Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter King Arthur: Knight's Tale - dark fantasy turn-based tactical RPG from NeocoreGames - Legion IX expansion coming in early 2024

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I concur.
The thing that turned my precious Boudicea from an alright gal into blood-splattering goddess of furious backstabbery is the ring of teleportation.
I only need jump to get out, not to get in.
Please do remind me, is the ring's ability once per encounter or once per mission?

Once per encounter.

I'd give her the ring even if it was one per mission though, for that +5 loyalty bonus.
The heartless barbarian biatch is both neutral and does not care for court titles of civilized people.
So the only way to make her love me is to give her shiny baubles like that.

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I dropped this in Act IV, probably near the end. The CTRL+V encounter design in the last act killed it imo. Just big rooms of mobs waiting to be backstabbed, iced or zapped with lightning. I ran out of enthusiasm for firing it up and wanted my 120GB back.

Decent for 40 hours, but a bit too long for it's own good and no way GOTY material.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
I think the vanguard stuff was mostly an oversight on their part. Because I didn't even take Balin I was completely unaware of how good vanguard was due to Tristan being rather weak.
Yes, I also missed Balin and found Tristan to be somewhat underwhelming, although vanguards tend to become relatively more powerful over time due to accumulating certain upgrades, especially once you gain access to Tier 3 and take the hide-AP upgrade and the backstab-damage upgrade.

I concur.
The thing that turned my precious Boudicea from an alright gal into blood-splattering goddess of furious backstabbery is the ring of teleportation.
I only need jump to get out, not to get in.
Please do remind me, is the ring's ability once per encounter or once per mission?

Once per encounter.

I'd give her the ring even if it was one per mission though, for that +5 loyalty bonus.
The heartless barbarian biatch is both neutral and does not care for court titles of civilized people.
So the only way to make her love me is to give her shiny baubles like that.
As soon as I obtained enough relic dust fairly early in the game, I purchased the ring of teleportation for my champion, who can make excellent use of this ability even though limited to once per encounter, whereas vanguards already have jump for mobility.

Boudicea can have her loyalty increased by sending her away for suitable events; for vanguards, I also have Tegyr, who starts with +3 loyalty from the Loyal trait and has massive loyalty increases from morality and religion.

Harthwain

Magister
Somebody mentioned that it's hard to pass on items that guarantee a killing blow (if target is left less than 15% Vitality it's killed instead) and I have to agree. Dindraine had such bow and it proved invaluable in killing off enemies, and giving her APs back from Adrenaline. In particular I mean ranged, weakened or Lost opponents. Ranged, because you remove damage dealers before they can hit you. Weakned, because you don't have to waste any more AP to finish them off. Lost, because you don't have to clean up corpses (doubly useful against Crossbowmen). I specifically bought her a Lucky Charm Relic as she outgrew her bow. Frankly, she is a beast in her own right in my opinion.

Similarly Champions can make great use of such items to get their Cleave-Rage streak going (Kay was proof of the concept, and now Brunor le Noir and Black Knight are pretty much set to replace him as soon as The Round Table gets too small. I MAY consider replacying Kay with White Knight. Not sure. Having 3 Champions is a lot. Then again, I have only Balin as a Vanguard and won't take any purely Old-Faith or Rightful knights, so there might be just enough space. We shall see... Morgawse is the biggest question mark here. It's either her or Lucan. Both will end up being kind of net neutral in the end and I want at least one Sage).

Other than that, I need to replace Pelleas soon as he's starting to dislike me more and more as I am Christian - Tyrant and he's Rightful, but both Red Knight and Galahad are fairly away (equally 5 points for their respective requirements). I don't like having a single defender (especially Mordred, who is bound to be mandatory for some missions), so I am hoping for Percivale's mission to come up soon.

Which means I am stuck with Guinevere who literally hates my guts (Old-Faith - Rightful and Disloyal on top of that). I mean, given that I am her polar opposite (alignment-wise) -4 Loyalty is not that bad (I gave her a looted ring that grants +2 Loyalty and made her Guardian of the Lady). Talk about Boudicea being hard to please... I may need to send her on some missions and hope for a good result until then.

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
As soon as I obtained enough relic dust fairly early in the game, I purchased the ring of teleportation for my champion, who can make excellent use of this ability even though limited to once per encounter, whereas vanguards already have jump for mobility.

Boudicea can have her loyalty increased by sending her away for suitable events; for vanguards, I also have Tegyr, who starts with +3 loyalty from the Loyal trait and has massive loyalty increases from morality and religion.

Balan was my best hitman till the end act 2.
But lower-cost and higher damage of vanguard's backstabs turned champion into the 5th wheel.

I agree on Tegyr, he's pretty good and I still field him when Lady B is out of commission.
But he's Christian (and I'm righteous cthulhu) so he does not like it very much when I torn out crosses to erect druidic menhirs.
Still he's content having a seat of Champion of Faith and his righteous bonuses cancel out religion penalties.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
That is just an excuse. Some people like to shitpost about the game they hadn't played (and don't intend to play) using "popular" topics, like ugly models or writing, but in this case, when the game is less known and it's slights are more obscure, we can observe some rabid shitposting about other people and their tastes instead.
While I do agree with what you're saying in general, I though Zombra did play the game and found it to be good/decent?
Nah. I just needed something to argue about over Mem Day Weekend. Of course whether I've played this or not has no bearing upon the argument itself. Thanks everyone for keeping me entertained and I hope you're all enjoying the game!

Oropay

Educated
Working on level ~17 missions. Release build. Difficulty: Hard. Party comp: Mordred, Balin, Balan, Morgawse. Morality: Old Faith Tyrant

Game is becoming more ruthless now with each new and side mission in Act III. The new enemy types have a huge HP pool, and some of their attacks, and attack combinations are really nasty. Also, some of the side missions in Act III are insane. I thought that that "The Wild Hunt" mission was pretty tough, but then I played the "The Red Knight" mission, and ooooofff, barely managed to do it with my A-Team (which means a lot of injuries and less vitality for the next missions). The difficulty curve on Hard is still good, imo
Just played The Red Knight mission myself, while overleveled, and it would be scary at the recommended level. I'm playing the release build though, and I know without a doubt a lot of the encounters have been massively nerfed in the most recent build, having watched streamers playing some of the tougher missions, such as the Bedivere recruitment mission. Regarding HP pools and enemy skills in Act III, there's one main answer: vanguard. Kill them before they can even use their stuns, etc. Having said that, my party has a variety of mental and physical stuns and AP saps for enemies that can't be immediately killed. Mordred and Morgawse have ranged stuns (mental) and four enemy AP zaps (mental). Morgawse can also freeze (physical) every turn while in melee range because of skill upgrades and a relic item. Mordred and Balan can also knockdown, and Balan can stun with power attack (all physical). It's pretty rare to come across enemies with both mental and physical resistances, so I can keep most enemies out of the fight for quite a while, and of course Balin can kill anything that's not stunned or crippled.

the only means in-game of learning a character's higher-tier abilities is to unlock them by obtaining enough skill points via levelling, which is unhelpful when making a decision such as whether to keep Leodegrance or Lucan as my back-up sage[...]. This is a lengthy game with a limited number of available characters, further restricted by the number who can be active in the Round Table and by the inability to recall any dismissed characters. It isn't merely a matter of optimizing the strength of one's party but also having as much fun as possible with the abilities of the characters.
I see your point, but I think the characters' alignments generally indicate which are 'supposed' to be in your party and which are most useful, of course because of the loyalty buffs. +20% dmg and +1AP is nothing to sneeze at.

I dropped this in Act IV, probably near the end. The CTRL+V encounter design in the last act killed it imo. Just big rooms of mobs waiting to be backstabbed, iced or zapped with lightning. I ran out of enthusiasm for firing it up and wanted my 120GB back. Decent for 40 hours, but a bit too long for it's own good and no way GOTY material.
Partially agree, but I've been playing (lackadaisically) for much longer than 40 hours and I still have the motivation to boot it up, just not usually for full day play sessions like today. The level design is getting somewhat tiresome.

Somebody mentioned that it's hard to pass on items that guarantee a killing blow (if target is left less than 15% Vitality it's killed instead) and I have to agree.
Agreed, Balin at LV17 sill has a LV5 relic with that passive. It scales really well. Some of the Formorians have 500HP, which means that 15% is worth 75 dmg in that particular case. Finally about to replace Balin's killing blow relic with a LV15 relic, but damn, it's served me well.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
So, about Morgana Le Fay
NGIJaJM.png

It's really just the item combination (Sneak attack for Mages is insane), but still, her spells hurt the most nontheless. Also, enemies seem to have pathfinding problem when there is a ice wall nearby, since they kinda stick to the wall instead of going around it. This also makes the item combo really deadly, since a fully upgraded ice wall will freeze and chill enemies too when it bursts.

i2ozuh3.jpg

Last edited:

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
So, about Morgana Le Fay
NGIJaJM.png

It's really just the item combination (Sneak attack for Mages is insane), but still, her spells hurt the most nontheless. Also, enemies seem to have pathfinding problem when there is a ice wall nearby, since they kinda stick to the wall instead of going around it. This also makes the item combo really deadly, since a fully upgraded ice wall will freeze and chill enemies too.

i2ozuh3.jpg
It looks pretty good.
But I'm having a hard time choosing between Merlin and Morgana.
Marge seems to have higher damage potential, but I got used to relying on Merlin's control - Mind Fog and Illusion.

mikaelis

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
Diablo1_reborn
So, how is this Ice Wall works? I thought it is only for defensive purpose (to delay enemy approach and block their path), so I never invested in it.

Are the enemies actually dumb enough to attack it (and get frozen)?

Can you cast it ON the enemy (to stop them)?

Or how to use it effectively?

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Diablo1_reborn
So, how is this Ice Wall works? I thought it is only for defensive purpose (to delay enemy approach and block their path), so I never invested in it.

Are the enemies actually dumb enough to attack it (and get frozen)?

Can you cast it ON the enemy (to stop them)?

Or how to use it effectively?

Enemies rarely attack it and can easly be stuck near it. Wtih its freezing on destoyed and chilling upgrades you got yourself a hell of a crowd control.
It saved my skin many times on very hard.
You cannot cast in directly enemy but can easly encircle them, especially with more tiles upgrade.

I had it on Lady Guinevere and with her CD lowering passive, late game was a breeze (heh)

notpl

Arbiter
Ice Wall is indeed very useful, but the fact that it completely breaks the simplistic enemy AI and they neither smash it nor go around it is more of a "con" than a "pro" in my mind.

Last edited:

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Ice Wall is indeed very useful, but the fact that it completely breaks the simplistic enemy AI and they neither smash it nor go around it is more of a "con" than a "pro" in my mind.

Yes, it feels less like tactics and more like exploiting a shit AI when you start using Ice wall. Plus some of the larger mobs are two spaces wide and Ice wall can easily block them against obstacles/ other enemies and nullify them almost entirely.

azra_man

Barely Literate
reduced the game's directory size from 120gb to 34gb after reencoding the textures, reducing the ridiculous sized ones, and using transparent compression(because they should be capable of using a fucking zip file for their assets), still half the size uncompressed though
:nocountryforshitposters:
HEEELP PLEASE

Can you you send me or type here detail malual how to reduce size of the game. I have RX580 4Gb VRAM and huge issue in FPS. I folow this instuctio with no succes.

Unpacking files:
FORFILES /p "D:\King Arthur Knights Tale" /m *.n2pk /s /c "cmd /c D:\N2PK\unpack-n2pk.py @path"
This scans files located in D:\King Arthur Knights Tale, and unpacks contents using unpack-n2pk.py located in D:\N2PK - Alter these to reflect your locations.

Deleting N2PK files:
FORFILES /p "D:\King Arthur Knights Tale" /m *.n2pk /s /c "cmd /c del @path"

TexConv:
Copy texconv.exe to game directory and run command from there:
For max 2K Images (dx9.2)
for /r %i in (*.dds) do texconv -fl 9.2 -pow2 -bc x -y "%i" -o "%~dpi
For max 4K Images (dx9.3)
for /r %i in (*.dds) do texconv -fl 9.3 -pow2 -bc x -y "%i" -o "%~dpi

My game location is C:\Games\King Arthur Knight's Tale and I have download https://github.com/mome-borogove/40K-n2pk-converter and https://github.com/Microsoft/DirectXTex/wiki/Texconv but dont know how to use it.

PLEASE!!!!!!!!!

Codex Year of the Donut
reduced the game's directory size from 120gb to 34gb after reencoding the textures, reducing the ridiculous sized ones, and using transparent compression(because they should be capable of using a fucking zip file for their assets), still half the size uncompressed though
:nocountryforshitposters:
HEEELP PLEASE

Can you you send me or type here detail malual how to reduce size of the game. I have RX580 4Gb VRAM and huge issue in FPS. I folow this instuctio with no succes.

Unpacking files:
FORFILES /p "D:\King Arthur Knights Tale" /m *.n2pk /s /c "cmd /c D:\N2PK\unpack-n2pk.py @path"
This scans files located in D:\King Arthur Knights Tale, and unpacks contents using unpack-n2pk.py located in D:\N2PK - Alter these to reflect your locations.

Deleting N2PK files:
FORFILES /p "D:\King Arthur Knights Tale" /m *.n2pk /s /c "cmd /c del @path"

TexConv:
Copy texconv.exe to game directory and run command from there:
For max 2K Images (dx9.2)
for /r %i in (*.dds) do texconv -fl 9.2 -pow2 -bc x -y "%i" -o "%~dpi
For max 4K Images (dx9.3)
for /r %i in (*.dds) do texconv -fl 9.3 -pow2 -bc x -y "%i" -o "%~dpi

My game location is C:\Games\King Arthur Knight's Tale and I have download https://github.com/mome-borogove/40K-n2pk-converter and https://github.com/Microsoft/DirectXTex/wiki/Texconv but dont know how to use it.

PLEASE!!!!!!!!!
Can you be more specific about what the problem is?
The unpack-n2pk.py script would require Python to be installed which probably isn't on most Windows computers.

azra_man

Barely Literate
Can you be more specific about what the problem is?
The unpack-n2pk.py script would require Python to be installed which probably isn't on most Windows computers.

I manage to unpack files to folder on another drive and folder. I have Python instaled. So game instal is on C:\Games\King Arthur Knight's Tale, unpack files are on D:\King (abouth 8Gb size). What is next step, command.....

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
Finished the game.

The last boss was kinda lame, but the difficulty was good and stayed fair until to the end. The game keeps on going after the main campaign, but there is no voice acting involved, and it's just a lot of fights on maps you've already beaten. Have to say though that it's getting a little bit tedious to just fight without any story interactions or dialogues, but I guess the money was just not there. Didn't even know that PvP was a thing until I checked their Kickstarter page. Not sure if such a feature was really necessary.

Anyway. Incredible game. Everyone who loves Tactical RPG's should get it.

mikaelis

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
Yeah end-game seems like budget problems sold as missions that continue the neverending story. Although it is built with another end-game boss in mind (haven't finished those yet)

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Finished the game.

The last boss was kinda lame, but the difficulty was good and stayed fair until to the end. The game keeps on going after the main campaign, but there is no voice acting involved, and it's just a lot of fights on maps you've already beaten. Have to say though that it's getting a little bit tedious to just fight without any story interactions or dialogues, but I guess the money was just not there. Didn't even know that PvP was a thing until I checked their Kickstarter page. Not sure if such a feature was really necessary.

Anyway. Incredible game. Everyone who loves Tactical RPG's should get it.

Thanks for that. I thought they might create a cliff wall difficulty spike for the end boss like they did in Van Helsing.

Harthwain

Magister
I got Damas and I have to say I am very disappointed. Not only is he extremely poison-oriented Marksman (which I don't like, because the Lost are immune to it), his style is not matching that of Ector, as I expected from his description. Mainly because the voice actor wasn't able to get the Robin Hood-esqueness of the character (or at least that's my impression of how Damas was supposed to sound like).

Morgawse is a great addition to the Round Table. I am glad I took her, despite my initial concerns. She is Old-Faith, but Tyrant evens this out and she gets extra loyalty from Guardian of the Lady title and Thankful trait (gets +1 Loyalty per slot filled with a Relic item), so I am able to keep her quite happy (evenmoreso when a mission appears that the Old-Faith character may be suited for, as she is the only Old-Faith person I have, after I kicked Guinevere once I got Percivale, who himself is a pretty good Defender and pairs well with Champions by boosting their damage and APs) and her spells are useful for weakening enemies to set up kills for the Champions and the overall crowd control. I would have much bigger problems with Merlin.

I also like Black Knight A LOT. His Leap Attack can be crazy strong (stronger even that Ector's Fire Blast, which in itself is great) and it will only get better (Extra Area Damage, Damage Focus). I have to say I can't see either Brunor nor White Knight being able to match what he can do.

lycanwarrior

Scholar
Got stuck at the Bridge of Sorrow in Act 3 as the healing fires are scarce and they just throw mobs at you per each boss. Not to mention the Lost Ones will regenerate if you don't kill their corpses in time.

Using Mordred, Lady Dindraine, Lady Boutica (SP?) and Sir Balan if anyone has any advice.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Got stuck at the Bridge of Sorrow in Act 3 as the healing fires are scarce and they just throw mobs at you per each boss. Not to mention the Lost Ones will regenerate if you don't kill their corpses in time.

Using Mordred, Lady Dindraine, Lady Boutica (SP?) and Sir Balan if anyone has any advice.
I used Lady Dindraine for one mission early in Act 3, but that was the last use of a marksman in my game. Balan the champion should be able to accumulate damage bonuses from his rage abilities by finishing off Lost Ones (though Kay is better). Having Guinevere or another sage in place of Dindraine would allow you to use the bless/inspire abilities for a stronger start to every encounter.

Harthwain

Magister
Since you're in Act 3, I'd drop Dindraine and Balan for a sage and an arcanist of your choice.
I can understand replacing Dindraine with an Arcanist (Ector, Merlin and Faerie Knight are all great in terms of area of damage and fairly easy to get), but any Champion is great, provided you have an item (or items) that gives you extra damage per kill (either for 2 turns or per encounter), because you can Cleave or Earth Shaker your way through enemies. They are also very useful as off-tanks, particularly the ones who can give themselves Temporary Armour/Health and feed themselves with Vengeance, before they start cleaning the board.

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Since you're in Act 3, I'd drop Dindraine and Balan for a sage and an arcanist of your choice.
I can understand replacing Dindraine with an Arcanist (Ector, Merlin and Faerie Knight are all great in terms of area of damage and fairly easy to get), but any Champion is great, provided you have an item (or items) that gives you extra damage per kill (either for 2 turns or per encounter), because you can Cleave or Earth Shaker your way through enemies. They are also very useful as off-tanks, particularly the ones who can give themselves Temporary Armour/Health and feed themselves with Vengeance, before they start cleaning the board.

I used champions extensively in the first 2 acts.
But lack of mobility is one of their downsides, being a one-trick pony is the other.
Leveled up sage brings much more to the table than just damage output.

I play on Very Hard and even buffed up Champ's damage is often not enough, I need more control and sages give me that.

My sage is Lady Guinevere.
With Globe of Protection she can 1-hit tank the same or better then champions with Defensive Stance.
She hits like a wet noodle, true. But she can teleport and spot control with her Freezing Hand,
she buffs up AP for everyone, reduces cooldowns for everyone, gives +30% to my vanguard, blinds enemies, builds ice walls.
Her numerous abilities to delay or disable enemies provide me with more tactical options, I like that.

But there's more then one ways to to skin a cat. If champs work for you, all the better.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom