Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Kickstarter Watch.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
From the Codex inbox:

Psilocybe Games just launched its debut game on Kickstarter. Pigsodus will be an point and click adventure with RPG and arcade elements. Set in Alaskan woods, drawn in pixel art, the game will feature a typing-based fighting system, procedurally generated words, and enchanting story kept in comedy-drama convention.
You play as Horace Oinstein - a pig that discovers the true face of the farm he was living in. After his loved ones are taken away and imprisoned he escapes the butcher's truck and swears revenge.

Demo Win: http://pigsodus.com/secret/pigsoduswin.rar
Demo Mac: http://pigsodus.com/secret/pigsodusmac.zip

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsWCl0WyAH0
Screenshots and logos: http://pigsodus.com/press/press.rar

Our KS campaign (launched week ago):
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1536354140/pigsodus-the-ultimate-pig-adventure-game

Greenlight
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=723634522

Indiedb:
http://www.indiedb.com/games/pigsodus/

It would be great if you could cover or mention our game.

Regards,
Jerry

hajro

Arbiter
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/84288219/diabotical-by-the-gd-studio
An arena shooter from James "Ass" Harding :mixedemotions:
Over the last two years we've grown from an esport media house to a game studio focused on creating competitive games. We’re now working towards bringing back old-school competitive FPS as popularized by games like Quake and Unreal Tournament.

Diabotical in a nutshell:

• The best bits of the genre, improved and fine-tuned by ex-pros
  • Classic and new game modes for both solo and team play
  • Plenty of cosmetic customization
  • In-house engine, multi-user map editor and modding support
  • Extensive community and esport features
  • The game will be on Steam for Windows at around the $10-15 mark
  • 10-12 months left in development, closed beta asap

Venser

Erudite

Backed.

Anyone here got this reference? :

8ClOxId.jpg

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Armored Core board game finds success on Kickstarter, then drops Armored Core name
With 15 days left in the campaign

Board game maker Bad Crow Games launched a Kickstarter campaign last month to fund a real-time strategy tabletop game based on From Software’s Armored Core. Although the crowdfunding campaign for Armored Core RTS quickly found success, raising more than three times Bad Crow’s $75,000 goal, the developer now says it’s dropping the Armored Core name from its board game.

Bad Crow Games president Aaron Gabrielson broke the news to backers on July 31 (about halfway through the crowdfunding campaign), saying his company’s Armored Core board game will be called Mech Command RTS instead.

"The license holders for the game franchise have final approval authority over everything that is produced," Gabrielson wrote in an update. "We have reason to be concerned that our planned stretch rewards and other game content will be delayed as it goes through a complex approval process. We also underestimated the degree of miscommunication caused by the language barrier as we work with the license holders in Japan.

"This name change removes any uncertainty and allows us to deliver the entire game on schedule."

Armored Core RTS was originally pitched as a real-time strategy board game that "captures the speed of the video games in a smooth, accurate and action-packed flow that's compressed into a series of 20 minute missions." The officially licensed board game was said to be in development for more than two years in an attempt to be faithful to the franchise.

The Kickstarter campaign’s stretch goal rewards included additional mech miniatures, a double-sided game board and weapon sets for mechs.

In response to backers upset by the loss of the Armored Core brand, Gabrielson said that the change won’t have a major impact on the way the game plays.

"The good news is very little of our design work needs to be modified," he said. "The most significant change is on the box. The innovative game mechanics and quality of components is the same as before."

side_by_side.jpg

Mech Command RTS vs. Armored Core RTS

Addressing another backer, Gabrielson said the decision to drop the Armored Core license "was not taken lightly."

"If there was any other feasible option we would take it," he said. "As it stands, we have lost confidence that the game could ever be created without this change. However, we maintain a good relationship with the license holders and hope that we can make it happen in the future."

Gabrielson stressed that Bad Crow Games will be "providing refunds for any reason, anytime" and that those who pledged are welcome to alter their contribution to the campaign.

Expect more details from Bad Crow Games at Gen Con 2016 later this week.

From Software’s other major franchise, Dark Souls, is also the subject of a crowdfunded board game. Steamforged Games’ Dark Souls: The Board Game raised $5 million on Kickstarter earlier this year.

http://www.polygon.com/2016/8/1/123...me-kickstarter-from-software-mech-command-rts

Not shady at all. The new name never sounds like MechCommander.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Bad Crow Games president Aaron Gabrielson

Motherf--...! This is one of the assholes behind Serpent's Tongue!
EDIT: Looking through the comments, it looks like so are the others, including Christopher Gabrielson himself.

I almost feel sorry for the backers, but looking at how naive cute some of their comments are, all I can say is: dis gon' be gud.

Jaesun Kz3r0

Last edited:

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
I remember seeing the demo on Desure or some such place. Now it looks like a shitty Hyperlight Drifter clone, but it's actually quite interesting. /backed.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I stopped funding kickstarters because:

1. Some games I backed underdelivered.
2. I can just buy the game later on normally (even cheaper if I have the patience to wait for sales)
3. The company is an SJW nest and I don't want to fund them.
I just listed my pledges (in USD, I think I may have forgotten some project, here goes):

Whalenought - Copper Dreams 15
RSI - Star Citizen 25
Larian - D:OS 2 27
HBS - Shadowrun Returns 30
HBS - Battletech 50
inXile - Wasteland2 65
Obsidian - PoE 110
inXile Torment - 140

Not very wisely pledged. :prosper:

I expect to get most value for dollar from D:OS 2, provided that they do away with the inane writing and MCA is given an opportunit for an input big enough.

I am pretty fatigued.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/kenseto/halcyon-6-starbase-commander/posts/1651398
Halcyon 6 Dev Update: Road to Launch!
4 Comments
"">
36 likes
Hello backers!

Here's a super quick update on our launch plans:

We're leaving Early Access and launching Halcyon 6 on August 26th!

About a week before that, we'll have an early build including Act 2 and Act 3 for everyone to play. We'll likely be patching fast and furiously during that week so if you want to wait until the dust settles and play after launch, we totally understand that.

Mostly, we wanted to give our Early Access players an opportunity to try the full game a bit earlier.

As you recall, the Act 2 + 3 update will not support older saves. Our apologies but enough stuff was changed that it was simply not possible to keep the old save file structure intact.

Right now, we're working like crazy to get all of this ready for launch. Thanks to all of you who joined in our Kickstarter, we really the support and encouragement the last year and a half!

Thanks,
Halcyon 6 Team

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
So, Trine but worse. With pop-culture references/puns.

I wouldn't spend money to play it, but I'd certainly love a sarcastic LP of it.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Tabletop card game about battling for world supremacy during a cosmic apocalypse.
"Like floating into a maelstrom of excitement and wonder."
Minor variation on games named Noun: Nouns of Noun.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
ANOTHER Fallout: Nuka Break Kickstarter - "Tales from the Wasteland": https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/waysidecreations/fallout-nuka-break-tales-from-the-wasteland

Now with Chris Avellone AND Brian Fargo stretch goals!

More than two years later, MASSIVE drama: http://gameranx.com/updates/id/72809/article/wayside-creators-thrown-to-wayside/

Four of the Wayside Creators Thrown to the Wayside
A film production company that focuses on video game content had some internal strife and controversy, according to a video put out by four key members of the organization.

2WaysideCreationsHeader.png

Wayside Creations is a Film Production Company formed in 2009 by Vince Talenti and Zack Finfrock. Some of their more recent productions centered around video game series. The first one was a Legend of Grimrock project that launched a Kickstarter back in 2013, while the other was a Fallout related Kickstarter to continue one of their already established video series “Nuka Break” with a new installment, that launched in June 2014. The upcoming installment was intended to give more backstory to The Ranger character, and push the series forward.

Despite the success for both of these campaigns, it wouldn’t be smooth sailing. Many months have passed and people began to ask questions as to the state of these projects.

This led to a video uploaded recently, on one of the staff’s accounts. It’s unlisted, but once the news started to spread the link to it became more widely available nonetheless. People speaking in this video: Zack Finfrock created the Nuka Break series and co-founded the company. Tybee Diskin was involved in the company since the beginning and played Scarlett in the Nuka Break series. Cameron Diskin joined in 2011, was the Ranger on Nuka Break, and he helped develop the creative aspects of the project. Becca Hardy joined in early 2014, handling company wide communications in addition to having a creative development role.

A statement given by them to me intends to clear up any confusion about the problems revealed in this video.

We’ve seen a full spectrum of interpretations and ideas from the interwebz since the video dropped, which is to be expected. A lot of people are blaming Geek & Sundry, which was not our intention at all. From what we can tell, Wayside airing Nuka Break on G&S is a very recent partnership, and happened long after all the events we mention in the video transpired.

The individual investors who agreed to put money into the Legend of Grimrock Kickstarter (with the promise of money back plus interest) are also not to be blamed. They aren’t greedy vultures twirling their mustaches — looking at the contracts, most of them appear to be good friends and/or people who have worked on Wayside in the past. Who wouldn’t jump at an opportunity to make ~$1,000 for letting their savings sit in a Kickstarter for a few weeks? This decision to approach these people was not made by us, nor were we consulted about it. We don’t even know if it’s illegal/against Kickstarter’s rules; we just think it’s misleading and unethical and that our backers have a right to know.​

The core of what their opening statements say is that the name Wayside Creations may still exist, but the intentions of what the team wanted to do with the company has been lost. The focus in direction moved to getting more creators and financial investment into the business itself, rather than the content that’s put out. The four people speaking in this video were basically ousted from Wayside Creations because they asked questions like where the Kickstarter money went. As shareholders, three of the four people at the time this video was uploaded were adamant at the fact that it was their company.

They begin to go over what exactly happened to the Legend of Grimrock campaign. It came to their attention that investors put money into the campaign with the promise of their money back plus interest after it was finished. This leads $121,649 of funds raised turns to only $49,724 to actually make the product itself (after subtracting the $65750 plus $6625 paid out in interest). According to the people in the video, that number drops even further to somewhere between $30,000 and $40,000 after Amazon fees and other miscellaneous transaction costs are factored in.

Remember the fact that the group in this video were shareholders? Despite that, they weren’t allowed to access the accounting records for the company. The reason this group needed to make a video in the first place is because the latest Legend of Grimrock Kickstarter update implies that there was fraudulent behavior on their end.

Since that update hasn’t been made available to the public, I had to acquire a copy of it from a backer of the project. Below is what was said in “Following Up” on July 27th.

We’ve taken time to thoroughly evaluate the health of our project since our last update. And, we’ve come to the conclusion that filming in Minnesota is no longer a viable option. This is truly unfortunate as we’ve exhausted an incredible amount of time and resources. We built many bridges, worked with skilled individuals, and believed this was the correct path. The gorgeous locations, newly renovated sound stage, trusted connections, and tax incentives were just a few reasons why this made sense.However, we believe that the current state of the Chisholm, Minnesota film industry will prevent us from completing our project. Although we won’t comment on the events transpiring in the Iron Range, information is available online.This realization is undoubtedly heavy for us. We’ve certainly experienced delays and fought in the trenches before, but we have never encountered anything like this. We’ve been proudly producing crowd-funded content since 2011, and our inability to complete the project by this date was unforeseen.With all of this being said, we believe two options exist. Our immediate action is to forge a new path that allows us to complete the project in a reasonable amount of time from this point. We will work quickly to determine how to accomplish this as we want to see Grimrock finished. We also recognize that time has passed and many of the components of this project will inevitably change. Given this, if we can produce a quality product — the product you signed up for — we’ll proceed. If not, we’ll inform you and return the donations to our backers.We have a tremendous amount of respect for this property and our backers. As always, your patience has been appreciated more than we can express and we’re hoping to reward it.​

According to the speakers in the video, the initial Kickstarter money was pretty much “already gone” before the discussions with Minnesota folks even began. The producers they got in touch with were actually willing to put their own money forward to help make it happen. Becca wrote a film script for Chris Avellone’s treatment of Legend of Grimrock, but payment was withheld “until a budget came in” and that all the Kickstarter money was gone by that point.

They don’t know what the Kickstarter money was spent on.

When it comes to Fallout: Nuka Break – Tales from the Wasteland’s Kickstarter, the people in the video said production moved forward without them. With the Kickstarter money gone since “over a year ago,” according to them – it’s assumed that Geek & Sundry picked up the slack when they entered a partnership with Wayside Creations.

According to an update published on that page as of today, there is some counterclaims being made. Again I needed to obtain a copy of this from a backer of the project. From “Regarding Wayside Creators” on September 4th, 2016:

We’re writing to address the recent video created by a few former creatives of Wayside. Their decision to spread false information and paint an incomplete picture is an attempt to disrupt our progress and to hurt Wayside’s reputation. Each person has a unique history with the production company and it’s unfortunate that this is their course of action. Here’s information we feel is important to share:

Zack has not been involved with Wayside since late 2014 and relinquished the majority of his shares he had in the company following the release of the second season of Nuka Break. He was also not a creative on Red Star, the film that inspired this Kickstarter project. He has been working full-time as a creative producer for Loot Crate, a subscription box service. Last September, Zack stated that he was interested in signing his remaining Wayside shares away as he was a part of another company’s production team and had not been a part of Wayside since around the time he started working at Loot Crate. Cameron has only briefly been a part of Wayside’s projects since late 2014, and his role in Nuka Break was recast after he was unresponsive to several messages sent regarding his involvement. Becca was recently attached as a creative on an unannounced Wayside project until her agreement was ended in June for creative differences. Tybee left Wayside on cordial terms in May of 2015.

It’s clear, and unfortunate, that these individuals are upset over irreconcilable differences and recent Nuka Break announcements prompted the creation of their video. Regardless of the internal changes, the show must go on. Wayside has managed multiple crowd-funding campaigns in the past and released work that we hoped exceeded the expectations of backers. We believe the resolution is to continue doing the work we’ve always done. Wayside’s brand was not founded solely on four people. The look, feel, and quality of our work has been crafted by several talents — various actors, writers, cinematographers, producers, production designers, directors, costumers — and the support of our backers, partners, and other companies. Simply put, we ask that you judge us based on our product.​

Despite these claims, there’s evidence indicating that the individuals named in the Kickstarter update had active involvement in the company on some level. They outlined that [majority shareholder] was the majority shareholder and person responsible for handling these funds. Despite requests for documentation and transparency on the matter, the three other shareholders were denied access to these things. Regardless of this refusal to cooperate, the people in the video were still obligated to provide the product described within the Kickstarter. In response to this, the [majority shareholder] made a “Wayside Creations, LLC Operating Agreement Amendment” that gave that person the sole authority to do what they wanted with the company’s finances. This amendment also took away the ability for shareholders to have a meeting without them.

Since this agreement was made without the consent of the other shareholders, they declined the motion.

fourthupdate.png

Tybee and Becca wrote a script for Tales of the Wasteland and intend to send that to backers regardless of the future form it takes. Cameron Diskin was intended to play as the Ranger, and even had a custom costume made for his specific measurements. Despite that fact he was never contacted about shooting.

The four of them are aware of their capacity to sue, but refuse to do so because that went against what the company was about. The three people who had shares at the time of this video relinquished them at the very end of it.

If any new developments on this story occur, you’ll be the first to know.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom