Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

King of Dragon Pass (Android Release)

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
King of Dragon Pass has been released for Android.

http://kingofdragonpass.blogspot.com/2014/08/android.html

Since I’m not an Android user, I was a little surprised that the game was a medium-sized download, but when you first launch, you need to download the bulk of the assets. I thought the size limit was a thing of the past, but I guess this is standard and you’re probably used to it as an Android user.

In a discussion with HeroCraft, the subject of piracy came up. I have no experience with Android publishing, but they certainly do. It’s a sad fact that people steal games for any platform, but it appears to be worse on Android. If my publisher is concerned, then I am concerned, since affects my livelihood, which in turn affects my ability to make more games. And actual sales will encourage HeroCraft to bring their port to more mobile platforms.

I hate to remind people, because I don’t think it’s you, but buy the game, don’t pirate it. (This may protect you and your friends from malware, too.)

:rpgcodex:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.herocraft.kodp&hl=en

Tigranes

Arcane
$10 seems a lot. And then of course "please dont pirate my super old game which is now almost twice as expensive on android than on GOG." Protip, creator dude, try and get more involved in the process instead of listenign to everything 'HeroCraft' tells you.

If anyone gets it can they let us know about the port quality?

$10 seems a lot. And then of course "please dont pirate my super old game which is now almost twice as expensive on android than on GOG." Protip, creator dude, try and get more involved in the process instead of listenign to everything 'HeroCraft' tells you.

If anyone gets it can they let us know about the port quality?
Well, it's the same price that they are asking for an iOS version, which was self-published. HeroCraft partnership was needed for a port because A Sharp don't know how rework the code for android. iOS version has remastered graphics, A Sharp also fixed some bugs, and, IIRC, added some content. Not that I advocate higher prices, but in my opinion KoDP is worth it even without cosmetic changes.

Gord

Arcane
Are the graphics actually better?
I think I read somewhere on their blog that the iOS version uses lower res pictures than the old pc version.
That might be only the originally intended iPhone version, not the iPad one.
The fonts should render better, however, and they did indeed add new content.

A Sharp said:
The original version ran on Windows and Macintosh. We streamlined game play, added dozens of new stories, and reworked the interface for iOS.

And what do I have to expect from simplified/streamlined gameplay?

Regarding the price, an updated, expanded version of KoDP should definitely be worth 10$, imho.

Last edited:
Are the graphics actually better?
I think I read somewhere on their blog that the iOS version uses lower res pictures than the old pc version.
That might be only the originally intended iPhone version, not the iPad one.
The fonts should render better, however, and they did indeed add new content.

A Sharp said:
The original version ran on Windows and Macintosh. We streamlined game play, added dozens of new stories, and reworked the interface for iOS.

And what do I have to expect from simplified/streamlined gameplay?

Regarding the price, an updated, expanded version of KoDP should definitely be worth 10$, imho.
I've played the iPad version, graphics weren't blurry or resized. I don't think that gameplay was streamlined much, it's more of a marketing talk. Then again, I've played original version 10+ years ago, so my memory is a little fuzzy on finer details. Interface reworked for touchscreen worked quite well. Yeah, I know, decline and all that, but I, for example, can't play PC games at work or while commuting, and Android version will give me the chance to do just that.

The developer had got rid of the original copies of the artwork long before there was any talk about any ports, and all they had left were the 640 by 480 scans. Apparently the art didn't scale up nicely and they solved the issue in iPad and now Android versions by putting the art in corner and left the rest of the screen space for the UI. In the original version the art was full screen. (edit: some full screen AND some smaller 640x350 or so that left room for council portraits at the bottom) I haven't tried the new versions, but at least in screenshots they do look ok.

Last edited:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Fuck this asshole for not putting the additional content/improvements in the PC version. Blah blah blah I lost the source code. It's fucking 2014 how do you manage that?

Gord

Arcane
Given that he's doing basically only iOS development now, I guess we would have to wait for someone else wanting to do another port before we see a new PC version.

Tigranes

Arcane
Fuck this asshole for not putting the additional content/improvements in the PC version. Blah blah blah I lost the source code. It's fucking 2014 how do you manage that?

It wasn't 2014 when he lost the source code, I guess

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Considering it's only about 15 years old, losing it any time during that span is pretty inexplicable.

So I bought this, and I kinda regret this. It's a lazy port, worse than iOS version. Controls are too sensitive, so when you scroll down your options in heroquests and somesuch, you can (and you will) accidentally activate them, quite often. There's real dissonance between fonts which were left from base PC/Mac version, and DroidSans, which are used for some reason in some menus, but not the others. Interface fails to scale properly (on both small and large screens, I think). I have SGS Note 2, and the game doesn't seem to use it's hi-res display properly - many quests' options are cut, and you'll need to constantly scroll down to read them and to chose your action. Also they've tried to adapt interface for smaller screen (I don't know if it's Herocraft's fault or it already has been done in iPhone version), and controls are somewhat counter-intuitive. Oh, and tutorial messages are bugged. Game has also crashed on me, one time, but still, I've played it only for 15 minutes, so it could be even more buggy in later parts.

tl;dr Lazy port, right now buying isn't recommended. :(

Last edited:
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Good news. I have to make a trans-Atlantic flight in the future and this would be the perfect thing to keep me busy. I'll wait for them to sort out bugs before buying it though.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
I played a short game to Kingdom last week while on vacation on my aging TF101. It ran quite smoothly and was stable. I like the feedback and other little enhancements that were made. IMO KoDP on a tablet with touch interface is the best version.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Wait - King of Dragon Pass has an expanded version on iOS? Anyone know if it's any good?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Wait - King of Dragon Pass has an expanded version on iOS? Anyone know if it's any good?
iPad version is p. great, stable, interface is much more usable than in Android port (unfortunately for me, as I gifted my iPad and generally dislike iOS).

Sounds good. How does it compare to the original? I only played KoDP like three or four years ago and was instantly in love. Playing it on the go would be awesome but I don't want something that's watered down :)

iPad version is p. great, stable, interface is much more usable than in Android port (unfortunately for me, as I gifted my iPad and generally dislike iOS).

Sounds good. How does it compare to the original? I only played KoDP like three or four years ago and was instantly in love. Playing it on the go would be awesome but I don't want something that's watered down :)
Well, I've played a badly cracked original version more than 10 years ago, so I can't really compare. All mechanics mentioned in old walkthroughs seem to be present in iOS version, I don't think that the game was dumbed down. But still, maybe I missed something.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Shows up as incompatible with my phone which is 320x480, but who knows if the resolution is the issue and not some other thing...

CrimsonAngel

Prophet
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong

From what i can tell it is not watered down in any way shape or form.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom