Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter King Arthur: Knight's Tale - dark fantasy turn-based tactical RPG from NeocoreGames - Legion IX expansion coming in early 2024

Parabalus

Arcane
Since you're in Act 3, I'd drop Dindraine and Balan for a sage and an arcanist of your choice.
I can understand replacing Dindraine with an Arcanist (Ector, Merlin and Faerie Knight are all great in terms of area of damage and fairly easy to get), but any Champion is great, provided you have an item (or items) that gives you extra damage per kill (either for 2 turns or per encounter), because you can Cleave or Earth Shaker your way through enemies. They are also very useful as off-tanks, particularly the ones who can give themselves Temporary Armour/Health and feed themselves with Vengeance, before they start cleaning the board.

I used champions extensively in the first 2 acts.
But lack of mobility is one of their downsides, being a one-trick pony is the other.
Leveled up sage brings much more to the table than just damage output.

I play on Very Hard and even buffed up Champ's damage is often not enough, I need more control and sages give me that.

My sage is Lady Guinevere.
With Globe of Protection she can 1-hit tank the same or better then champions with Defensive Stance.
She hits like a wet noodle, true. But she can teleport and spot control with her Freezing Hand,
she buffs up AP for everyone, reduces cooldowns for everyone, gives +30% to my vanguard, blinds enemies, builds ice walls.
Her numerous abilities to delay or disable enemies provide me with more tactical options, I like that.

But there's more then one ways to to skin a cat. If champs work for you, all the better.

There's an item that gives her stacking +15% damage per spell cast, with it you can one-shot a mob after teleporting to sneak backstab.

Not really comparable to champions or vanguards, but does pack a punch.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
I used champions extensively in the first 2 acts.
But lack of mobility is one of their downsides, being a one-trick pony is the other.

I play on Very Hard and even buffed up Champ's damage is often not enough, I need more control and sages give me that.
The first relic I purchased from the arcane tower, just before the end of Act I, was a ring of teleportation that greatly eases the champion's mobility, though it is restricted to one use per encounter (it also provides a +5 loyalty bonus, which was particularly helpful for neutral Sir Kay).

For nearly every mission in Acts III and IV, my party consisted of Mordred, a champion (preferably Kay), a vanguard (Tegyr or Boudicea), and a sage (usually Guinevere, sometimes Lucan). Aside from straight damage-dealing, champions can also slow via earthshaker and stun via power attack; once they gain access to Tier III abilities, they can even gain a free attack every time they kill someone.

game is okay, don't like the color coded itemization, makes my boner go limp, plus the samey looking windows looking tokens they use to represent the items for each class instead of an actual individual and unique picture for each type of Armour or magic item etc..makes me feel like I am playing a windows phone game sometimes

Harthwain

Magister
I used champions extensively in the first 2 acts. But lack of mobility is one of their downsides [...]
Mobility can be helped by giving your Champions certain items and by waiting for enemies to come to you - you'll have to spend less APs/MPs to get to them AND you will have extra APs that way. It also allows your ranged characters to weaken certain opponents in various ways.

[...] being a one-trick pony is the other.
Being a one-trick pony is not a problem though when said trick allows you to cut down scores of enemies. Same can be said about Vanguards, although I will have to admit that I do find traps to be a great opening move as it slows down enemies even further, while dealing some damage all the while your Vanguard is getting into position for backstabbing.

That's true. Mordred and Morgawse and great in terms of crowd control for me.

With Globe of Protection she can 1-hit tank the same or better then champions with Defensive Stance.
You don't want to tank just a single hit. You want to tank more, because you'll get bonus damage for all hits and extra benefits (such as APs). By the time it's your turn you should be able to kill multiple enemies with a single cleave and then kill some more enemies with the extra APs you're getting. But this opinion of mine may be somewhat skewed by the fact that as Christian - Tyrant I lack access to many Arcanists or Sages (have only Morgawse) due to alignment issues and my main way to clean the multiple foes is by the way of using Cleave (Ector can only use his Fire Blast once in a while and that's pretty much all I had in terms of area of attack for a long time, aside from said Cleave) and ramping up damage.

However, I admit I am playing on Hard, so it may be a different story on Very Hard.

game is okay, don't like the color coded itemization, makes my boner go limp, plus the samey looking windows looking tokens they use to represent the items for each class instead of an actual individual and unique picture for each type of Armour or magic item etc..makes me feel like I am playing a windows phone game sometimes
Eh, if that's your complaint then the game must be good. I am not a fan of color-coded itemization either, but that's mostly because power of items isn't exactly tied to their color-code

Last edited:
I used champions extensively in the first 2 acts. But lack of mobility is one of their downsides [...]
Mobility can be helped by giving your Champions certain items and by waiting for enemies to come to you - you'll have to spend less APs/MPs to get to them AND you will have extra APs that way. It also allows your ranged characters to weaken certain opponents in various ways.

[...] being a one-trick pony is the other.
Being a one-trick pony is not a problem though when said trick allows you to cut down scores of enemies. Same can be said about Vanguards, although I will have to admit that I do find traps to be a great opening move as it slows down enemies even further, while dealing some damage all the while your Vanguard is getting into position for backstabbing.

That's true. Mordred and Morgawse and great in terms of crowd control for me.

You don't want to tank just a single hit. You want to tank more, because you'll get bonus damage for all hits and extra benefits (such as APs). By the time it's your turn you should be able to kill multiple enemies with a single cleave and then kill some more enemies with the extra APs you're getting. But this opinion of mine may be somewhat skewed by the fact that as Christian - Tyrant I lack access to many Arcanists or Sages (have only Morgawse) due to alignment issues and my main way to clean the multiple foes is by the way of using Cleave (Ector can only use his Fire Blast once in a while and that's pretty much all I had in terms of area of attack for a long time, aside from said Cleave) and ramping up damage.

However, I admit I am playing on Hard, so it may be a different story on Very Hard.

Eh, if that's your complaint then the game must be good. I am not a fan of color-coded itemization either, but that's mostly because power of items isn't exactly tied to their color-code
dont like it because it lacks creativity. They put a lot of work into making cool looking characters then make windows looking itemization tokens to click on that are all the same, makes it feel like a continuation of a windows program..like the little armor picture with the class based design on each one..its lame..and what is even lamer is entire generation of game designers just think "that is how you design RPG's and do items in RPG's" now..its really fucking weak, and infected every game basically and they possibly don't even know they are doing anything 'wrong'

and yes, I realize they are 'magic stones' or something they are putting in their armor or weapons, but why did they choose this design choice? IMO because its easy and lazy instead of having to design new weapons and armor or change the look of the character each time they get new gear..instead 'magic stones'..okay..

Last edited:

Parabalus

Arcane
and yes, I realize they are 'magic stones' or something they are putting in their armor or weapons, but why did they choose this design choice? IMO because its easy and lazy instead of having to design new weapons and armor or change the look of the character each time they get new gear..instead 'magic stones'..okay..

I liked this choice, gives the characters a unique, persistent look.

Very refreshing compared to the usual peasant looking lvl 1 items, reaching their current starting look at max level.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I liked this choice, gives the characters a unique, persistent look.

Very refreshing compared to the usual peasant looking lvl 1 items, reaching their current starting look at max level.
Me too, I prefer armor and weapon to have more persistence than getting replaced every two levels.

After all, king Arthur didn't stitch excalibur at level 5 for a generic +5/+5 sword.

Last edited:

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
The first relic I purchased from the arcane tower, just before the end of Act I, was a ring of teleportation that greatly eases the champion's mobility, though it is restricted to one use per encounter (it also provides a +5 loyalty bonus, which was particularly helpful for neutral Sir Kay).

For nearly every mission in Acts III and IV, my party consisted of Mordred, a champion (preferably Kay), a vanguard (Tegyr or Boudicea), and a sage (usually Guinevere, sometimes Lucan). Aside from straight damage-dealing, champions can also slow via earthshaker and stun via power attack; once they gain access to Tier III abilities, they can even gain a free attack every time they kill someone.

It's a sign of a good game design that different tactic works for different people.

We've discussed the Ring of Teleportation briefly before, with it equipped my vanguard can annihilate the whole backline of archers and casters (and that's after AP-gain nerf) and hide afterwards to continue the massacre on the next turn.

And I can't imagine playing without an arcanist.
Given they are more different from each other then champions, but Merlin in particular is a beast, providing me with both control and area damage.

Harthwain

Magister
dont like it because it lacks creativity. They put a lot of work into making cool looking characters then make windows looking itemization tokens to click on that are all the same, makes it feel like a continuation of a windows program..like the little armor picture with the class based design on each one..its lame..and what is even lamer is entire generation of game designers just think "that is how you design RPG's and do items in RPG's" now..its really fucking weak, and infected every game basically and they possibly don't even know they are doing anything 'wrong'
It's not realistic to expect from developers to hand-craft an icon for EVERY SINGLE generated item. They already have quite varied visuals for each item "class" (provision, jewerly, artifact, manuscript, etc.):

20220607184555-1.jpg
I have no idea, but I - for one - do like the set designs of knights. Sure, it would be cool to have a different look for each piece of armour, but this kind of mish-mash would also be hard to pull off without making it look ridiculous and wouldn't bring much to the gameplay itself, so I can easily understand if the developers decided it's not the best use of their limited time and resources.

mikaelis

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
Ok, I played some of end-game missions and meh. Crazy excess of enemies with super-inflated HP and AP. Also dealing crazy damage (one normal creature, with two hit in one turn depleted all HP and some Vitality points of my Lancelot).

Also, battle after battle with no real story.

I cannot imagine grinding through the levels to reach enough exp to battle Balor. :negative: I am stopping here unfortunately.

I hope free DLC they announced for June will not be continuation of this grind shitfest with no story.

It's not realistic to expect from developers to hand-craft an icon for EVERY SINGLE generated item. They already have quite varied visuals for each item "class" (provision, jewerly, artifact, manuscript, etc.):

20220607184555-1.jpg
I have no idea, but I - for one - do like the set designs of knights. Sure, it would be cool to have a different look for each piece of armour, but this kind of mish-mash would also be hard to pull off without making it look ridiculous and wouldn't bring much to the gameplay itself, so I can easily understand if the developers decided it's not the best use of their limited time and resources.

I concede that you have some good points, thus I gave your reply a brofist.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
Ok, I played some of end-game missions and meh. Crazy excess of enemies with super-inflated HP and AP. Also dealing crazy damage (one normal creature, with two hit in one turn depleted all HP and some Vitality points of my Lancelot).

Also, battle after battle with no real story.

I cannot imagine grinding through the levels to reach enough exp to battle Balor. :negative: I am stopping here unfortunately.

I hope free DLC they announced for June will not be continuation of this grind shitfest with no story.

I got to the end, and there really is nothing to talk about besides maybe the last boss fights that were kinda challenging. It's like 17 extra missions of just fighting. Just drop it now and go maybe for anothe run with different team combinations.

d1r

Patron
Two screenshots of the last two encounters of the game if anyone is interested:

One Hydralisk coming up please!
NNGky9j.png

The fight against Balor was pretty rough. Definitely challenging even on HARD.
w5D7JDP.png

somerandomdude

Learned
Is this game any good? Does it have actual solid gameplay, and story, and without any woke garbage, like buckets of KFC and empty cans of Colt 45 and empty bottles of Mad Dog 20/20 at Arthur's round table?

Story matters less, as long as the gameplay is good, with no woke garbage and token diversity.

d1r

Patron
Is this game any good? Does it have actual solid gameplay, and story, and without any woke garbage, like buckets of KFC and empty cans of Colt 45 and empty bottles of Mad Dog 20/20 at Arthur's round table?

Story matters less, as long as the gameplay is good, with no woke garbage and token diversity.

There is not even one black character in this game!
:takemyjewgold:

somerandomdude

Learned

I'll check it out, and maybe grab it when it's on sale.

d1r

Patron

I'll check it out, and maybe grab it when it's on sale.

It's worth the full price tbh.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

black knight hurrrrr

d1r

Patron

black knight hurrrrr

And I thought you were talking about the fomorians here.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
1655553591060.png

Banished and imprisoned, Balor still found a way to command his army and break free from the chains binding him. How? All will be revealed in The Chained God, Knight's Tale's first major update coming soon!

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1157390/view/5148191896101403119
The Chained God - Out June 23
Knights,

these past few weeks were spent busy around the studio, and we're super excited to announce that Knight's Tale's first major update will hit Steam in just 3 days! This means that come June 23, you will be able to embark on a mini-adventure to find out how Balor, the monstrous God-King of the Fomorians managed to free himself from the chains binding him. And we've got a couple more things in store too!

Revamped Endgame

First off all, with the new patch, we're reworking the structure of the Endgame in manner similar to Seasons in other titles. This means that each seasonal content update will focus on a new enemy faction, this time around the Fomorians. The Endgame will consist dozens of maps (just like in the current iteration), 12 of which are against the season's main antagonist faction. Besides this, you will be able to earn seasonal currency that you can exchange for unique rewards and enchants, as well as power-ups for these items.

Fixes & balance changes

We're also addressing various balance issues and several bugs reported by the amazing people in the community - our gratitude goes out to everyone who reported these to us on the forums and through Discord. With these, you can expect a more balanced experience and fewer difficulty spikes during the campaign, no matter which difficulty level you're playing on.

Guess the guest!

Last but not least, we have a surprise guest appearance in this update, someone who many of you are familiar with. Let's keep their identity a secret for now, but make sure to check back later this week to find out. Until then, get those cogs turning and leave your guesses in the comments!

Avalon awaits!

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
This game just keep getting better and better!: https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1157390/view/5148191896105102348

Reduced install size coming on Thursday

Knights!

One of the most requested features to be added - or rather removed - was addressing Knight's Tale's install size. We're happy to announce that after in-depth testing we found a working solution that allows us to keep the game's visual fidelity while significantly reducing install size, and it's going live with the next update on Thursday.

With this fix, the game's directory will take up nearly 60% (!!!), or roughly 70GB less space
, on your disk. We achieved this by compressing most texture files so that Knight's Tale is less demanding on storage devices.

Please note that the update will be larger than a normal patch,
but once everything has finished downloading and installing, the overall file size of King Arthur: Knight's Tale will decrease significantly.

Once again, we'd like to thank everyone who voiced their feedback on this matter.

See you all on Thursday for the release of The Chained God!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom