Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter King Arthur: Knight's Tale - dark fantasy turn-based tactical RPG from NeocoreGames - Legion IX standalone expansion coming May 9th

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Ok, this may be a spoiler, but I'd like to know:

Is the Green Knight in this game?

Can't find anything on the net.

I've just done a mission near the end of Act 3 and the Sidhe said that the shard of Arthur has corrupted the Green Knight, so I'm gonna go ahead and guess he's the Act 3 boss.

Parabalus

Arcane
There's a list of all rewards for a mission in the cfg files, plaintext readable, including hidden chests. This is what rusty_shackleford is laughing about.

Looks like there really is just
one PER and one Spellcraft chest in the whole of
Act 1,
Yvain and Pelleas missions.

Act 2

• Act2_Meeting - spell
  • castlecorbenic - spell
  • Wasteland_01_Tegyr
  • Wasteland_02_Chosens - spell
  • Dungeon_02_BrunorleNoir
  • Forest_03_Bors

Codex Year of the Donut
delet this, I do not encourage cheating

it's not just chests btw, there's other objects that are hidden
look for things tagged with LUAScript_HeroTrial_Detect

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Act 3 main mission has many secrets but nearly all of them are minor stuff, only 1 had relic and one other had blue stuff. There are also speaking trees there, after talking 4 of them the party gets total of 80 xp and Mordred gets 1 skill point.

Also got a disgusting 1 handed sword relic rune. High damage, -1 hide detection range, extra backstab damage and wielder auto hides on every kill... WTF man?!

Oropay

Educated
Honestly, I think the game is balanced around Vanguard. Hard would be almost impossible unless you're killing two or three enemies every round with Tristan or Balin, who I might add is one of the earliest offered party members.

What do you think about an ultimate cheese party composition with two Vanguards, Mordred, and a Champion? Or is this completely unspeakable?

wh2m2Ls

https://imgbb.com/wh2m2Ls

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Honestly, I think the game is balanced around Vanguard. Hard would be almost impossible unless you're killing two or three enemies every round with Tristan or Balin, who I might add is one of the earliest offered party members.

What do you think about an ultimate cheese party composition with two Vanguards, Mordred, and a Champion? Or is this completely unspeakable?

wh2m2Ls

https://imgbb.com/wh2m2Ls

It’s not Ultimate cheese if you’re using a Champion

So is it a Masterpiece you all brag about?

No. But it’s good.

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron

I would argue that Lancelot is the most broken companion after you get teleport setup going.

For ultimate cheese party you probably can skip Mordred and go for 1 sage (inspire+buff dmg + general support), 2 vanguards and lancelot. For bosses you probably need a tank so swapping 1 vanguard for Mordred is probably a good idea. On the other hand having multiple cheese characters that rely on dmg each kill might be a bad idea since they eat away others damage potential. All you need (at least on hard difficulty) is 1 dps character with ap each kill + dmg each kill bullshit build. So having 2-3 support characters and 1 dps char might be best for random missions in general (3 chars with inspire / hexes / dmg buff and 1 dps).

So:
Galahad for divine favour
Guinevere+Isolde for dmg buff/inspire
and 1 dps char vanguard or lancelot

And the game is great one of the better games I have played in few years. If there was not chalice 2 it could be my game of the year so far.

Last edited:

Cael

Arcane
If you have multiple choices on how to create a "best" party, then the game is automatically better than 99% of modern RPG out there.

Saravan

Savant

Hard disagree. Pretty much any balanced party composition can handle hard. I completed all of Act 2 - 4 on Hard (with some parts on Very Hard) without a Vanguard when I saw how broken it was in its current state. It was challenging and fun but far from impossible.

I'm going to try a new run on Hard roguemode. I have a habit of savescumming so I want the game to force me to live with my decisions.

I would argue that Lancelot is the most broken companion after you get teleport setup going.

Lancelot is very strong with access to both CC spells and inspire but Vanguard (or more specifically, Tegyr or Balin) still wins out, especially on Very Hard. The teleport killing spree set-up (which arguably works even better on White Knight with its extra +1AP per kill and 20% weapon damage from Blessed Weapon) doesn't work everytime on Very Hard due to some encounters having few, but very high HP enemies on the later acts. For single targets Vanguard's surprise attack + backstab penetrates armor immediately and does higher damage. Vanguard is not reliant on getting a killing spree going for damage (however is reliant on it to spam attacks in the same turn like all other classes), can jump over targets to guarantee getting behind any enemy without triggering an AoO and can enter stealth before and after every kill. In its current state Vanguard has better mobility than a Marksman and higher damage than a Champion with defensive capabilities that's tiers above both simply because he can avoid getting hit altogether if played properly.

It will be interesting to see how the classes balance out once the planned nerf to +AP per kill is implemented. I believe it will only affect item enchants and not passives, in that case the Vanguards will be able to reach at least +2AP per kill (once they have access to Tier III passives) with the White Knight being the only Champion with +2AP per kill as well from Tier I passives.

Last edited:

Parabalus

Arcane
Vanguards don't seem too busted without +AP on kill, just drop those and use them.

For ultimate cheese party you probably can skip Mordred and go for 1 sage (inspire+buff dmg + general support), 2 vanguards and lancelot. For bosses you probably need a tank so swapping 1 vanguard for Mordred is probably a good idea. On the other hand having multiple cheese characters that rely on dmg each kill might be a bad idea since they eat away others damage potential. All you need (at least on hard difficulty) is 1 dps character with ap each kill + dmg each kill bullshit build. So having 2-3 support characters and 1 dps char might be best for random missions in general (3 chars with inspire / hexes / dmg buff and 1 dps).

So:
Galahad for divine favour
Guinevere+Isolde for dmg buff/inspire
and 1 dps char vanguard or lancelot

And the game is great one of the better games I have played in few years. If there was not chalice 2 it could be my game of the year so far.

On VH you could do 3x Sage + Vanguard easily too.

Saravan

Savant
Vanguards don't seem too busted without +AP on kill, just drop those and use them.

Yes but with the exception of boss fights, but this is more about how stacking buffs works in this game than the class itself. There is a video of a guy killing the endgame boss on Very Hard on turn 1 with just a Vanguard (no other party member even joins the battle).

However, even if you don't have the best relics you can still do a ton of damage or even outright kill a boss on the first turn with the Vanguard. You won't need +AP per kill for that. Bless/weapon damage increases stacks in this game from all sources (potions, tomes, bless skill, etc.). This needs to be changed. Why it is so effective for the Vanguard is due to the very high damage output from backstab and that it penetrates armor.

Parabalus

Arcane

Yes but with the exception of boss fights, but this is more about how stacking buffs works in this game than the class itself. There is a video of a guy killing the endgame boss on Very Hard on turn 1 with just a Vanguard (no other party member even joins the battle).

However, even if you don't have the best relics you can still do a ton of damage or even outright kill a boss on the first turn with the Vanguard. You won't need +AP per kill for that. Bless/weapon damage increases stacks in this game from all sources (potions, tomes, bless skill, etc.). This needs to be changed. Why it is so effective for the Vanguard is due to the very high damage output from backstab and that it penetrates armor.

Don't want to spoil the ending, but the video involves stacking a ton of buffs on the adventure map, pre-mission?

Very easy change as well.

Saravan

Savant

Don't want to spoil the ending, but the video involves stacking a ton of buffs on the adventure map, pre-mission?

Very easy change as well.

Yeah, I hope they change that, of course as you said, one can just avoid doing it. But in principle I agree with you. The +AP per kill nerf will make other classes shine more and I look forward to that.

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
There are one-use books for +25% damage, I've got 3-4 in the whole game, they are much rarer than relics. There are also books for +2 AP. I also had decree from alignment chart for +10% damage but this one has 5 missions cooldown. There are potion for +60% damage, with Cathedral upgrades it costs 0 AP and lasts 2 rounds. Also potions for +100% AP. I've only had couple of each, but +30% version exists too. And building upgrades are worth 5+k gold.

I've killed main game end boss without any of those and only used everything I've hoarded up to this point on the last post-story super boss from video, one-rounded him too on Hard (there are 3 such bosses and bunch of repeatable missions to farm items and resources).
Honestly, people screaming "nerf this!" on something that you spent whole game preparing for is the shit that turned sawyer into what he is.

Last edited:

Saravan

Savant
Honestly, people screaming "nerf this!" on something that you spent whole game preparing for is the shit that turned sawyer into what he is.

Looking for ways to trivialize the difficulty is pathfinder mentality tbh. There needs to be a challenge to the game. Some classes being stronger than others is one thing. Being rewarded for good finds on item RNG, strong party composition and optimized builds is all fine and dandy, this is not the same as breaking the game. Being able to one-shot the endgame boss on the hardest difficulty by right-clicking on 15 different consumables doesn't do the game any favors. For the record I was swimming in damage buff consumables already by mid Act 2, so it's not like you would have to save this just for this boss. You would have enough supplies to do this on at least the last four bosses in the game.

If you have an easy-to-find potion that can give 30% or +60% damage but a skill unique to one Champion in the game that merely gives 20% that's an issue when you can go so far as to stack two potions at the same time, on top of all the other buffs you can apply if needed.

Parabalus

Arcane
There are one-use books for +25% damage, I've got 3-4 in the whole game, they are much rarer than relics. There are also books for +2 AP. I also had decree from alignment chart for +10% damage but this one has 5 missions cooldown. There are potion for +60% damage, with Cathedral upgrades it costs 0 AP and lasts 2 rounds. Also potions for +100% AP. I've only had couple of each, but +30% version exists too. And building upgrades are worth 5+k gold.

I've killed main game end boss without any of those and only used everything I've hoarded up to this point on the last post-story super boss from video, one-rounded him too on Hard (there are 3 such bosses and bunch of repeatable missions to farm items and resources).

I don't like these types of single mission consumables at all, they encourage horading and spamming.

Game would be better off without them.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Vanguards don't seem too busted without +AP on kill, just drop those and use them..

I never got any AP-items. They're still the class that took me from biting my nails on VH to trivializing the content. Though again, I am only half-way through act 2 ish

In my opinion this game is a walking poster boy for what Sawyer did get right - namely that balancing isn't about making everything equally good but about bumping downright traps up a notch and taking stuff that completely marginalizes every else down a notch.

Right now I'm not using Vanguards at all because they ruin my missions and turn them into a snoozefest. That's a shame when due to the particulars of the game's pretty simple systems, you wouldn't need to do much to bring them back.

Same thing goes for Archers, just the other way around.

Saravan

Savant

I don't like these types of single mission consumables at all, they encourage horading and spamming.

Game would be better off without them.

I think they can serve a good purpose but they must be balanced™ right. If consumables are rare and you have to make strategic decisions when to use them that's when they add depth to the game. At the moment the design is pretty braindead as the benefits are far too great in all aspects.

Daidre

Arcane
If you have an easy-to-find potion that can give 30% or +60% damage but a skill unique to one Champion in the game that merely gives 20% that's an issue when you can go so far as to stack two potions at the same time, on top of all the other buffs you can apply if needed.
Sages have a Bless buff that gives +30% melee damage for two rounds. Nothing unique about it. I had 3 characters who could cast it and best of them comes from the main story.
And they could keep it up 100% of time on the best damager.

Looking for ways to trivialize the difficulty is pathfinder mentality tbh.
And the lack of desire to improve your builds, learn mechanics and optimize your party is the very epitome of storyfag mentality. Yes, sometimes you stumble on the low-effort broken shit, like endless AP per kill enchantments. Those need to be fixed. But nerfhammering any outliners who sometimes need a ton of preparation to even work is the approach that is slowly crippling RPGs over the years.

Last edited:

Saravan

Savant
Sages have a Bless buff that gives +30% melee damage for two rounds. Nothing unique about it. I had 3 characters who could cast it and best of them comes from the main story.
And they could keep it up 100% of time on the best damager..

Yeah but it's unique to the Champion class. The problem with bless for Sages is that they are stackable.

And the lack of desire to improve your builds, learn mechanics and optimize your party is the very epitome of storyfag mentality. Yes, sometimes you stumble on the low-effort broken shit, like endless AP per kill enchantments. Those need to be fixed. But nerfhammering any outliners who sometimes need a ton of preparation to even work is the approach that was slowly crippling RPGs over the years.

Sure, I never said that these factors shouldn't matter, in fact if anything they should be emphasized. What you said on the other hand was not that.

Daidre

Arcane
Yeah but it's unique to the Champion class. The problem with bless for Sages is that they are stackable.
I had not done excessive excel-ing of the game, but I have a huge suspicion that all +x% damage modifiers in this game are multiplicative. Huge difference to Pillars, for example, or most of the diablo clones, where such numbers are usually additive and lot less impactful (with some rare true multiplicative bonuses here and there that make whole thing a mess).

I guess it is the reason why skill upgrades have a such small numbers around +15 - 20%, because you will really get those 15-20% written on the skill on top of what you currently have and it will not turn into some +4,38% because MATH.
And that makes everything, items and skill that use percent increases almost exponentially powerful when you heap enouph modifiers. So you get 23 dmg sword doing 400 damage backstabs.

Ryzer

Arcane

"quest marker"
"way too high difficulty spikes one mission to another"
:despair:
They shouldn't listen to the feedback at all.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom