Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Kickstarter Watch.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!

YES!!!

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
I'm so burned out on previous KS(s) that I'm afraid to pledge.
Keep the dream alive. I still pledge to a KS once in a while on a "fire and forget" basis. It's neat getting project updates from some of them. Same fun as getting mail that isn't junk mail.

I stopped doing KS, you really get more value for money when you buy the games when they are actually released, and if they don't, you don't lose anything

Last edited:

udm

Arcane
Patron

Die-cut acrylic miniatures (similar to paper minis, but on acrylic) for pnp gamers.

Hellion

Arcane
EVERSPACE 2: "a looter-shooter IN SPAAAAACE"

Another space sim that will be developed and released before Star Citizen is close to coming out.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
lol sheeple https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...ly-helps-kickstarter-game-become-huge-success

Harry Potter accidentally turns Kickstarter game into huge success
A large scale victory.

A small crowdfunded survival game has become an enormous Kickstarter success thanks to the magic of Harry Potter. And also Google.

Day of Dragons from new developer Beawesome Games launched its modest funding campaign on 2nd September. It asked for $12k.

"Have you ever thought it'd be cool to play as a Dragon? How about online with other players who are also Dragons?" the game's campaign page reads. "Have you ever thought, it'd be cool to breathe fire, fly, survive as a Dragon? Welcome to Day of Dragons."

Over the first 48 hours, the campaign raised $1300. Things looked pretty good, although interest had begun to... tail off.

And then Harry Potter: Wizards Unite, from Pokémon Go maker Niantic, launched its "Day of the Dragons" in-game event. Suddenly, a lot of people were searching for the term on Google. And Day of Dragons' Kickstarter page became its top search result.

As industry analyst Thomas Bidaux noted, 7th September - the day of Niantic's event - saw Day of Dragons rake in $13k on Kickstarter, more than enough to hit the campaign's month-long target on a single day.

By the time the month was up, Day of Dragons had raised $500k, 41 times its initial target.

It's fair to say the developer was happy by the response - though it has not publicly thanked Harry Potter for lending a helping hand.

"Thank you all so much for your amazing support to our game. Wow," lead developer Jonathan "Jao" Slabaugh wrote. "$500k?? That's unbelievable. We only asked for $12k! We never asked for this! You all are so incredibly generous. Thank you so much.

"I wasn't even sure if $12k was asking too much but that's what I needed to get three new dragons added to replace the current three, each of which was made by a different artist. This is our first game, we never thought there were so many people out there who shared our vision, our desire for a game like this.

"I didn't start this project to make money, I started it because it was something I always wanted to do. After my Dad passed away of cancer during Christmas of 2016, I decided to chase after my childhood dream of making a video game. A lot of friends and family thought I was wasting my time, I'd work 10-16 hours each day learning the engine and coding while time just passed me by with no pay. But I was determined to get it to a playable state, and release it on Steam in November in Early Access, then let gamers decide if it was a waste of time or not."

Day of Dragons launches on Steam in early access on 21st November.

udm

Arcane
Patron

dat art :shredder:

90d0e8672c5bce02ce4c51399f579eb8_original.jpg

43aafe1eac39b866c721ed2438839930_original.jpg

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

"A Serene Online RPG" from the makers of the Shelter series. A game apparently about walking slowly through nice art and maybe checking out cool sunsets?

Gameplay looks sparse, with stuff like figuring out how to activate a machine or fixing up a boat. The social aspect is nonverbal - no text chat - with a bunch of unlockable emotes, e.g. if you find a market you can make the hand sign for "market". "Tiny online" means server populations will be intentionally low and running into another player will be an event. I haven't read the whole page so there may be critical stuff I'm not describing here.

TLDR: They have a lot of weird ideas but the art is pretty.

Not sure if I'll back or not. They've already smashed their pitifully small goal; I wonder if they'll actually be able to pull off their vision. I do think that the Shelter games are cool but too slow for me.

CyberModuled

Savant
Headcannon Studios (one of the main studios responsible for co-creating Sonic Mania) are trying to get funding for their new IP. Shame it seems to not be doing so great despite having gameplay footage and a demo (guess people really are getting burnt out on KS).

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
I stopped doing KS, you really get more value for money when you buy the games when they are actually released, and if they don't, you don't lose anything

Dunno, there are a number of games that were successful that seeing them after the fact I kick myself wishing I had backed so I could have gotten physical drm free editions of the game. Digital drm free still isn't the same :/
Still never backed a single kickstarter to this day. I got close to D:OS2 but never did and thankfully avoided that bullet after seeing the state of decline edition. KOTC2 is very tempting, realms beyond I said I didn't want to support them after they fired JarlFrank and I'm still questioning if it will actually be any good but late backing for a drm free box edition is still possible..

pocketroid

Novice
This looks like a pretty neat idea.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1286599243/monster-sanctuary-monster-taming-metroidvania
edit: Free demo https://sersch.itch.io/monster-sanctuary
The gameplay concept is really cool, 2D exploration style game with creature catching/collection that adds to your party with unique skill trees and turn based battles.
https://monster-sanctuary.com/
I wonder when final release will be? I'll totally play this. Years ago I remember seeing this campaign.
The closest I've seen to this is Monster Tale on DS. As a concept, it certainly has a lot of potential. But developing such a thing sounds like a nightmare. Not only the pseudo-freedom of a metroidvania map, but also the freedom of customizing your team of monsters. I'm imagining using unique monster abilities to progress in more than one way.

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
This looks like a pretty neat idea.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1286599243/monster-sanctuary-monster-taming-metroidvania
edit: Free demo https://sersch.itch.io/monster-sanctuary
The gameplay concept is really cool, 2D exploration style game with creature catching/collection that adds to your party with unique skill trees and turn based battles.
https://monster-sanctuary.com/
I wonder when final release will be? I'll totally play this. Years ago I remember seeing this campaign.
The closest I've seen to this is Monster Tale on DS. As a concept, it certainly has a lot of potential. But developing such a thing sounds like a nightmare. Not only the pseudo-freedom of a metroidvania map, but also the freedom of customizing your team of monsters. I'm imagining using unique monster abilities to progress in more than one way.
From some gameplay videos I saw of the initial gameplay demo a while ago, the metroidvania aspect of it (2D platforming/exploration) seems underdeveloped and extremely barebones, with very little in the environment and just a treasure chest put here and there otherwise being long corridors between different monster fights and destinations. Where all of the development however does seem to be going into is the turn based combat and monster stats/collection aspect. Every monster has unique skill trees and plays differently, and aside from possible balance concerns the combat contains a fair amount of depth.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
LMAO look at quickly it is rising. Good for them, I guess.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom