Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter King Arthur: Knight's Tale - dark fantasy turn-based tactical RPG from NeocoreGames - Legion IX expansion coming in early 2024

Harthwain

Magister
I played the roguelite mode on very hard
I have to add that it is currently a bug that players can see the difficulty levels on the Adventure Map in Roguelite mode. We will remove this option from the settings with our upcoming hotfix.

Roguelite is already a challenging mode but a Very Hard difficulty would make it nearly impossible to finish (not entirely but it would require a very careful and slow approach in every single battle). Roguelite's default difficulty is Hard.
Source: https://steamcommunity.com/app/1157390/discussions/0/3274689919147188658/#c3274689919148927256

The difficulty selector being available in Roguelite mode was never among our plans, it was bug that you could change the difficulty.
Source: https://steamcommunity.com/app/1157390/discussions/0/3274689919154315464/#c3274689919156179575

You can no longer set difficulty for Roguelite mode.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'd be careful with such comments, because Roguelite has a set difficulty - Hard. Hard was the only difficulty at some point, so you aren't really "turning up the difficulty" by playing in Roguelite mode. You're playing on default (meaning it's effectively the standard difficulty level. The one everyone is supposed to be playing on to play the game as intended).
If Hard is the default difficulty, then we're back where we started: circumventing the rules because one finds the game too challenging to play as intended, aka "cheating bitch". I don't mean you personally, but if the shoe fits.

However, there are balance issues and developers do admit as much. Some stuff is still a subject to tweaking as a result (Leondegrance being weaker than other Sages. Unlimited APs for kills being OP. Jump having too short cooldown. Morgana Le Fay's mission being too hard. To name just a few).
Cheating because the game is already broken so why not? I mean okay. Personally I try not to play broken games; I don't see how anyone could feel satisfied "beating" an unbalanced mess. Doubtless there is some "legal" but overpowered shit in there too y'all are likely to abuse to get to the end credits. None of this is increasing my opinions of cheaters.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
I'm currently in Act 3 playing on "very hard" (i.e., the hardest) difficulty setting. By design, once the player has filled the Round Table to 11 members, not counting Mordred, the only means of adding a new character is to permanently dismiss a current one, or possibly to intentionally kill someone off as I did with Tristan so he could rest in the Crypt with Isolde. Similarly, if someone remains as an aspirant, they will gradually fall behind in levels. Either way, the only means in-game of learning a character's higher-tier abilities is to unlock them by obtaining enough skill points via levelling, which is unhelpful when making a decision such as whether to keep Leodegrance or Lucan as my back-up sage, or whether there's any reason to keep Tristan after obtaining access to vanguards Tegyr and Boudicea. This is a lengthy game with a limited number of available characters, further restricted by the number who can be active in the Round Table and by the inability to recall any dismissed characters. It isn't merely a matter of optimizing the strength of one's party but also having as much fun as possible with the abilities of the characters.

Codex Year of the Donut
Zed Duke of Banville
There's a rare item that allows you to resurrect one dead hero. You can resurrect her after he inters her remains in the crypt so she can be with Tristan again.
I really liked that they added that.

Zombra

Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Why do you think you're entitled to have complete information without earning it by levelling the characters? Because you want it a lot? I want a fire engine.

It's fine with me if you have more fun when you cheat. Some of us respect the intent of the developers and can even appreciate being given clear boundaries on what information we do and do not receive. Myself, I prefer playing a game to playing with a game. The distinction is subtle but important I think.

Codex Year of the Donut

x to doubt
screenshot from when I was playing it
King-Arthur-Knight-s-tale-006.png

Codex Year of the Donut

x to doubt

You are an insane man

I salute you

How many times did you restart act 1? Act 2 I can see being easily doable, but Act 1 on VH seems like a massive excercise in tedium
It's roguelite, not ironman. You just get one save, but you can reload to the last save if you die.
But you can still easily get yourself stuck in an unwinnable scenario and start over. It nearly happened to me when recruiting the white knight, that mission was insanely difficult.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

x to doubt

You are an insane man

I salute you

How many times did you restart act 1? Act 2 I can see being easily doable, but Act 1 on VH seems like a massive excercise in tedium
It's roguelite, not ironman. You just get one save, but you can reload to the last save if you die.
But you can still easily get yourself stuck in an unwinnable scenario and start over. It nearly happened to me when recruiting the white knight, that mission was insanely difficult.

You can reload on Roguelite? Lol, I didn’t realize that at all.

Codex Year of the Donut

x to doubt

You are an insane man

I salute you

You can reload on Roguelite? Lol, I didn’t realize that at all.
I think it's one of the few times I've ever seen the term "Roguelite" actually used in a way that makes sense tbh.

Harthwain

Magister
If Hard is the default difficulty, then we're back where we started: circumventing the rules because one finds the game too challenging to play as intended, aka "cheating bitch".
Actually, this started elsewhere: as an example of a bad design and this won't change regardless of the whole cheating debate.

Since we're still on the subject, there are more quality of life improvements/changes the game would benefit from:
  • Being able to see what items you have on your characters mid-mission (in order to refresh your knowledge about potential bonuses, for example).
  • Knights are not joining your party right away, which can cause havoc in your startegy as you risk "inheriting" a heavily damaged knight you have to carry through the whole mission before he actually joins you. It'd help to have NPCs be under your command right away.
  • Skill points being already distributed. I can understand characters need to start with something, but it shouldn't be impossible to reset their skills after they join your Round Table. That said, the respecialization is fairly easy so this is not that big of a deal.
Cheating because the game is already broken so why not? I mean okay. Personally I try not to play broken games; I don't see how anyone could feel satisfied "beating" an unbalanced mess.
Eh, calling the game "broken" or "an unbalanced mess" is a hyperbole here. The game is highly enjoyable with only some minor gripes. The balance on some missions needs to be looked at is all.

Last edited:

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Zed Duke of Banville
There's a rare item that allows you to resurrect one dead hero. You can resurrect her after he inters her remains in the crypt so she can be with Tristan again.
I really liked that they added that.
I didn't have room in my party for a resurrected Isolde, anyway;since she's Old Faith, she isn't a good fit for this RC playthrough, unlike Guinevere who is both Old Faith and Rightful, so the two cancel each other. If I ever play a second time as PT, then I'll resurrect Isolde with Tristan still in the Round Table, though I doubt I'd want to keep Tristan for long afterward.

Why do you think you're entitled to have complete information without earning it by levelling the characters? Because you want it a lot? I want a fire engine.
fire-engine_1f692.png

It's fine with me if you have more fun when you cheat. Some of us respect the intent of the developers and can even appreciate being given clear boundaries on what information we do and do not receive. Myself, I prefer playing a game to playing with a game. The distinction is subtle but important I think.
Odd that you equate cheating with obtaining essential information about character development for party members who are irrevocably lost if dismissed (and would fall greatly behind in levels if left as an aspirant to the Round Table). :M This is merely info that should be available in the game.

Zombra

Patron
This is merely info that should be available in the game.
That information would be "essential" only if you could literally not play the game without it. You can indeed play the game without circumventing the rules about how information is acquired; therefore the information is not essential. It's just information you want a lot.

You think the rules (hidden information) about how information is dispensed should be different, so you circumvent them. That's cheating.

It's just
math_count.png

Attachments

• bird.gif
    bird.gif
    2 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
Man, I was going to comment on how late game Act III and the beginning of Act IV have become a complete cake walk on Hard, but then I realized that I had been playing the last four missions on fucking Story mode difficulty. For some reason the game changed the difficulty setting ... Unbelievable. Time to redo the four missions again, hooray!

On a side note:
0MNjgj3.png

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Eh, calling the game "broken" or "an unbalanced mess" is a hyperbole here.
That is just an excuse. Some people like to shitpost about the game they hadn't played (and don't intend to play) using "popular" topics, like ugly models or writing, but in this case, when the game is less known and it's slights are more obscure, we can observe some rabid shitposting about other people and their tastes instead.

Harthwain

Magister
That is just an excuse. Some people like to shitpost about the game they hadn't played (and don't intend to play) using "popular" topics, like ugly models or writing, but in this case, when the game is less known and it's slights are more obscure, we can observe some rabid shitposting about other people and their tastes instead.
While I do agree with what you're saying in general, I though Zombra did play the game and found it to be good/decent?

Codex Year of the Donut
I think the vanguard stuff was mostly an oversight on their part. Because I didn't even take Balin I was completely unaware of how good vanguard was due to Tristan being rather weak.

And to be fair, they're just decent until you start stacking certain relics.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
And to be fair, they're just decent until you start stacking certain relics.

I disagree - I got some of the good damage relics but none of the really OP AP relics, and they still kick ass.

I do agree it was probably an oversight though. Just put a longer cooldown on jump and you basically fix the entire issue

Harthwain

Magister
I do agree it was probably an oversight though. Just put a longer cooldown on jump and you basically fix the entire issue
I would argue Jump won't make much difference.

I took MP skills (they also grant Perception, which is useful for loot AND traps), have extra AP skills, extra AP items, backstab/stealth damage items and the item that reduces the spotting distance by 1 (which is way more amazing than it sounds), so my Vanguard can walk next to an enemy and kill 2 or three enemies in a single turn.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

I took MP skills (they also grant Perception, which is useful for loot AND traps), have extra AP skills, extra AP items, backstab/stealth damage items and the item that reduces the spotting distance by 1 (which is way more amazing than it sounds), so my Vanguard can walk next to an enemy and kill 2 or three enemies in a single turn.

It's true that hide would still be an issue, but at least you'd have to spend movement ap to do stuff

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I concur.
The thing that turned my precious Boudicea from an alright gal into blood-splattering goddess of furious backstabbery is the ring of teleportation.
I only need jump to get out, not to get in.

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I was chain killing all the same in chapter 4 even without any +AP per kill item equipped. Vanguard can restore +2 AP per kill from the talents and I had gave mine the essence that gives another +1. There are also items and talent that give +movement points when you start your turn stealthed. I also gave my vanguard teleport ring and it was quite good to start the chain from the best position, since teleport has less LoS restriction comparing to Jump.

Harthwain

Magister
It's true that hide would still be an issue, but at least you'd have to spend movement ap to do stuff
This is specifically why I took skills that give free MPs.

I concur.
The thing that turned my precious Boudicea from an alright gal into blood-splattering goddess of furious backstabbery is the ring of teleportation.
I only need jump to get out, not to get in.
Please do remind me, is the ring's ability once per encounter or once per mission?

I was chain killing all the same in chapter 4 even without any +AP per kill item equipped. Vanguard can restore +2 AP per kill from the talents and I had gave mine the essence that gives another +1.
There are items that give MPs per kill. Not sure if these are as restricted as AP per kill (which currently are limited to +AP per kill per turn) so that's something worth checking, because this could sustain the killing spree for a bit longer.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom