Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter King Arthur: Knight's Tale - dark fantasy turn-based tactical RPG from NeocoreGames - Legion IX expansion coming in early 2024

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
Dammit, few more hours into this awsomely brooding game and still no Monty Python easter egg?

Parabalus

Arcane
PER 2 chest in bottom right of Red Knight recruitment mission.

PER 2 chest in the middle of the map in Into the Deepwood.

PER 2 chest in the middle bottom edge of the map in The Wild Hunt.

Last edited:

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1157390/view/5013080742644474334

Knights!

Your journey in Avalon has just begun but things won't stop after the launch of course. Besides some hotfixes which are in the works (already released minor ones), the game will receive its first big patch in a form of a free content update in June.

The Chained God

We're happy to announce "The Chained God", the first free seasonal content update for King Arthur: Knight's Tale, coming in June for all players.

In "The Chained God" players will take up the role and will be able to play as the mighty Fomorians, the brutal and terrifying giants of Avalon - the main enemy faction of the Knights of the Round Table. The update features a brand new chain of short story missions, focused on these mystical creatures, introducing new gameplay, new items and expanding the lore.

"The Chained God" is the first of many free content updates coming to Knight's Tale. Besides these, other, longer form content is also in the works, however, details about these will be revealed later.

Accolades Trailer

We assembled a short Accolades Trailer, so you can check below what critics are saying about King Arthur: Knight's Tale.

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I'm getting to the point of being a bit tired of it now and looking forward to the end. Even on Very Hard and not abusing the Vanguard backstabs, I've got a team that can reliably kill pretty much everything with not much fuss. Morgana to cast Ice Wall and then AoE to chill everything. Mordred and Morgawse to Chain lightning/ Lightning/ Freeze everything while they mill around the edges of the Ice Wall, before it pops and freezes the mobs and gets recast. Brunor to Earthshaker and kill stuff that gets too close, or Bouddicea to do the Vanguard stuff, just not as OP as Balin. The only difference in Very Hard is it takes longer.

It's a good game and I've easy got my money's worth but as is often the problem with turn based games, the end game becomes a bit repetitive.

Parabalus

Arcane
I'm getting to the point of being a bit tired of it now and looking forward to the end. Even on Very Hard and not abusing the Vanguard backstabs, I've got a team that can reliably kill pretty much everything with not much fuss. Morgana to cast Ice Wall and then AoE to chill everything. Mordred and Morgawse to Chain lightning/ Lightning/ Freeze everything while they mill around the edges of the Ice Wall, before it pops and freezes the mobs and gets recast. Brunor to Earthshaker and kill stuff that gets too close, or Bouddicea to do the Vanguard stuff, just not as OP as Balin. The only difference in Very Hard is it takes longer.

It's a good game and I've easy got my money's worth but as is often the problem with turn based games, the end game becomes a bit repetitive.

From my experience the Vanguard op stuff is skewed towards Act 1.

They have access to a very simple and early damage bonus, other classes need more time to get the ball rolling.

At least without the +AP stuff.

Codex Year of the Donut
Interesting that they're doing free content. The cost to make this mustn't have been as high as I thought, or console sales were quite good.

Saravan

Savant
At least they spend some time on encounter and map design so it's not that repetitive as usual suspects.

They also made the right choice in terms of pacing by keeping the game relatively "short" compared to most RPG:s. Near the end I felt it was about to overstay its welcome. The best parts of this game were right in the middle when you have obtained enough abilities, companions and items to have a good range of options in combat without feeling overpowered. This is true for most other RPG:s as well. I despise stat inflation in RPG:s, I'm not 15 anymore I don't need a powerfantasy.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So, is there a way to trade potions on missions? One of my dudes are sitting on a bunch, but the one needing them don't have any.

Cael

Arcane
At least they spend some time on encounter and map design so it's not that repetitive as usual suspects.

They also made the right choice in terms of pacing by keeping the game relatively "short" compared to most RPG:s. Near the end I felt it was about to overstay its welcome. The best parts of this game were right in the middle when you have obtained enough abilities, companions and items to have a good range of options in combat without feeling overpowered. This is true for most other RPG:s as well. I despise stat inflation in RPG:s, I'm not 15 anymore I don't need a powerfantasy.
In that case, why bother with upgrading? Just have a RPG where your stats never move, your equipment doesn't change and you never gain levels. Why give the illusion of gaining power?

Saravan

Savant

In that case, why bother with upgrading? Just have a RPG where your stats never move, your equipment doesn't change and you never gain levels. Why give the illusion of gaining power?

You can still have meaningful progression in power such as more or improved abilities and better equipment. However, the encounters must to some degree always stay relatively difficult to make the combat engaging. When you reach the point of becoming overpowered the combat falls apart. It loses its meaning the moment it stops being challenging. This is especially true for more tactical focused RPG:s such as this one. Near the end game you are just going through the motions, it's not fun anymore because there is no threat. Now if you want to live out your powerfantasy in a more traditional CRPG I have an easier time buying that narrative. But even there, for me personally, it becomes boring as fuck when you are simply too strong for what you are facing. Some might argue that this is the reward you get for optimizing your builds and strategies efficiently. I say that optimization should be expected and emphasized for higher difficulties, essentially by punishing inefficacy in your choices, but never result in you being capable of trivializing the difficulty. The moment this happens the magic of combat disappears. Trivialized combat might as well be removed entirely in my book, it does nothing but add mental masturbation to the player.

This delicate balancing act between feeling that your character's powers are increasing as you progress through the game and maintaining challenging encounters is one of the hardest things for RPG:s to get right, but it's also one of the most important things for combat to stay interesting.

Cael

Arcane

You can still have meaningful progression in power such as more or improved abilities and better equipment. However, the encounters must to some degree always stay relatively difficult to make the combat engaging. When you reach the point of becoming overpowered the combat falls apart. It loses its meaning the moment it stops being challenging. This is especially true for more tactical focused RPG:s such as this one. Near the end game you are just going through the motions, it's not fun anymore because there is no threat. Now if you want to live out your powerfantasy in a more traditional CRPG I have an easier time buying that narrative. But even there, for me personally, it becomes boring as fuck when you are simply too strong for what you are facing. Some might argue that this is the reward you get for optimizing your builds and strategies efficiently. I say that optimization should be expected and emphasized for higher difficulties, essentially by punishing inefficacy in your choices, but never result in you being capable of trivializing the difficulty. The moment this happens the magic of combat disappears. Trivialized combat might as well be removed entirely in my book, it does nothing but add mental masturbation to the player.

This delicate balancing act between feeling that your character's powers are increasing as you progress through the game and maintaining challenging encounters is one of the hardest things for RPG:s to get right, but it's also one of the most important things for combat to stay interesting.
Why bother? It is just busywork levelling up and stuff. Just let everything be the same and the challenge will always be the same. Just have all the options available right from the start. This way, you can really craft encounters to carefully and accurately moderate the difficulty as there will be no surprises.

Saravan

Savant

Why bother? It is just busywork levelling up and stuff. Just let everything be the same and the challenge will always be the same. Just have all the options available right from the start. This way, you can really craft encounters to carefully and accurately moderate the difficulty as there will be no surprises.

The challenge does not necessarily have to be linear. You can have easier encounters and more difficult ones. This is not the same as trivializing the difficulty. To put it more concretely, taking this game as an example, the difficulty becomes trivialized when the power you have gained from levels, abilities and equipment starts to significantly outpace any threat the enemy can impose on your party, to the point where things such as positioning stops mattering and when you can keep using the same party composition with the same skills in the same order without any further thought. The combat stops being fun because you are noticing that you aren't even thinking about your actions anymore. You are just mindlessly right-clicking like it's an ARPG. The encounters stop being challenging enough to push you to adapt new strategies, because your underlying stats have inflated to a point where that is not necessary anymore.

Cael

Arcane

The challenge does not necessarily have to be linear. You can have easier encounters and more difficult ones. This is not the same as trivializing the difficulty. To put it more concretely, taking this game as an example, the difficulty becomes trivialized when the power you have gained from levels, abilities and equipment starts to significantly outpace any threat the enemy can impose on your party, to the point where things such as positioning stops mattering and when you can keep using the same party composition with the same skills in the same order without any further thought. The combat stops being fun because you are noticing that you aren't even thinking about your actions anymore. You are just mindlessly right-clicking like it's an ARPG. The encounters stop being challenging enough to push you to adapt new strategies, because your underlying stats have inflated to a point where that is not necessary anymore.
What you consider "trivialising", other people consider "progression". What you dramacunts consider "immature powerfantasy" or "munchkinism" other people consider "fun". Fuck off with your arrogant "the only right way to play is my way" asshattery.

Saravan

Savant

What you consider "trivialising", other people consider "progression". What you dramacunts consider "immature powerfantasy" or "munchkinism" other people consider "fun". Fuck off with your arrogant "the only right way to play is my way" asshattery.

Lmao did I hit a nerve or something?

Cael

Arcane

Flashbacks to woketard of the cunts 3.5 CharOp forum.

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
The challenge does not necessarily have to be linear. You can have easier encounters and more difficult ones. This is not the same as trivializing the difficulty.

f8emhDd.jpg

Cael

Arcane
The challenge does not necessarily have to be linear. You can have easier encounters and more difficult ones. This is not the same as trivializing the difficulty.

f8emhDd.jpg
Yes. Fucking sick of dramacunts calling people who optimise characters as munchkins and how it is unrealistic, etc. Motherfuckers think hunting down monsters and adventuring is not an Olympic sport but something a blind, crippled child can do, because that is what they are and they think of themselves as "normal".

Saravan

Savant

f8emhDd.jpg
Yes. Fucking sick of dramacunts calling people who optimise characters as munchkins and how it is unrealistic, etc. Motherfuckers think hunting down monsters and adventuring is not an Olympic sport but something a blind, crippled child can do, because that is what they are and they think of themselves as "normal".

Not quite sure what you are babyraging about. The simple point is this, combat without challenge is fucking boring. If you want trivialized difficulty stick to story mode and let "hard" or "very hard" stay that way throughout the whole game. You seem to crave some lame powercurve where your stats eventually carry you through the rest of the game.

Nobody said optimization is bad, if you actually read what I said it should be expected and emphasized. But you shouldn't be able to optimize your way out of difficulty just by your builds. You might get away with that in a traditional CRPG that focuses only on character building as a means of overcoming challenge. But this is a tactical RPG. Positioning and adaptation of the skills you should use and when must matter all the way through. Else you get comments like in this thread that the end game is boring. How you are incapable of seeing that is beyond me.

Last edited:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

you’re arguing with cael. everything’s gonna hit a nerve

Cael

Arcane

f8emhDd.jpg

Not quite sure what you are babyraging about. The simple point is this, combat without challenge is fucking boring. If you want trivialized difficulty stick to story mode and let "hard" or "very hard" stay that way throughout the whole game. You seem to crave some lame powercurve where your stats eventually carry you through the rest of the game.

Nobody said optimization is bad, if you actually read what I said it should be expected and emphasized. But you shouldn't be able to optimize your way out of difficulty just by your builds. You might get away with that in a traditional CRPG that focuses only on character building as a means of overcoming challenge. But this is a tactical RPG. Positioning and adaptation of the skills you should use and when must matter all the way through. Else you get comments like in this thread that the end game is boring. How you are incapable of seeing that is beyond me.
Even something as basic as nuXCom gets "the end game is samey and boring". That is because it is impossible to satisfy dramacunts. You add any form of customisation of characters, be it through stats, skills or equipment to a game, and you will get those kind of complaints. The only way to stop it? No customisation and you only gain stuff when the game allows you. Linear, railroad, campaign-locked shit. Therefore, the challenge of you vs the enemy is the same and only your tactics and skillz will win the day. I got a perfect game for you in that case. It is called CHESS.

Or you can ignore the complaining fucks and just make a game the majority will like.

Saravan

Savant

f8emhDd.jpg

Even something as basic as nuXCom gets "the end game is samey and boring". That is because it is impossible to satisfy dramacunts. You add any form of customisation of characters, be it through stats, skills or equipment to a game, and you will get those kind of complaints. The only way to stop it? No customisation and you only gain stuff when the game allows you. Linear, railroad, campaign-locked shit. Therefore, the challenge of you vs the enemy is the same and only your tactics and skillz will win the day. I got a perfect game for you in that case. It is called CHESS.

Or you can ignore the complaining fucks and just make a game the majority will like.

You can't be serious, they can EASILY keep the combat difficult despite your party growing in powers. How about giving the enemy new abilities such as more CC, new resistances/immunities, having the AI send in flanking mobs that are in stealth, give summoning abilities that spawn mobs next to the weaker classes like arcanist or sage, etc. Of course none of this means shit if your characters warpdrives in the powercurve by spamming inspire with endless AP to a Vanguard who oneshots everything in sight or just CC everything endlessly until they are dead.

Your answer of "what's the point of growing in power if you don't end up becoming godlike" is a lazy non-solution to the problem. Yes it's difficult to balance out these opposing interests but it's not impossible. RPGs that give a shit about combat but especially tactical RPGs should always strive to maintain difficulty throughout the whole game. What the fuck is the point of the endgame if the difficulty is trivialized? So you can jerk off to your powerful pixels destroying anything by mindlessly mashing the same buttons repeatedly? Might as well delete it and stop the game at Act 3 in that case.

Cael

Arcane

f8emhDd.jpg

You can't be serious, they can EASILY keep the combat difficult despite your party growing in powers. How about giving the enemy new abilities such as more CC, new resistances/immunities, having the AI send in flanking mobs that are in stealth, give summoning abilities that spawn mobs next to the weaker classes like arcanist or sage, etc. Of course none of this means shit if your characters warpdrives in the powercurve by spamming inspire with endless AP to a Vanguard who oneshots everything in sight or just CC everything endlessly until they are dead.

Your answer of "what's the point of growing in power if you don't end up becoming godlike" is a lazy non-solution to the problem. Yes it's difficult to balance out these opposing interests but it's not impossible. RPGs that give a shit about combat but especially tactical RPGs should always strive to maintain difficulty throughout the whole game. What the fuck is the point of the endgame if the difficulty is trivialized? So you can jerk off to your powerful pixels destroying anything by mindlessly mashing the same buttons repeatedly? Might as well delete it and stop the game at Act 3 in that case.
Why bother? If you want to keep everything the same, keep it the same. This is exactly what I have been saying right from the beginning.

You want the same challenge all the time throughout the whole game, play chess.

You want to have a feeling of growing in power, increasing stats, getting better gear, get more and more abilities that, if used intelligently, makes things easier for you, then play a RPG.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom