Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Kickstarter Watch.

Dexter

Arcane
They made it with 24 hours remaining:

Newest Update: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1252280491/firmament/posts/2490335
FUNDED! And ALL IN for MacOS, PS4/PSVR, and language support!
Posted by Cyan Worlds, Inc. (Creator)
e4aaabf87a6c958d6e812a3c4f7bda57_original.jpg

WOOHOO!!!! You did it!!!

You all did it together.

I hope you’re all as happy as we are today! We can’t thank you enough! Because of you and your hard work Firmament will become a reality - a virtual reality. Now it’s our turn for the hard work to get you this new world that you can immerse yourself in.

Thanks everyone - from those who have been here since day one of the campaign to everyone who joined today, and everyone in between!

Thank you for sharing the campaign with all your friends, family, and fellow fans.

Thank you for trusting us to make another new world for you to explore.

Very Big News!

Good news! We really want the Mac, PS4, and EFIGS versions to happen. We’re now on our way to the stretch goal, but we’ve decided to commit to find a way to make up any shortfall, so we can guarantee Firmament for Mac, PS4, and EFIGS. If you’ve been holding back on pledging, we’re hoping that this decision will help get you to jump in now - knowing that you will definitely get a version for your language or platform - and you can still get it with the exclusive campaign content! But you’ve only got a day to do it - you’d better hurry!

28aac4d0a65a393d5583ee3f7f74b627_original.JPG

Stay in touch with the team after the campaign during dev here in Discord:

https://discordapp.com/invite/N75H64X

Planned events for the Final Day (tomorrow)

We hope you all can join one or more of these events tomorrow to help us celebrate!

Here are the planned events for the final Kickstarter day (Friday, April 26):

10:00 am - 11:00 am PDT: Ryan W. streams Firmament with developer Q&A session

11:30 am - 12:00 pm PDT: CyanChat Discord in General Chatter - a Fireside chat with Rand

2:30 pm - 3:00 pm PDT: Live stream on the Facebook Firmament page

Thank you for being part of Firmament from the ground up, and for all the incredible support.

The Cyan Team

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Currently on Kickstarter's front page.

Fatventure Mag was co-founded by Alice Lesperance and Samantha Puc, two fat lesbians who wanted to create a space where fat folx could talk about their experiences in the active/fitness community without being devalued for their size, ability, or motivation.

We’re shining the spotlight on work by fat-identified women and non-binary writers and artists who love spending time outdoors, communing with nature, and being active, no matter what "fitness culture" has to say about it.
You can't make this stuff up.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
fat-identified women

What does it even mean? That others falsely identify me as fat even though I am not fat and/or being fat is just a social construct? Or does it mean that I identify myself as fat even though I may not actually be a fatso by common standards?

ADL

Prophet

Trainwiz' freespace spiritual successor is on Kickstarter with a demo available. Go check it out.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Interesting precedent - Kickstarter cancels a campaign for being overambitious: https://www.pcgamesn.com/raw/kickstarter

Kickstarter suspends GTA Online imitator RAW and cancels pledges
raw-580x334.jpg

Earlier today, the Kickstarter for RAW – a ‘sandbox MMORP’ title built in the style of GTA Online – was suspended, as backers received an email from Kickstarter saying that pledges will be cancelled. The project had already met its funding goal, but faced plenty of criticism as fans, critics, and streamers suggested that it was far too ambitious to come to life on its modest budget – and it seems Kickstarter itself feels the same way.

“Our rules and guidelines ask that creators seek to raise the amount of money needed to bring a project to completion and fulfill all rewards,” a Kickstarter representative tells us. “This creator stated in an update that they would need to raise additional funds outside of Kickstarter to complete the game. We require projects to be honest and clearly presented, and this project failed to meet that standard.”

This is likely in reference to an FAQ from the developers, where they say “Yes, our game can not be made for 70K, but nobody said that this money is all that we have. We have other sources of funding too.”

In a message on the game’s official Discord, the developers say there were “no warnings” ahead of the Kickstarter’s suspension. They received a message similar to the one backers did, in which Kickstarter simply runs down the reasons a campaign might be suspended. The developers say “we are very disappointed, but not broken,” and will continue to seek funding elsewhere. “IndieGoGo can become one of those solutions. The second solution is to make it trough our website.”

Kickstarter pledges are typically only charged once a fully-funded project’s campaign ends, so backers will face no charges for the cancelled pledges. We’ve reached out to the developers for comment, but have not received a reply.

Games backed through Kickstarter have certainly sought additional funds for development in the past, whether through the ongoing backer campaigns that often follow Kickstarters, or titles like Shenmue 3 getting money from publishing partners. The difference here appears to be that the developers stated the Kickstarter wouldn’t provide enough money while the campaign was still ongoing.

The last Kickstarter update was made on July 12, as the developers announced plans for a gameplay demonstration video based on community requests for raw, unedited footage. They say they’ve been working on the game full-time for two-and-a-half years, while emphasising how few days they’ve taken off in that period.

“Overall we’ve spent on our game development approximately €10,000 at this moment, and we are not trying to say that it is a huge amount of money, but it’s a big amount of money when you don’t have an actual income for 2.5 years. We understand that this all sounds like excuses, but we are trying to be honest with you.”

In a stream last month, Michael ‘Shroud’ Grzesiek ran down many criticisms of RAW. He said “I would not trust this game at all”, adding that it’s “the kind of game that would be the best game in the world” and “there’s a reason why it doesn’t exist – because it’s not possible. This can’t be possible yet. We can’t do it. So don’t fall for it”. He suggested that “maybe it’ll be done in 30 years. Maybe, I don’t know.” Similar concerns Reddit, where users have raised concerns about the project’s legitimacy. There have also been suggestions that RAW is just “too ambitious” for an indie studio.

RAW’s Kickstarter front page says the game is a “hardcore MMORPG with unique approach to social structure and high attention to gameplay details”. It’s made by “a small team of developers”. The game seems reminiscent of GTA RP efforts, but with added layers of complexity. Developer Killerwhale Games’ official site says RAW will feature a “vast open world”, as well as building, “advanced government”, real estate, business, profession, and contract systems – plus land, water, and air transport and “reliable” tested multiplayer.

The Kickstarter page says that “most systems” are already finished, but it looks like the devs might have a way to go yet in getting the game to players. In their FAQs section, they say that the Kickstarter funds will primarily go towards hiring more programmers and 3D modelers, but that they also still need to get an office, purchase hardware, software, a motion capture system “in the future”, plus pay taxes, which should be around “30-40% of raised funds.”

The devs added in an FAQ update that “a lot of gaming websites and people critic[ise] you and say it’s impossible,” saying “of course from the very beginning the game will come out a little raw, all the games come out like this. We will constantly continue to refine, develop and update our game and after you bought the game the updates will be free for you.” On the overview page the devs also say “our game is essentially a platform, which will be polished a long time after release.”

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Interesting precedent - Kickstarter cancels a campaign for being overambitious: https://www.pcgamesn.com/raw/kickstarter

Kickstarter suspends GTA Online imitator RAW and cancels pledges

Earlier today, the Kickstarter for RAW – a ‘sandbox MMORP’ title built in the style of GTA Online – was suspended, as backers received an email from Kickstarter saying that pledges will be cancelled. The project had already met its funding goal, but faced plenty of criticism as fans, critics, and streamers suggested that it was far too ambitious to come to life on its modest budget – and it seems Kickstarter itself feels the same way.

“Our rules and guidelines ask that creators seek to raise the amount of money needed to bring a project to completion and fulfill all rewards,” a Kickstarter representative tells us. “This creator stated in an update that they would need to raise additional funds outside of Kickstarter to complete the game. We require projects to be honest and clearly presented, and this project failed to meet that standard.”

The devs added in an FAQ update that “a lot of gaming websites and people critic[ise] you and say it’s impossible,” saying “of course from the very beginning the game will come out a little raw, all the games come out like this. We will constantly continue to refine, develop and update our game and after you bought the game the updates will be free for you.” On the overview page the devs also say “our game is essentially a platform, which will be polished a long time after release.”

I think its pretty good that they stopped this, which has failure written all over it, but how likely is it they will do it again when the next Star Citizen with a formerly famous creator comes along.

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
I think its pretty good that they stopped this, which has failure written all over it, but how likely is it they will do it again when the next Star Citizen with a formerly famous creator comes along.

As far as I'm aware, Star Citizen sounded fairly achievable when they did their original campaign. It was only when they opened up their own donation system, post Kickstarter, that they started to promise the world. Which is a tactic that others will probably adopt to dodge this type of cancellation

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron

As far as I'm aware, Star Citizen sounded fairly achievable when they did their original campaign. It was only when they opened up their own donation system, post Kickstarter, that they started to promise the world. Which is a tactic that others will probably adopt to dodge this type of cancellation

Yeah, you're probably right, although I was much more skeptical, but despite it problems Elite: Dangerous is pretty much what Star Citizen promised, so its not impossible. What set off red flags for me was the whole, yes, its sorta like Wing Commander as well, but also MMO Wing Commander, same deceptive approach as Shroud of the Avatar, MMO and yes its really Ultima

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom