its untimely end in the dank, art deco-rated tunnels of obscurity, pulling in only a small fraction of the $70,000 it needed. Part of that, developer MONO contends, is due to miscommunications on what exactly the game entails. It’s about to launch another Kickstarter, but before it does that, it wants to clear a few things up. New trailer and details below.

[...]

InSomnia is an atmospheric single-player\co-op RPG, set in the dieselpunk, apocalyptic universe, “living” open world sandbox & realtime, tactical gameplay. InSomnia will send you into murky retro-futuristic universe of metal jungles permeated by Noir and Dieselpunk.​

Pantalones

Prospernaut

Unfortunately, the Kickstarter ultimately met its untimely end in the dank, art deco-rated tunnels of obscurity, pulling in only a small fraction of the $70,000 it needed. Part of that, developer MONO contends, is due to miscommunications on what exactly the game entails. It’s about to launch another Kickstarter, but before it does that, it wants to clear a few things up. New trailer and details below.

[...]

InSomnia is an atmospheric single-player\co-op RPG, set in the dieselpunk, apocalyptic universe, “living” open world sandbox & realtime, tactical gameplay. InSomnia will send you into murky retro-futuristic universe of metal jungles permeated by Noir and Dieselpunk.​

Good artwork but sounds liek a delusional project. Any kind of coop or MMO is not realistic for some indie to make.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

[...]

We have a thread for this with the developer posting: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/insomnia-post-apocalyptic-dieselpunk-rpg.92064/

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Twilight Struggle Digital Edition

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/559431060/twilight-struggle-digital-edition

Why Digital?

GMT is attempting to bring Twilight Struggle to digital platforms due to the overwhelming demand by our core fans. With this Kickstarter campaign, we are able to share in this experience with you, our fans, and allow you to help us make this a reality! To help us with the digital development, we have partnered with Playdek, who will be able to guide us through this process and who we feel will do Twilight Struggle justice with this electronic version of the game.

By moving to digital platforms, players will have more freedom playing the game than the physical board game allows. The digital version will include a game tutorial to help players understand the game fairly quickly, AI opponents to allow you to sharpen your skills, pass-and-play multiplayer, and both asynchronous and real-time online play so you always have a way to fit playing time in!

Twilight Struggle - What If?

To help us out with this Kickstarter campaign, Ananda Gupta and Jason Matthews have come together once more to create a new expansion for Twilight Struggle called Twilight Struggle: What If?! This expansion is going to be brand new, and you will be able to receive a digital copy, a physical copy, or even both depending on your backer tier!

Twilight Struggle: What If? is a new mini-expansion that lets players explore alternate starting situations for the two superpowers. What if Chiang's forces had held on in southern China? What if Churchill's Tories had won re-election in 1945? And what if the Western Allies had crossed the bridge too far, and reached Berlin first? These and other possibilities that alter the opening setup in Twilight Struggle are now open to players. Both seasoned veterans and new arrivals will enjoy the many new plays and dilemmas introduced here for the first time. This expansion will contain 8 cards, one set of charts and tables, and the rules on how to play with the expansion.

Already funded.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/linceworks/twin-souls

A dark 3rd person stealth game about an undead warrior with the power to control the shadows. PC/Mac/Linux.

9c523ad0f3381f8505072c38882850ee_large.gif

Stealth game with a nice art style. Turned off by 3rd person though.

Kz3r0

Arcane

[...]

I saw that they are on greenlight but I didn't find the Kickstarter, is yet to launch I guess.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom